Marshalls GS (and other vehicles) slight update

Marshall2810

I suspect one of the pipes to the right of the purple cloth has fractured and the LHM is jetting across.

If it is one of the 3.5mm pipes I have a smallish quantity of pipe and pipe fittings so if it isn't a terrible long pipe I could make you up a replacement if required and post it to you (FOC).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

I suspect one of the pipes to the right of the purple cloth has fractured and the LHM is jetting across.

If it is one of the 3.5mm pipes I have a smallish quantity of pipe and pipe fittings so if it isn't a terrible long pipe I could make you up a replacement if required and post it to you (FOC).

Absolute hero mate, thats really kind thank you 

• Like 1

Had another quick look this morning and believe I think* I've identified the pipe that's leaking.....

20241007_103602.jpg.c3c10b04d49d0329976146fb31f41543.jpg

It's the U shaped one illuminated, buried deep and rusted to f#@k. From looking at the diagrams in haynes I'm still not sure what bit it is but it's some kind of junction, possibly that one, possibly not. It's the only high pressure line junction that looks similar.

20241008_125128.jpg.2d1007595c0f7f71646388cfb4d7854a.jpg

Looks like someone's already had a go and rounded the nut off or its just rusted away so I'll probably end up having to take the clutch cable out (if that's what's covered with the black box) to improve access. Won't be a quick job anyhow

20241006_115205.jpg.403af6c33ba9115ec97713fcebdd40d8.jpg

On a more positive note the front of the car rose up when the system pressurised so would suggest the fault is the line to rear suspension.

20241007_103105.jpg.eba27e117cd80f554aa7e7a23bc01ba8.jpg

She wants to live! 

2 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

I would suggest cutting the pipe off flush with the fitting and using a socket to remove, if it's rounded hammer on a smaller socket 

Thanks for that sound advice mate,  I'll try and do a bit more over the weekend. They're all looking pretty crusty and as the system is only as strong as it's weakest point I'll probably end up renewing a few. 

On 10/10/2024 at 21:59, jonathan_dyane said:

I'll try and remember to check how much pipe I have, probably a couple of meters

On 13/10/2024 at 09:58, bangernomics said:

What is the pipe size and fitting size pitch? May have a bit too.

Thanks to both of you, I'll definitely shout up should I need anything and grateful for all the help I can get with this one. I'm very lucky to have a guy in basically the next village (Tower Citroen in Retford) who can knock them up for buttons. Access and space is more of the problem currently. 

So small update on the GS....

There has thankfully been some progress, the pump gaiter is no longer leaking but I'm still not happy with the big jubilee clips, still not sitting right on the pump. On Thursday I'll be getting the proper "Ligarex" clips on it to hopefully get that issue put to bed. They are 5mm wide and there's actually grooves where they go on the pump for a snug fit. 

The leaking pipe deep in the engine bay is proving troublesome to put it politely. Having tried spanners, mole grips etc to try and get at it I ended up taking off the clutch cable shroud to try and improve access. 

20241015_152217.jpg.91b5a2c063819c2ebac436f00954f935.jpg

Total faff and some interesting bolts...

20241015_152411.jpg.7289a96d5fc49189fab1fe1a3fb0d746.jpg

Alas this still didn't allow me to get enough purchase on the offending nut. Well worth trying though and the split pin holding the cable to the pedal was absent so potential disaster avoided. 

So last resort was to cut it flush with the nut and get a socket on it. And thats great until you realise theres literally no room to do just that. 

After much tea and mince pies, a rare moment of enlightenment arrived and looking at it through the steering column rubber.....bingo. Enough of an angle to allow a socket to be whacked on.....just

20241013_1342032.jpg.a4d4d8b426ece991be104e98d1f40000.jpg

How the Lord smiles on us...

20241013_142545.jpg.109f23b26019cd8bcc51017d34b13417.jpg

At least that's one end out. 

Having jacked up the front successfully using railway sleepers and wood offcuts I followed the pipe back towards the arse end expecting to find a join or junction but nothing. One huge pipe front to back heading over the fuel tank. 

There is an access hatch that exposes what looks like the rear height corrector 

20241014_112413.jpg.0b6aaf9c847c204deae1ad421b5141bf.jpg

so its one of the four hard lines going into the x4 way connector top left. Jacking up the rear is very interesting, unlike the front has no suspension components exposed.

20241015_154236.jpg.ab771ba9f5330d0d94d36e6dc3b7b4fc.jpg

It's literally a fuel tank in between the  rear wheels, x2 areas to protect the rear suspension and boot floor. Despite the sills having been repaired I really dont want to be lifting it using them if possible despite them being the correct jacking points but I can't currently see a workaround so getting under it safely is an issue. 

Having discussed a plan forward with folk on here, my mechanic and an MOT station about using a repair section it's an option. 

Screenshot_20241013_174126_Chrome.jpg.ffadc5d6a62b7ae772dae67c2e7ee1ad.jpg

Someone's said absolutely not, others including my mechanic and MOT station have said if installed correctly absolutely yes.

In an ideal world I'd have a ramp, pit and access aplenty, unfortunately it isn't and I don't. With the car fighting me currently, getting it to raise (and then be supported) by itself would help hugely. I know it's not the car, it's just how it is.  My citroen guy has recommended it as a solution and has used them on C5s when unable to make up/access pipes. The place selling these is an MOT station themselves, said they have sold hundreds and would have no issue with a repair such as this being presented at MOT. I'm conflicted but think this could be a temporary solution to allow it to be moved and gone through and have the lines made up at a later date. If it fails then I'm left with what I currently have, a GS pissing out high pressure LHM all over the place.  

I'll see how things go, get the pump sorted and maybe some of the cars front back together. 

You're getting on well!

You should be fine to lift it with a jack under each side of the rear subframe (to L and R of fuel tank) probably using a block of wood as a pad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marshall2810 said:

Thanks to both of you, I'll definitely shout up should I need anything and grateful for all the help I can get with this one. I'm very lucky to have a guy in basically the next village (Tower Citroen in Retford) who can knock them up for buttons. Access and space is more of the problem currently. 

So small update on the GS....

There has thankfully been some progress, the pump gaiter is no longer leaking but I'm still not happy with the big jubilee clips, still not sitting right on the pump. On Thursday I'll be getting the proper "Ligarex" clips on it to hopefully get that issue put to bed. They are 5mm wide and there's actually grooves where they go on the pump for a snug fit. 

The leaking pipe deep in the engine bay is proving troublesome to put it politely. Having tried spanners, mole grips etc to try and get at it I ended up taking off the clutch cable shroud to try and improve access. 

20241015_152217.jpg.91b5a2c063819c2ebac436f00954f935.jpg

Total faff and some interesting bolts...

20241015_152411.jpg.7289a96d5fc49189fab1fe1a3fb0d746.jpg

Alas this still didn't allow me to get enough purchase on the offending nut. Well worth trying though and the split pin holding the cable to the pedal was absent so potential disaster avoided. 

So last resort was to cut it flush with the nut and get a socket on it. And thats great until you realise theres literally no room to do just that. 

After much tea and mince pies, a rare moment of enlightenment arrived and looking at it through the steering column rubber.....bingo. Enough of an angle to allow a socket to be whacked on.....just

20241013_1342032.jpg.a4d4d8b426ece991be104e98d1f40000.jpg

How the Lord smiles on us...

20241013_142545.jpg.109f23b26019cd8bcc51017d34b13417.jpg

At least that's one end out. 

Having jacked up the front successfully using railway sleepers and wood offcuts I followed the pipe back towards the arse end expecting to find a join or junction but nothing. One huge pipe front to back heading over the fuel tank. 

There is an access hatch that exposes what looks like the rear height corrector 

20241014_112225.jpg.590d90f85c1b8f0f764d27b2292ac058.jpg

20241014_112413.jpg.0b6aaf9c847c204deae1ad421b5141bf.jpg

so its one of the four hard lines going into the x4 way connector top left. Jacking up the rear is very interesting, unlike the front has no suspension components exposed.

20241015_154236.jpg.ab771ba9f5330d0d94d36e6dc3b7b4fc.jpg

It's literally a fuel tank in between the  rear wheels, x2 areas to protect the rear suspension and boot floor. Despite the sills having been repaired I really dont want to be lifting it using them if possible despite them being the correct jacking points but I can't currently see a workaround so getting under it safely is an issue. 

Having discussed a plan forward with folk on here, my local and an MOT station about using a repair section it's an option. 

Screenshot_20241013_174126_Chrome.jpg.ffadc5d6a62b7ae772dae67c2e7ee1ad.jpg

Someone's said absolutely not, others including my mechanic and MOT station have said if installed correctly absolutely yes.

In an ideal world I'd have a ramp, pit and access aplenty, unfortunately it isn't and I don't. With the car fighting me currently, getting it to raise (and then be supported) by itself would help hugely. I know it's not the car, it's just how it is.  My citroen guy has recommended it as a solution and has used them on C5s when unable to make up/access pipes. The place selling these is an MOT station themselves, said they have sold hundreds and would have no issue with a repair such as this being presented at MOT. I'm conflicted but think this could be a temporary solution to allow it to be moved and gone through and have the lines made up at a later date. If it fails then I'm left with what I currently have, a GS pissing out high pressure LHM all over the place.  

I'll see how things go, get the pump sorted and maybe some of the cars front back together. 

20241003_122512.jpg

20241012_113553.jpg

20241013_133529.jpg

20241014_112225.jpg

20241013_133529.jpg

I'll hold my hand up as being the guy that said 'no dont do it'  👋

Having said that, if it gets you out the shit, then why not. Id be much happier to use it on a copper or kunifer pipe than a steel one as i expect the olives will bite in better.

I didnt realise or had forgotten the GS had that access panel in the back, Im pretty sure none of my GSA's did. Maybe estates did, i only had one GSA estate.

I try not to look at this thread too much as I just get all wibbly & exciteable over the car 🤣

15 minutes ago, jonathan_dyane said:

You're getting on well!

You should be fine to lift it with a jack under each side of the rear subframe (to L and R of fuel tank) probably using a block of wood as a pad.

Cheers mate, so is that the areas protecting the suspension spheres? 

13 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

I'll hold my hand up as being the guy that said 'no dont do it'  👋

Having said that, if it gets you out the shit, then why not. Id be much happier to use it on a copper or kunifer pipe than a steel one as i expect the olives will bite in better.

I didnt realise or had forgotten the GS had that access panel in the back, Im pretty sure none of my GSA's did. Maybe estates did, i only had one GSA estate.

I try not to look at this thread too much as I just get all wibbly & exciteable over the car 🤣

Thanks mate I value and appreciate your thoughts. We're all on a journey together and fingers crossed can keep it going 

• Marshall2810 changed the title to Marshalls GS (and other vehicles) slight update
2 hours ago, Marshall2810 said:

Cheers mate, so is that the areas protecting the suspension spheres?  

I always tended to go further forward than that, the area under the suspension cylinder rather than the sphere

• Thanks 1