Jake tests buzzweld paint.

jakebullet

Last disco MOT I had an advisory for "all chassis and underside of vehicle corroding" which makes me rather miffed as I spent a lot of time with a needle gun before painting it with rust buster epoxy mastic rust proofing paint. There's an element of MOT man hates me, as I think it's a cunning plan to make the car unsalable to anyone who checks MOT history. Obvs he doesn't know no car ever makes it out alive from my ownership. While it's not as bad as he describes it is rusting again in places. Boo!

So I think I need a new paint system. Before I have a really shit time with air tools I'm going to test the paint first.

I'm going with products from https://www.buzzweld.co.uk/ as they have lots of reviews from other idiots afflicted with land rovers.

To the test!

First take a chunk of steel and leave it out in the rain for a month or two:

IMG_20210225_155610.thumb.jpg.ddc03b19a31df8a13593ccb470b90aac.jpg

I'm hoping this is similar / worse rust levels after needle gunning.

I've then applied 2 coats of rust encapsulator chassis which is supposed to convert rust to not rust, and be a primer.
Then 2 coats of chassis in one paint.
Then 2 coats of WAR, which if you believe the guff is a hybrid of underseal and wax. Deffo strange stuff.

So I now have:

IMG_20210225_155620.thumb.jpg.e4282c3dc877cb65292e10b7ea9be3a2.jpg

Rusty metal at the top as a control, 1/4 rust  converter, 1/4  converter + CIO, 1/4 converter/ CIO / WAR.

I now need a test bed. Like smoll car:

IMG_20210225_161455.thumb.jpg.9d2f99559dffb33ef3f9471dea2b2cc0.jpg

I suspect we'll still be getting crap weather and salty roads, so a few months of road spray should test it fairly well.

The tester will sometimes advise on a car that comes in especially one as crusty as Discos get if when on the ramps it’s absolutely slathered in underseal literally to cover his own arse because there always going to be one dodge pot that covers up a rusty as fuck car with a hundred weight of underseal. Not that this is what you’ve done there but that’s the reasoning in that instance. 

21 hours ago, sierraman said:

The tester will sometimes advise on a car that comes in especially one as crusty as Discos get if when on the ramps it’s absolutely slathered in underseal literally to cover his own arse because there always going to be one dodge pot that covers up a rusty as fuck car with a hundred weight of underseal. Not that this is what you’ve done there but that’s the reasoning in that instance. 

I've seen comments of the likes "chassis heavily undersealed" on the advisories, surely that's the right way to do it. 

As for chassis treatment, I've come round to the idea that grease/wax based sealant that doesn't dry out (unlike Waxol) would be better than something that dries out and let's the rust come in from behind is better. 

I still favour the ecologically dubious but highly effective engine oil underseal technique, because inexpensive (well actually free). My new compressor comes with one of those little paraffin cleaning tools which will spray engine oil without thinning it and doesn't make a horrible mess in the process. I did my Land Rover without any drips or mess on the driveway. It also makes undoing bolts much easier.

10 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

/\ This is the point 100 bikers step in with you really should do that with waste oil.

As I say it doesn't drip once applied, my dad has been doing the same thing for decades but brush applied (which usually leaves a Turin shroud Land Rover outline on his drive in oil), but it doesn't seem to drip any further once applied.

Oil isn't as big an issue as diesel for making roads slippery for bikes, road film is much more lethal in my experience, either in spring when the road has been covered in shit for months or when it rains after a prolonged dry spell.

• 6 months later...

Let's see how my test is doing:

IMG_20210831_133707.thumb.jpg.c41ed1010468b785d644e9cc41f99e56.jpg

Primer on it's own looks to be failing, mostly from creep from untreated rusty bit I think. Other two  bits look good though.

For giggles I also tried patches on moar seriously rusty metal:

IMG_20210831_133721.thumb.jpg.5646f4c26777ea9e1c471be0aefb8d6c.jpg

WAR at top doesn't look terrible (lifting at edges), primer in middle okish, chassis in one at bottom not happy. Bit of an unfair test.

Next job, try and find clean steel on disco and do lots of painting. Before winter. Hmmm.