Shite in miniature

MrRegieRitmo

Isn't 1/43 about the same as the model railway 0 gauge (7mm to the foot), in which case the 'building materials' should be easily available from model railway shops and suppliers. Similarly 00 gauge is 1/76 (near enough 1/72) and there is narrow gauge scale 16mm to the foot, again not too far off 1/18, so there should be some stuff available for other scales.

Isn't 1/43 about the same as the model railway 0 gauge (7mm to the foot), in which case the 'building materials' should be easily available from model railway shops and suppliers. Similarly 00 gauge is 1/76 (near enough 1/72) and there is narrow gauge scale 16mm to the foot, again not too far off 1/18, so there should be some stuff available for other scales.

As VWP says, UK 'O' gauge is 1/43 but even so very little seems to be available in that scale in the way of buildings. For 1/76 scale models there are absolutely loads of buildings etc available - Hornby do a load of different buildings in the 'Skaledale' series (at least I think thats what its called) which would be of interest to shiters - car sales portacabin, workshops etc.

Trouble is I have to make everything, and anything I cant get in kit form I have to scratchbuild so its taking ages. :roll:

It took me a long time to understand the concept of scratchbuilding, meaning building from scratch, not scratching something to make something :lol::oops:

But even now I can't really comprehend how you can make a model out of nothing, i.e. not based on a kit or something......I just can't get my head around it, I wouldn't know where to begin! Surely you'd need some sort of moulds or templates or something...just something to work with or from!

I use plastic card and whatever else I can lay my hands on. Various plastic bits and bobs such as angle profiles are available, but it aint cheap.

Heres a scratchbuilt box trailer before paint

Posted Image

Camper body on a Unimog

Posted Image:)

I see the results & I like them, just not sure how you got them but never mind :lol:

stylophene whatsit cardboard, like polystyrene sp?.and glue... just takes some thinking out first, i'd love to have a go but stuff liek that from my local model shop is ruddy expensive, charged me €7 for a piece of wood (a metre but 1mm thick x 10mm width) thats abit outa my league :lol:

Here's the whole fleet, not a patch on some, you may notice a slight bias in my choice of models...

Posted Image

I've got a 1/24 series 1 Range Rover police car which looks like it belongs in your collection! Made by Road Legends or something like that...

EDIT:

Now I've looked, I can't find one! Some variations on the theme though...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Range-Rover-Polic ... 58853e96db

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RANGE-ROVER-EXPER ... 35a598e4bf

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARTOYS-Italy-Die ... 1bf5817ee9

At first glance I thought the Unimog was real :shock: , wish i had the skill , Ive posted this before but just in case you havnt seen it this is the nearest i ever got to something decent

Posted Image

Nothing wrong with that at all, looks good to me.

I spent most of last night looking at that French forum with the garage dioramas some of them had made, wish I could do anything to that standard, if I had the time I'd like to have a go but I suspect I wouldn't be able to manage the same standard.

Posted Image

Next, a lovely blue Minichamps Ford RS 200 caught my eye. These seemed to vary in price according to stall and colour. The blues varied from £15 - 50. One seller had all three colours and was asking for £80 for a white 1:43! Madness. My blue 'un was £15.

£80 for the white one doesn't sound too bad, seen them up for a lot more than that, one time even £150! I've got it in red, black...and also the blue....I think. The black one is RHD. Missed out on the white though & not going to pay over the odds to own one, even though having it in other colours seems somehow...wrong :?

Was looking at the Hornby APTs as well. I have one of these, it tilts and everything. Didn't realise they were worth that much.......

Do tell! I've got one too & was wondering how much it was worth if I decided to cash in? ....desperate times call for desperate measures! :shock:

I've just been having a look through the garage dioramas on that French forum. I really will have to have a go at one again. I built one years ago when I'd just started collecting properly but was never really 100% happy with it. Then I drew out some plans for an elaborate Art Deco showroom on three floors loosely based on the Hoover Building canteen and made a start but decided I'd bitten off more than I could chew! Still have the plans and artwork I drew dated 1993 :shock:

You can get all sorts of stuff with a bit of searching. Just found these in 1/43 scale:

Posted Image

Mind you I think I'd like to do a 60s filling station and a 70s dealership of some kind, maybe from photos of local dealers.

That Range Rover is lovely :)

Have a look at www.kitformservices.com and have a scroll through the gallery. Its 1/24 trucks, but there are classic older ones as well. Theres all sorts from the mildly detailed through to highly detailed scratchbuilds right up to fully developed multimedia kits comprising of resin and white metal parts, photo etch and decals. KFS also stock a good range of materials for the scratchbuilder. Their 1/24 scale interior detail parts are excellent, with cassette tapes etc....the ratchet straps are pretty good as well. and the service and delivery time are second to none.

Was looking at the Hornby APTs as well. I have one of these, it tilts and everything. Didn't realise they were worth that much.......

Do tell! I've got one too & was wondering how much it was worth if I decided to cash in? ....desperate times call for desperate measures! :shock:
Unboxed, they're between £80-100, boxed, you're looking at £150-200 depending on the nose design apparently.You don't have a spare motor bogey for the APT driving car do you? Mine hasn't fared well in storage.

You can get all sorts of stuff with a bit of searching. Just found these in 1/43 scale:

Posted Image

*Ahem* :wink:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/LobsterDi ... ec0Q2em322

We have them in stock in 1/18 and 1/43 scale and they are pretty damn good! That set is #2, the first set was axle stands, trolley jack, toolbox, vacuum etc but is sadly NLA. There was also a 1/43 scale two post lift which is nice too. Sadly NLA. For 1/18 stuff GMP do some really nice workshop kit - try ebay.fr as its fairly rare over here. The do a good 4 post lift which is good but a bit pricey.

Unboxed, they're between £80-100, boxed, you're looking at £150-200 depending on the nose design apparently.You don't have a spare motor bogey for the APT driving car do you? Mine hasn't fared well in storage.
No spares unfortunately. I bought mine from my local model shop a few years ago £75 boxed! I miss that place, always had the potential to throw up a real bargain, not been the same since it was bought out by somebody else :roll: