Want to bring back rolling free tax on classics?

uncle silvia

Then sign here..................... :D

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/183

"Re-introduce a 30 year rolling vehicle excise duty exemption scheme, for classic vehicles. For too long now the tax exemption of classic cars has been frozen, to only apply to those manufactured before 1973. History did not simply stop in 1972. These are not cars which are driven everyday but rather on sunny weekends, to attend enthusiast shows etc.. It is vitally important that we help to preserve this important part of British motoring history."

As we know on this site, there are plenty of cool/classic cars that are worth saving and cherishing from after 1973, so why do we have to pay silly amounts of tax when others dont?? If it was a rolling time period then it would be much fairer.

Feel free to discuss............... 8)

DSCF0040.JPG

I must've signed a fair few of these in the past. Of course it would be nice but it won't happen.

Maybe, Maybe not....... but gotta be in it to win it lol :lol:

the problem with 30 years is that they will loose the revenue for all cars between 1972 and 1982. I think that they should make it 40 years which means that it will basically cost nothing

This will not happen for a couple of reasons;

There appear to be dozens of these petitions, I'm always being asked to sign one or another.

If folk got their act together & launched a petition to hammer a smaller petition over all of the straggling disparate petitions then they might be in with a chance of getting enough signatures to achieve the obligatory whatsit in Parliament.

But I don't think that the Government are interested in doing it again so it won't happen.

Can I simply suggest alternating SORN & tax on the old cars to which you are referring (like we did in the old days) and eventually DVLC may or may not realise that your old nail is costing about 30 times as much to administer as a new motor paying £30 notes a year & then something just may happen.

But I doubt it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason they don't do later cars is because you'd bring a lot of older Japanese stuff into the fold which would provide reliable daily transport and no road tax :twisted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason they don't do later cars is because you'd bring a lot of older Japanese stuff into the fold which would provide reliable daily transport and no road tax :twisted:

That was almost a complement to retro Jap cars lol :)

Another reason this will not happen is because the FBHVC are not intrested in 30 years per say, they also say not used daily, and factory spec. Which means tax free but dont use it!

It won't happen. Why not? Because it's a good, green idea that many of the public (us) would support, and no politician would be able to line his pockets from. Either of those factors is enough to kill it stone dead. Both.... forget it.

Well up here in Scotland we have a lot more to worry about if that twat Salmond and his cronies get their way.... :evil:

Independance..... what a fucking joke - leave the UK and end up in the EU - which we are already a part of...

So, we go from being a small part of a slightly larger group in a very large group to being a very small part of a very large group... or am I missing something here?

I hope the public stuff it up his arse :)

Sorry, normal service will now resume :mrgreen:

Well up here in Scotland we have a lot more to worry about if that twat Salmond and his cronies get their way.... :evil:

Independance..... what a fucking joke - leave the UK and end up in the EU - which we are already a part of...

So, we go from being a small part of a slightly larger group in a very large group to being a very small part of a very large group... or am I missing something here?

I hope the public stuff it up his arse :)

Sorry, normal service will now resume :mrgreen:

I don't quite get the Scottish independence thing either. You're Scottish, everyone knows it, the Scots are proud of it. When Scotland is independent will they suddenly become more Scottish or something?

Reminds me of people in Australia wanting to remove Liz as the head of state. Now I'm no great fan of the Royals, but it seems to be change merely for the sake of change and that costs money and does sod all.

What really worries me is the Welsh Assembly are now murmuring about independence too. Seriously, Wales has virtually no industry even compared with Scotland and England and the WAG seems more fussed with Welshness than actually creating jobs for people within Wales or just generally making it a better place to be. Twunts

/rant over

Best not to rock the boat IMHO -

we might end up with free tax but with limited mileage / no modifications / other restrictions on the use of a classic

As has happened in France and, I believe, Germany. "Old timers" and so on...

To add to what another poster wrote about the FBHVC, they have input to EU policy nowadays and contributed to the current situation as above in France and Germany :( . They are no longer the friendly independent organisation who had 'our' interests at heart and did things like organising the 'unleaded additive' tests in the early years of the millenium...

We need to be careful what we wish for. Not rocking the boat might be prudent at this time :) .

Get the tax free rolling again! Too many older cars are like pensioners, they have paid to maintain the road network and deserve more back than they get!!!!!!! 8)

We have a huge national debt and rising unemployment so the re-introduction of a rolling tax exemption is unlikely to happen any time soon, probably never. To grant this sort of perk to one sector of the motoring public whilst everyone else faces annual road tax increases would cause a huge public outcry and it would be highly irresponsible of the government to even consider it. Far better that people who use old cars keep them well maintained and continue to prove that we have no significant detrimental effect on the envirionment because make no mistake, the green lobbyists would prefer to see our cars off the road completely so this isn't a good time to press for greater perks. After all, we choose to run old cars but I'm not sure that means everyone else should pay for it.

In my humble opinion.. :wink:

Ian

Tax exempt cars aren't subject to any mileage limitation although the original idea was based on Government recognition that most vehicles in the exempted class only received limited usage for shows etc. This doesn't necessarily apply nowadays as more of us are using our old car as everyday transport. My Yugo is currently my daily driver until I eventually get the Volvo on the road. The Yugo will be 30 next year and to be honest I don't mind paying the road tax. I'd mind even less if the condition of the roads could be improved but thats another story... :roll:

The problem is that the road tax doesn't really pay for the roads. It appears to pay more for the administration of the road tax system.

If the Govt wants to save money they need to use common sense. Same goes for taxes and duties. Get something that people can't avoid and scrap all the bureaucracy.

It'll never happen of course...too many little empires would need to be destroyed.

The sensible thing would be to scrap road tax and add it to fuel duty. That way, those who drive the most pay the most and it would resolve tax evasion at a stroke... :roll: