French Speaker Required!

garycox

As some of you know, my Simca has been sitting engineless since early last year, when something failed resulting in a damaged crank and other bits. Here's a recent picture of it looking sad:

3F1DEC62-F1C7-4382-9731-887024188890-214

I've been searching for a replacement engine for ages, and they just don't exist. I gave up hope ages ago, but today Barrett alerted me to this:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/670877628.htm?ca=12_s

Somebody in France is selling 3 Simca 1300s, which share the same engine as far as I know. There's a good one for €1200, an OK one for €500 and a rubbish one for €150.

I'm interested in the rubbish one. According to Google Translate, the advert says:

In addition: A wreck on wheel Simca 1300 with 4 good doors, the engine of the same type as the previous two, transmission, dashboard etc. ...

Price € 150 for the wreck

* In addition: lot of mechanical parts: 1 bridge; 1 gearbox; 1 engine disassembled; etc ...

And body parts ...: front and back covers; doors; front left and right wings; bumper; calenders; etc ...

More ... technical review of the model.

What I need is somebody to ask:

• Does the engine in the rubbish car run, or at least turn over?

• Does he have any pictures of it he can send?

• How much does he want for the dismantled engine?

If the engine sounds repairable, I'd go and get it, use the engine and back doors (mine are rusty), keep or sell all other useful bits and weigh in the shell. If the dimantled engine is very cheap I might have that as well.

If anyone is willing to communicate with the seller on my behalf I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Sounds very French that does. 'We've got a perfectly good engine here that someone else has designed. Lets change all the nuts and bolts in it".

It probably made sense, as no doubt did Rover's changing of the spark plug threads on the V8. Easy to forget not every country's mechanics have an old set of imperial tools under the bench.

That Vedette V-8 is an odd engine, thanks to the punitive French taxation system it was quite small, I think two-and-a-quarter litre. So an interesting motor. I am unsure of the advantages of a V-8 of such small capacity over a 4 or 6 of the same size, but it would be nice to know that whatever the hell it was like, you still had a V-8 under the bonnet.

There's a Simca car nut who works at my local garage gc, I know he's got a 1500 and a 1300 LHD sitting in the garage (plus a 1000 and various others), but I think the 1300 is going to get restored.  Can have a word if you like see if he can offer any suggestions?

There's a Simca car nut who works at my local garage gc, I know he's got a 1500 and a 1300 LHD sitting in the garage (plus a 1000 and various others), but I think the 1300 is going to get restored.  Can have a word if you like see if he can offer any suggestions?

Could be the guy in Budshead Road - there are several Simcas sat on the drive and a couple of ropey old Citroens too.

This is the hole:

F5B837AB-6349-41AE-AF69-E32F72526C7B-872

I want to keep that gearbox ideally as it'd be major hassle to rig up something else to the column shift and I don't want to lose that.

I have no idea about these things but it has been suggested that a TU engine might go on it, I don't particularly want to spend money on something that doesn't fit though.

Judging by the unmistakeable thrashy tappet noise they both make, the 1301 engine is related to the Horizon engine.

No idea if they are similar in a useful "will fit" sort of way.

Just a thought.....

• 6 months later...

Hope you get it back on the road soon. Like these frenchies.

When I were a nipper in the mid/late 70's, these Simca's were everywhere - literally there were one or two in every street where I lived. A friends dad had a 1100 hatch that was a great car, he loved it and he owned a Range Rover too!

For some reason I recall them always being either dark green or dark blue, don't know why.

The one I really like is the van version, again, they seemed (though weren't) nearly a numerous as the standard-fare Mk2 Ez vans, haven't seen one in forever.