What does everybody for for insurance?

TheClutchBasketPodcast

Car is with Sheila's Wheels (yeah, go on, take the piss), but my heavily modified Saab is less than £200 FC (and cheaper than the standard, older, Saab I had before) and with max NCB. Needed a van, so got a 2.5 Vivaro, and Sheila's Wheels mirrored my car NCB so thats £213 a year.

Have 4 bikes on a Carole Nash multibike policy (1200cc, 900 cc,  250cc and 125 cc) with max NCB for £210, 1190cc KTM with 2 years NCB at £140 with MCE and an SV650 with 1 years NCB at £90 with Hastings, which I think is ok all in all.

But for all that I have never made a claim on any of my bike or car policies for 44 years. 

Beware on a traders policy it used to be the case they would only pay out less than bottom book regardless of fault in the case of an accident.

My father had this taking a customers car for an MOT a drunk driver collapsed at the wheel and drove straight onto the wrong side of the road without slowing smashing the front of the car - the driver behind my dad then followed in and pushed the boot towards the C pillars.

Luckily my dad wasn't too badly hurt, when montegos were newish they were tough cars!

Despite all this Co-op insurance decided an offer of £1000 below bottom book for a base model, (this was a low mileage VDP) would be more than enough to replace like for like.

Luckily the customer was understanding but it still ended up costing us a lot of money to get him a new car.

The K11 is in my wife's name with me as a named driver. It was more than that without me added on. Although it was expensive it was hundreds cheaper than a clio, fiesta and other small cars we looked at.

The pug is in my name, with my ncb and reasonable, so I think we need to shop about for more reasonable Micra cover. Or move it on.

I looked at classic policies, but none wanted to entertain having the car parked on the street.

I'd echo Wingz

I've a trade policy. Easy to get I'm with Bollington, excellent service and being a bit older than James it's a lot cheaper. I'm paying 680 can add and remove vehicles at whim online instantly.

I've Mrs 95 on as well.

I limited max value of vehicles to 8500 each

Been thinking about doing this for a while.........so bit the bullet, contacting Bollington's [who were very helpful] after a bit of haggling got me and the other 'alf on the policy ...............£870

• 3 weeks later...

Last year I was with Footman James for 4 cars and the 306 Cabrio (because not quite 20 years old) with Adrian Flux.

At that point, my FJ classic policy had four vehicles ranging from 1969 to 1992. It had unlimited miles and was about £210.

I'm the past, there have been five vehicles on the policy and that was the maximum for it.

The Pug was 18yo when first insured with AF @192 with 3k limit. Minimum age was 15yo. Then after a 4pt SP30, EU licence, increase to 5k limit (max available) it jumped to c. £320. (The same points/licence declaration with FJ incurred no increase.)

The year FJ was up to £280. AF up to £450. However FJ classic now is 3 cars max. Renewal is under some multicar scheme with apparently no limit to number of cars that can be added. Adding the Pug to it and a Volvo (so 6 cars 1969-1998) made it £292 on a 10k limit for the pool. It would have been around £380 for unlimited miles which is the next step after 10k. [Cheap CA postcode, mid forties, average rated job, additional driver, club member (not sure if club membership is a must, I've no DAF on the policy - unless you count the 77s ;) - but am member of the DAF Club Nederland. YMMV]

Still a happy customer with FJ after c. 15 years.

Flux were actually okay to deal with in cancelling the auto renew and running their policy to expiry. Didn't hassle me into staying or anything and quite different from the pressure to sell when taking out the policy 2 years back.

tl;dr call FJ for a multicar quote. Their policies have a lot of bolt-on options to cover.

£530ish a year here with 1st central. Fully comp, 9 years no claims, protected too. No other options, 16000 miles a year on the zx. 3 sp30's on that too

Amy's is £430, 5 years ncb.

We had an admiral multicar policy for a few years and I never found it any cheaper than 2 seperate ones, every year the price would go up but the phone call only bought it down to a bit above 2 seperate policies. The handy thing about it was being able to add and remove cars quite easily, handy when changing cars

I'm 38 and insured the modern Focus with Geoffrey insurance for about £300 FC without NCB which was better than expected.

3 of the others are on a classic policy with Peter James that generally costs about £200 FC including commuting and Euro breakdown.  The best bit about the classic policy is not having to phone around each year,  it's always reasonable so I don't need to.  Admin fees for changing cars are generally about £20 so I insure all the old heaps then swap anything new in place of long term projects.  I'm not fussed if the projects are insured or not, the whole policy would be 3rd party only if it was any cheaper.  A useful fact I discovered was that the minimum policy was around £200 for one car with the price going up if I was covering more than £2000 worth of cars.  Covering 4 £500 snotters was the same price as one if they were all in the same age range of 1990-1998.