Operation Saab shufflage

Tomtation

• Tomtation changed the title to Operation Saab shufflage

OK, so a successful swap has occurred. I swapped my C900 16v n/a for a 220,000 mile auto 9-3 B205E. Its quite different! More refined but less fun, I could really chuck the 900 around and it'd grip like shit. This thing though feels much more bloated and unsettled, hopefully that'll improve with the roof being clamped down properly.

Bye bye 900 👋

20230915_163016.thumb.jpg.d0dc86bc8c04ca43109588a18888c502.jpg

20230915_162552.thumb.jpg.8d8526801e8f91ab030e6e18d5635441.jpg

I've been using the 9-3 over the last week and have made plans. There are a few things I'll want to do before I have confidence to commute in it a few times a week.

Hello 9-3! ( Photos stolen fron Alan, previous custodian)

IMG_0277.JPG.756fe07cd2fbabbf9a3116f607622e42.thumb.jpeg.470f4f6ac8d28878872ac89cd13eb3a8.jpeg.310911dff4fa7876ad5f203693c480bb.jpeg

33C48D45-5616-434C-AFD4-A5EFB388C801.jpeg.a346c0fa7791d4666cb537dd3fc9fae9.thumb.jpeg.5d1b0c689998601ad9dc3281b0fde338.jpeg.3d4e25f5f797cadb0b2db56d6afbae9b.jpeg

PCV system - these early turbos have a reputation for oil sludge, I'm mot sure if this one has had the updated PCV system but it is pretty oily back there! I intend to get the £60 kit from NeoBros

Sump - again I'm unsure if this has been dropped to check for sludge and oil pick-up restriction, so I will do that. Again NeoBros do a kit with all the seals and gaskets required - £150 odd with the above kit too

I'm getting a smell of gas/LPG just before it switches over, so will get the LPG system serviced. It also has a wobbly few seconds when the autobox changes up on the rev limit, doesn't do it on pez.

Roof - seems partly disconnected, I plan to try and reassemble it and maybe even get it working. The rear doesn't quite clamp down without a bungee or cable tie and the whole roof rattles! One of the 1st things I'll do is to see if it has hydraulic oil in it still.

EML - plugged my new OBD into it today, cylinder 3+4 lean condition and a DIC related error. The fuel pump is whining and the idle is a little high, so fuel filter to replace and vacuum lines to check. It runs damn well really though and doesn't feel underpowered for the LPT version. Codes cleared and not returned after driving around town 🤞

I'm trying not to listen to the rattle in the chain region 🤣 It could be the tensioner

Autobox fluid, looks a piece of piss to change so why not.

Passenger side gearbox or engine mount - got a knock from standstill or sudden heavy acceleration, is not a nice noise so needs dealing with I think!

That should keep me busy!

The high idle is probably because one of the hard vacuum lines is broken and I bodged it with cable ties (from memory if you look at the line from the vacuum pump to the brake servo it has a T in it that goes to the intake manifold, the break is one side of the non-return valve).

I think the LPG injector block can be dismantled and cleaned, a couple of partly blocked injectors could be causing the lean running.

9 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

The high idle is probably because one of the hard vacuum lines is broken and I bodged it with cable ties (from memory if you look at the line from the vacuum pump to the brake servo it has a T in it that goes to the intake manifold, the break is one side of the non-return valve).

I think the LPG injector block can be dismantled and cleaned, a couple of partly blocked injectors could be causing the lean running.

Cheers dude, will inspect those vacuum lines 👍

if its the same engine as goes in the 9-5 the chain rattle could well be the top guide. Its made of rubber and goes hard over time.  Its a quick and easy job. Hardest bit is getting the cam cover gasket to stay in place when you reassemble 

Alan kindly messaged me about the Saab when I was looking for one but it was needing a bit too much doing for me - my shite tinkering mojo is low at the moment. I didn't know about the chain rattle. Looks like it has gone to the right person though and you've got a plan. I like these OG93s, maybe I'll own one some day.

Thanks for the replies chaps, all good info for me. My mojo isn't at its best either tbh but I am full of grot (cold).

I'm having terribly naughty thoughts of getting a noob tune ECU for it once the PCV and sump are done 👹

• Like 2

slightly off topic, but have never seen these type houses outside the West Midlands

Mucklow Houses IIRC

image.png.b1934ac5ac87222c1a735be263c7e73b.png

The Mucklow houses were also reasonably popular in Lancashire.

I contemplated the Noobtune but it wasn't brave enough.

Pros:

1) Will go like fuck

Cons:

1) LPG system would need upgrading/replacing to keep up

2) May finish off elderly head gasket/autobox/various other expensive or difficult to replace items.

18 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

I contemplated the Noobtune but it wasn't brave enough.

Pros:

1) Will go like fuck

Cons:

1) LPG system would need upgrading/replacing to keep up

2) May finish off elderly head gasket/autobox/various other expensive or difficult to replace items.

This is pretty much my exact thought process 🤣 tbh I could do without the anxiety BUT do want the GLF bit!