Old Garages

bigstraight6

A few from my neck of the woods now, starting with the slightly less interesting ones, and all now gone unfortunately :cry:

This was Birchwood Garage in Beverley, pretty standard fare really:

Posted Image

This one was the Austin Rover dealer for Beverley, Armstrong Massey which started off as two separate concerns Gordon Armstrong and Masseys. They came together and sold BMC and BL cars in a couple of locations then moved here in the mid-80s IIRC. I did my school work experience here in 1990 including a full engine rebuild on a Rover 800!

They closed as Rover steadily went down the drain.

Posted Image

Crystal Ford were in the town centre in Beverley and this photo was taken just after they closed and was demolished for shops. You could just get 2 cars in the little showroom on the right and the middle was a big service area. I was always hanging around there as a kid trying to scrounge brochures and a look at the latest Orion or whatever!

Posted Image

This is my favourite, the groovy Oxford Filling Station in Hull, now demolished though it really ought to have been listed I reckon. Note my ever so cool FB Victor 8)

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 6 months later...

This is Bond's Garage in Barkway, Herts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still plenty of old skool motor trade activity going on in the workshop as I took these pics - the air was fragrant with wag and I could hear somebody giving it large with a DA sander. :lol:

Detail of those 'Summit' pumps and the 305:

Posted Image

just read a bit in our local about this place

Posted Image

seems the old couple who owned it collected loads of vehicles but sadly none left on site now the last one was moved last week to be restored it was a 12 ton marshall steamroller reg pl 1564 the building was reputed to be an alladins cave of stuff from 1931 rolls royce phantom 1954 silver dawn and a mg pa sports car

Posted Image

damn wish i,d of got there sooner would of made some good photos

On the A13 the (undoubtably) soon to be gone Dagenham motors from a couple of weeks ago in a borrowed 7! Was there thursday (in a 5!) still the same, but for how much longer? Ford fans make your pilgrimage :lol: Sorry about the quality, daughter wiped the card the hi-res were on :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Andreew have you got the picture of the time warp BL dealer on the north circular. I hope he has gentleman it's a site to behold, a large showroom sporting a c reg mk2 Cavalier, an SD1, and 2 Rover XX and much more. The brochures racks were adornded with Princess and Maxi items as well!I SHIT you not. :D

Dagenham Motors place looks great, imagine the stuff that used to trundle out of there, presumably to a Ford-loyal local public.Wuvvum and I stopped off one evening and had a look through the window of the North Circular place, marvellous. I feel happy knowing it exists, proves there are some people out there doing there own thing, for whatever reason. Got to be an interesting story or two about it.Are the SD1, 800 etc out the back of it then?The brochures are VERY familiar to me, they're spoton from the era when I was cycling round the local dealerships and I had ones like that from our local Austin-Rover (or whatever) village garage, plus Jaguar/Daimler ones from my Grandad who was transport manager at Marconi's back then. Still got them...Noticed that in the middle of it there's a little shop unit, which seems equally out of time.

I had been meaning to go round the back of the North Circular one but have forgotten. Amazing! On the way past tonight there was a mid eightes Japanese saloon (not a Bluebird but that kinda thing with £1000 across the screen right in the middle out front.I'd like to buy Dagenham motors and turn it into my house.That one in Herts looks pretty amazing too E23!

Here's one I came across on my travels last week.

It's interesting in that BP haven't sold petrol in Ireland in God knows how long. This place has probably been there since we were part of the empire...

:lol::lol::lol:

Posted Image

I didn't have time to take a photo as I was driving past, so just as well I found one on Wikipedia.

All round the back of the A406 - we spoke to the owner (who must have been in his 80's) who was not the old rotweiler you would expect. Inside there are some cracking displays, including a laminated sprint engine sign thats fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Not normally anything interesting parked outside this one but this AC was last week.

Posted Image

This is difficult to photograph but its a great turreted development on the A4 near Heathrow. I presume all four corners of the junction had one of these buildings but it seems one must have been flattened in the '60's looking at the houses that are in its place. Might now all be listed as the other corner you can't see has been refurbished and is now part of a chain hotel. I'm guessing it must be 20's/30's pseudo alpine style.

Posted Image

seems the old couple who owned it collected loads of vehicles but sadly none left on site now the last one was moved last week to be restored it was a 12 ton marshall steamroller reg pl 1564 the building was reputed to be an alladins cave of stuff from 1931 rolls royce phantom 1954 silver dawn and a mg pa sports car

Posted Image

I remember this place. Am actually amazed it has not been demolished for some retirement flats like everything else down that way. I vaguely remember trying to get in there when i was a kid but to no avail.

If the stuff is being removed i hope it is not getting pulled down. A school friend lived in one of the houses directly across the road from it and from memory the people that lived nearby quite liked it as it was, well characterful.

• 1 month later...