Loopoo going to Car Take Back now

purplebargeken

Can ignore the EML now but can’t ignore the transfer of oil from the engine to the front of the car, including the hot manifold. 
Will try the fuel cap again tomorrow.

Rest of it is faffing about stuff but have lost patience and enthusiasm for it totally.

A service is always worthwhile, I presume yours has a coil pack rather than a coil and distributor ?

Make sure you use the correct PAS fluid, those should use green CHF.

Oil leaks from the top are usually the rocker cover gasket. Liberal application of Reizosil with a new gasket, and replacing the stupid rocker cover bolts should fix it.

@bunglebus is correct about the fuel cap. If it spins it's locked, and they can be temperamental. I'd normally replace them with a non-locking version.

I imagine it is a coil pack one.

Aye, same as my T4, I have a bottle of it here.

Cheers re rocker cover tips 😊

Will look at it again tomorrow but the non-locking option appeals hugely.

Yep, rocker cover fucked, looks like it’s been a tad bodged previously and likely just unfortunate timing.  
Febi temp sensor arrived and fitted in a matter of seconds, no more dribble, phew. 
Sony Xplode Radio and CD player fitted. 

Loopoo dislike reduced by 12.7 percent.

Non-locking fuel cap has landed, can not be arsed with faffing around with a temperamental locking fuel cap.  

Found 4 or 5 spare dodo hex sound deadening mat. Will fling this at the underside of the bonnet as it’s just metal. 
Why not, it was just lying around.

Sound deadening mat applied. Can’t tell you if it makes it any quieter as oil pisses out of it when running. Getting that sorted on Friday afternoon along with the recurring EML light.

Some Lupos came with underbonnet sound insulation as standard. I had retrofitted it to Mrs F's car, but it was still deafening at 70 due to the gear ratios of the 1-litre box.

I chose the rather more involved option of installing the 1.4-litre box to quieten my own Lupo down. It worked brilliantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully it will take the edge off it,  anything motorway will be the T4 or the Jag lol.

Fair play to you trying to make it 100% right. Seems a lot of Lupos have the EML on, I need to fit a lambda spacer to ours to try and stop it coming on regularly 

Well I have it now and have sunk money into it, so may as well plod on. It will be fine once sorted but has cost me a fair few quid. There were probably better cars out there for the money, such is the AS way tho.

Cripes, you've not been having much luck with it - hopefully the new rocker cover will signal the end of your woes.

They are good cars but probably just suffering from the attitude of cheap car so don't bother maintaining it unless it won't move/fails MoT

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yeah, am hopeful as it is pretty much pissing out, being somewhat overfilled didn’t help. Will have an oil and filter change when the gasket is sorted.  Have Pela pumped some oil out to a normal level too.

Yeah, agreed. At least the body is solid.

Poor maintenance and a minging interior. Would have enjoyed the challenge a few years ago, much less now tbh.

Ffs, booked a mobile mechanic to come and do the rocker cover gasket and check the EML light, twice he couldn’t be arsed turning up. Well fuck you. Will do the gasket myself but there is a bewildering choice on eBay and the fb Lupo group can’t be arsed responding to my posts.

Which fecking gasket do I go for and what do I replace the shit VW rocker cover bolts with??

For the gasket, I think all UK-spec 1-litre models use the same one. Don't take my word for it, though ; search the Reinz online catalogue with your engine code.

As mentioned earlier, ignore what the VW workshop manual says and put a thin smear of sealant everywhere.

Stupid bolts are dealership-only, and £OUCH. I wouldn't substitute them with high-tensile bolts, as they won't clamp the rocker cover correctly, and you'll inevitably torque them up too much and bugger the threads (which go into the camshaft bearing caps - i.e. not something you want to be replacing).

• Like 2

Ours decided to put the EML on after an oil change for some reason. It then went off but would return on random occasions. Could be a connection got knocked when changing the oil filter?

Changing the fuel filter was worthwhile while for "performance". It's not that difficult to do - disable the fuel pump, jack up rear of car, remove filter near rear wheel, replace.

• Like 1

Loopoo has just been valeted inside, so is 98 percent less minging now.

Would normally do it myself but my spine and left leg say bollocks to that shit. 
Lad doing it is 19 and only started 3 months ago, I have him a couple of trade valeting products and got a decent discount in return. Bloody good luck to him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, purplebargeken said:

Loopoo has just been valeted inside, so is 98 percent less minging now.

Would normally do it myself but my spine and left leg say bollocks to that shit. 
Lad doing it is 19 and only started 3 months ago, I have him a couple of trade valeting products and got a decent discount in return. Bloody good luck to him.

What seats have you got? I like the coloured ones but they do get minging easily

IMG-20210102-WA0015 IMG-20210102-WA0013

They still need another wet vac

20210102_154802

• Like 2

Plain’ish grey, would be ok apart from a wear hole on the side bolster on the drivers seat.

The yellow seats are cool!

Non-locking pez cap fitted. No more fucking around.

Headlining cleaning completed. Looking pretty tidy in the cabin now. 

• Like 3

I had to bin two perfectly usable seats a while ago, one had a knackered tilt mechanism but the material was all good. Just couldn't shift them so they went to the tip!

You on any of the many FB groups, always cars being broken on there...

It’s something that I can live with for now. Finding the fb groups are ok if you want to go low stance and so on.

Fucking bastard wanky Lupo.

Went to take it to get the rocker cover done, bastard took a while to start, then idled erratically. AA bloke came out, scanned it and it’s the throttle body that’s fucked now. Roughly 200 or so quid for the part, then getting it fitted, sorting the oil leak, plugs, oil change blah blah blah. Getting a price for CTB and the mechanic knows someone who buys them and will give them a ring too.

Either way, bye bye Lupo as I have wasted enough money on the cunting thing.

If anyone wants the entire car for spares or repair they can have it for CTB money.

New clutch and EGR fitted.

• Sad 2

CTB engaged, bye bye Loopoo.

Bunglebus, I have messaged you about a few bits if you might be interested mate.

• purplebargeken changed the title to Loopoo going to Car Take Back now

Drewd popped over to have a gander over the Lupo. We took off the top cover, partially removed the throttle body, gave it and the base a good blast with some cleaner, took a piccie of the serial number and refitted it all. The bastard started, idled and drove perfectly. No lights on the dash.

Will enquire tomorrow about getting the rocker cover leak fix priced up with my T4 guru and see how it goes from there. Update tomorrow.

Now on fb marketplace. Not getting the oil leak done. If not sold in a weeks time it will go to CTB. No more money wasted on it from my perspective. 
300 quid on here if anyone wants it. Seems to be running ok now, just the oil leak to contend with.