What Is Wrong With 1978 TR7s?

62 Austin

https://youtu.be/dix7tzxE3ig?t=85

I saw the commercial with the car going into the pie-shaped garage & even a wedge tent next to an Amerindian Tipi. In one youtube video a commentator said it looked like a cheese triangle with proper headlights.

Then there was the essayist fosknine9 and his Goest Forth By Half Measures:

``Why  do they always put these shitty, wimpy engines in cars like this? They did the same thing with the DeLorean. They took a car that looked really cool and put the smallest, shittiest motor they could find into it. I know it´s all about cost & ease of manufacturing but Christ almighty. It seems they always go with the worst motor.´´

I recently expressed an interest in the oldest known TR7. Its a 1974 pre production model in yellow. It used to be LHD for some reason but has been converted to RHD and is registered on a R plate.

It was behind a load of other cars the chap owns so I've not had a good look but it looked in good nick.

He said its not put together like any other TR7, its been chucked together in a hurry, maybe for a press release or something. Apparently its absolutely shocking to drive so sounds spot on for me.

He has plans to move it on at some point soon so I told him to give me shout when he does. I have no idea of the price yet though, probably more than I am willing to pay just for the novelty value of it being the first one but am keeping my toe in the water in case its in my miserly price range.

Purdey , Doyle and Tony Pond.

All heroes from my formative years, all TR7 drivers. They must be OK.

I actually drove an almost new one a few times and even as an 18 year old I thought it was more 2 seater saloon than sports car. In fact the first time I drove a Merc SLK I was reminded of a TR7.

Tony Pond.....get the correct provenance with your TR7post-20451-0-04827200-1508831362_thumb.jpg

Or he just couldn't wait to hand the keys over to someone else...

HillmanImp´s post about the 1974 prototype is interesting. Shocking to drive cuz it´s so good _ _ _ or nobody can believe it runs after being tossed together?

The white one on ebay has got two bids now. Someone hazarded $510...then another brave lad tendered $520. Talk about Full Speed and Damn the Expense! That´s about what a cellphone costs.

I wonder if history might have been kinder to the TR7 if it had only been released as a convertible like all previous TRs?

Ive never driven one but even if theyre not great I can't believe they can be as bad as their reputation... Is this another car like the 924 that got panned by the brand enthusiasts at the time because it wasnt what they wanted/expected and a lot of their negativity stuck?

I would love a TR7 though.

I only drove one once and that was in the mid Eighties in Berlin, when I swapped cars for a week with a colleague.

It was in this beautiful blue they had and had the black interior with the blue accents, a remarkably good looking car.

But I found it woefully underpowered and unrefined. Of course I can't tell whether it was out of tune and had knackered

bushes, or something, since I never drove another example for comparison.

All I can say is that my conclusion was/is that they are terrific lookers that are terrible to drive.

So yes, I'd love to have one.