Who fancies an old Renault - or two?

Renault18

Right, this is it - New Year, New Resolution - well nearly.I've currently got 9 examples of France's finest sitting at my house and to be honest, you can only have so much of a good thing, so I wish to sell a couple of cars.Firstly, my 1985 gold R18 Auto (which works) low mileage. This car is immaculate and whilst out of MOT now went straight through last year, along with new tyres x4, complete exhaust, cambelt kit, new hoses etc. Loads of history and could probably go to a show.Secondly, my silver 1981 Fuego GTS with a canvas roof. Stored for 10 years, very solid, but needs arches, again low mileage and runs and drives well, although it needs a pair of replacement engine mounts which are still available. Looks extremely good and the interior is too. Needs MOT.NOW - I'm mentioning this here; A. Because there are quite a few nutters like me who hang around these parts, and. . . B. As the prospect of them going on Ebay in order to make a nice banger racer fills me with horror.PM me if you are interested - A sensible offer WILL be accepted - I know what they're worth and a lot it ain't!! :D:D:D

without wanting to upset you, renaults and most other french stuff aren't worth racing because the metal is too thin .raced an 18 about 11 years ago because it was free one hit in the front and smashed the waterpump off and that was that.the fuego is no good either as cars have to have a metal roof so i would think their both safe

I'd be tempted by the 18, but I already have three old Renaults and I think that's more than enough for any one man (with the exception of your good self and Mr Bickle, obviously). Agree though that old Renners are generally not very well suited to banger racing - the metal on the 9 is paper thin and dents at the drop of a hat (anyone got a good bonnet for a series 1 R9?) and I've bought kitchen foil thicker than the panels on the 6. As Reginald Rhythm pointed out though, Fuegos do seem to be making half decent money on the Bay recently as resto projects, so it might be worth listing that one on there.

In the latest 'Classic Car Weekly' has 3 entries under Renault (more than most then!). Perhaps backing up my point, the cheapest is £600 and that's for an R18 American 1983, 77k, tax Apr 08, MOT Mar 08.Rising sharply now, we have an R5 GTL 1981, 2438 miles, 12 months MOT, dry stored 23 yrs, £1500.Now heading vertically upwards & hitting dizzy heights, R15 TL, 1976, 17k, 12 months MOT, 12 months tax, £4299.You can make up your own minds on this. :shock:

do tell us all about your collection, as a lot of garlic eating car collectors are all coming out of the closet at the moment i have just got photobucket account so watch this space !!ps not trying for free advertising but have got quite alot of shite renault parts around if any body is stuck PM me

do tell us all about your collection, as a lot of garlic eating car collectors are all coming out of the closet at the moment

At the moment, the older stuff is limited to:

1979 18TL

1981 Fuego GTS

1983 18 American

1984 11 Electronic (was my Dad's from new)

1985 18 Auto

Plus (sorry) :roll::roll::roll:

2xMegane Sport 1.6 16v coupe (one breaking)

1xMegane Fidji Hatch (bought as damaged, now repaired)

1xMegane Sport Tourer

Once I've broken the coupe for spares and sold the hatch, along with (hopefully) the 18 Auto and the Fuego, I will be able to do some of the minor jobs to the two other 18s.

I certainly won't be buying any more old Renault shite...

no, I won't...

seriously - certainly not a 1.7 Supercinq, or an R8 - no, certainly ... not :wink:

without wanting to upset you, renaults and most other french stuff aren't worth racing because the metal is too thin

I also remember Car magazine stripping, painting and preping a R18 for an article in the early 90's. The found out that they should have got a Cortina instead after the first lap...Got any pictures of the '79 R18? I quite like the early ones with chrome bumpers.

I also remember Car magazine stripping, painting and preping a R18 for an article in the early 90's. The found out that they should have got a Cortina instead after the first lap...

Yes that's right, it was the car from the 'Edinburgh on a Monkey' article covered in a previous thread..Apparently they couldnt sell it or even give it away! :(

1xMegane Fidji Hatch (bought as damaged, now repaired)1xMegane Sport Tourer

Pardon my ignorance Mr 18 but what is a Fidji is that some sort of special edition?and the Sport Tourer, can't be the MkI estate unless you imported it as a left hooker?Oh and to quote something that somebody said, just click the quote button at the top right of the message. You can then edit it to show just the bit you want to pick up on by deleting the rest of the message, assuming you don't want to quote the whole thing.

The "Fidji" name has been used by Renault in order to signify the fact that they got a good deal on a job load of Britax sunroofs and side stripes since 1994 when they used the name on a special edition Clio.The Megane Fidji was a special based on the mid range Expression trim, but with the Dynamique seats (part Leather in later cars like mine), a single CD and alloys.The Sport Tourer is a new Megane in estate form - without the fat backend, but with loads of bootspace (more than a Laguna) and lots of rear legroom, unlike the hatch! Renault never brought the earlier Megane estate over here when it was introduced in late '99.

Renault never brought the earlier Megane estate over here when it was introduced in late '99.

Yes that was a strange decision from Renault but judging by the fact that the current one is available here, a decision they obviously regretted. Likewise with the Twingo.

Shame that now they have seen sense and brought in the Twingo, in Mk2 form it has lost all the innovation and novelty of the original.

Megane Sport Tourers seem to be cracking value both new and secondhand so I have been thinking could be in the frame to replace my wife's Fabia when the time comes, but I can't help but be worried about long-term reliability based upon how the Mk2 Laguna has fared!

Having said that, you could say this about most vehicles on sale today. My boss's 55-plate BMW 523i has been at the dealers for six days to try and resolve an intermittent fault with the ventilation fan. Lucky it's still in warranty.

I have suggested he sells it on before this expires and buys some shite as he only does 10 miles a day :wink:

Back on topic...can I also request pics of the '79 R18? Lovely car, remember them from the '79 Renner full range brochure which was like a miniature novel, fantastic.

Got any pictures of the '79 R18? I quite like the early ones with chrome bumperstried to the quote thing but kept going wrong on preview anyway just say if thereare any 18s left needing chrome bumpers i have got some brand new ones hiding in my stores oh and some orange indicators must go now as got to figure photobucket out

Now, I'm REALLY hoping that I don't speak too soon, however I have to say that I didn't have a moment of trouble with my my 55 plate 1.6 16 valve Sport Tourer in the course of 20,000 miles and after a while with a 56 plate Scenic, which used more fuel than I've ever known a car use, I've just bought another Megane Sport Tourer. If it's as quiet, economical and reliable as the first, I'll be well-pleased.

Here's the early TL.

Posted Image

Posted Image

hi to renault 18 (obviously another nutcase)love the TL -no rubber trim on TL bumpers ,remembering that very early cars have got mechanical fans reminded me i have got 3 brand new early radiators in store ,was going to try ebay but didnt think there was any cars that old left in UKif you pay postage or collect i would love you to have a FREE spare one as i am so overwhelmed with the colour how is the interior as most TL seats fell apart but TS/GTS much betteroh and ive got 5sp 1397 TL box as well but might want money for that think you will have to try ebay to sell your car or renault class*c car club (are you a member) as most renault fans seem well stocked already i was unable to persuade the 25v6 limo owner to advertise his GTX diesel estate and MINT GTS Breg saloon and as i had no space they were both crushed last year :shock: fellow renault fans may be upset as also crushed complete were Renault7 and USA spec MK1 5 air con and silly bumpers (would love to have turned up at Classic American car show with it )good luck finding new homes paulps agree 18s and Fgos crap Bangers -Renault 16 much better (raced over 100 !)

Wow. In green too, thats even nicer than I expected. Its seems quite a number of 16's have been cherished - there must have been at least 10 at Bromley, so fair play to you for looking after the 18. Something about low spec french cars that turn me on.....