Jump to content

XC90 forum tart 2026 work horse


Recommended Posts

Posted

Genuinely amazed it's not the CEM (and that it's been done before ).

On my 'for sale' thread @brownnova suggested the fusebox connector in the boot panel. I didn't think that was especially likely, because I couldn't see any dampness/water around there, but perhaps corrosion around there anyway? Worth a look, because I can't see how the DEM would throw up random things like 'BRAKE FAILURE' and dead dashboard, but also - I know nothing and it sounds like these guys do. 

It was 'Pelican diagnostics' who did the ABS module for me a couple of years ago.

Posted
18 minutes ago, mercedade said:

Genuinely amazed

Same mate. He said the Cem is from 2010.

Lukasz at Volvo diagnostics in Tilbury is regarded as THE top man in the country.

He said to unplug the dem and tape the male/female ends and drive it about, then read the codes etc etc.

For £30 to rule out the Cem, I'm happy, pian to get out obviously.

The dem looks miles easier, apart from being on the floor and on my back while it's on ramps. Repair the dem, replace the pump if need be and do a service should probably help it.

If the pump is drawing too much current it will blow the dem so I might just chuck £200 to £300 and gamble a bit.  There's plenty of wiggle room in the budget obviously.

Once done it will be miles better than any other 2004 in terms of value for money.

I did check that fusebox area and looks mint for damp and corrosion.

He was saying the dem would be responsible for the antiskid and can cause the problems I told him about. We'll see I guess. I know these motors are a bit of a mine field chasing ghost faults etc

Be very interesting to get to the bottom of it. Lots of testing this weekend to happen.

I'm going to let my mot tester look at it in a week or two for a pre mot check.

  • Like 3
Posted
On 04/07/2026 at 09:45, Agila said:

Consumed 

IMG_20260704_093137409_AE.jpg

BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!

Posted

Yep, my old one was displaying many of the same symptoms and after suspecting the CEM and DEM it turned out to be the connector to the fuse box causing all sorts of issues. Sorting that sorted the issue on mine and it now provides reliable* service for cms206! 

  • Like 2
Posted

Small update. It's now behaving ok. I think disconnecting the battery may have reset something. I also think the cooler weather is helping. No gearbox issues and no immobilizer issues.

Done some live data testing and I think the abs sensor is ok, definitely think it's the osf ring. It's not completely knackered but it's bad enough in places to cause a fault as it seems to read ok but spikes up occasionally.

Got it booked in for a pre mot tomorrow. Just to see what I've got, I know about the exhaust and abs, I'll see about the track rod ends. Will be interesting to see what happens.

On a lighter note I'm getting a replacement next Saturday so "big Joe" might be for sale. Mrs named it not me, after Joe 90, 

It's got to earn it's keep now and do some tip runs before mot expiry.

Car take back are offering £350 which isn't too bad, I'll offer it up here first though. Really want to see big Joe live on.

  • 5 weeks later...
Posted

Thread end update.

Big Joe is going for scrap on Thursday. Tried to offer it on here for £350 but no takers.

A mate has just bought 57 plate one today so he's had the winter rubber mats and boot mats and summer felt mats and load cover. Worth a small fortune. Plus the other new bits that came with it.

I've bought a few bits for him as an early Christmas present and finished off my drive shaft bolt as a temporary measure.

It ultimately would have needed abs ring which I failed to do, haldex repair, exhaust repair and 2 tyres, quite a few other bits.

In time and money it would have cost me too much as I'm not blessed with time and car mojo at the minute.

Got an Adam to replace Big Joe.

Screenshot_20260822-194056.eBay.png

Posted

Drive shaft bolt misery while pissed up. Extractored while hungover.

Driveshaft didn't budge and car also needs a timing belt and waterpunp.

When it snapped I was in a rage and pissed up and rung car take back.

Also needs 5 engine mounts which are a small fortune for genuine Volvo, febi are £250 for 5 and some are a bastard to do.

Thanks for reading. Wave 👋 

IMG_20260815_193554011_AE.jpg

IMG_20260815_193610525_AE.jpg

IMG_20260816_141014128_AE.jpg

IMG_20260816_141019622_AE.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...