Crypton Motorscope with strobe and emission tester .

cros

WTF is that then?

Its a huge piece of shit that would look great in my workshop that gives a trace of your ignition system on an oscilloscope (makes a wiggly line on a tv screen) probably the earliest  form of plugging your car into a computer.

I would love it but cant give up that much floor space just because it looks cool.

I have got one of these so to save you going to the shed this is what it should look like. You can take the stand off the bottom to get it in an estate car but they are bloody heavy old things. I have a had mine a few years now but rarely use it.

post-5515-0-30472500-1425312813_thumb.jpg

I have got one of these so to save you going to the shed this is what it should look like. You can take the stand off the bottom to get it in an estate car but they are bloody heavy old things. I have a had mine a few years now but rarely use it.

attachicon.gifrolls 327.jpg

Thanks.

I remember taking a mk2 16 sport into halfrauds for a tune up and they stuck it on one of those big yellow boxes and fiddled with some bits to get the numbers right,

the outcome was I had less money and the car was shite on the way home :shock:  I honestly think you would get on better by sticking your nose up the exhaust and once it smelt sweet job done.

To be fair when these were common, so were carbs and points, you could probably get a decent improvement on most carb-and-points shitters that turned up for a tune back in the day. Anything with injection, pretty much forget it.

My late Dad was chief design engineer for Crypton 1977 - 1982 and 1984-1986. I'm not sure where the above pic was taken, but the one previous was of a Mark l 1 Cavalier at a garage in Hinckley (iirc). I was there you see. Back then it was Ti Crypton (Tube Investments) but was later owned by FKI iirc.

It was useful for injection cars too - CO readings, cylinder drop, plug KV's etc. It could even detect a low compression on the cranking cycle. I'd like to have this just on nostalgic grounds but it's just too big.

Crypton Tuning was a byword in the late 70's and 80's. Often called Krypton Tuning or Crimpton Tuning. :-D

They are still going and based in the same building in Bridgewater.

Anyone got dibs on this yet ?

If not then may i have this please sir, and how soon does it need collecting ?

It needs to be gone by April. The missus keep catching her nightie on it when she gets out of bed.