Shite Postcards

pompei

There are some rarities in the top card - what looks to be a RHD '46 Buick, A40 Somerset drophead (never a common sight on British roads) and the Phase 1 Vanguard behind the LD van appears, on closer inspection, to be a van converted with side windows rather than the factory station wagon.   I spy a Cowley too, behind the A40 Devon bottom right foreground.  Which means I need to find this postcard for my collection.....

So they hated the English's guts, but loved their chod?

Down there in the happier south-east, there wasn't anything like the level of gut-hating you'd find up on the northern border

From nearby Rosslare you could pop your Heinkel on the daily Sealink ferry to Fishguard or Pembrooke without fear.  

Mind you it would be a bit of a trip to get from Welsh to English soil in that screaming Heinkel

I think I've shown you this one before.

Reit im Winkl, Germany

ReitImWinklR16.jpg

Junkpapa's R16 TX (sans rear spoiler, because TÃœV) is on it, which is quite an amazing coincidence,

since we hardly ever went to this tourist trap. In a further coincidence, I discoverd the card decades

later while being in the area on an assignment in a nearby cement factory.

Yeah, but weren't they aware of the fact that countries other than the UK also made cars?

I have collected mid-century car photos for years and always been amazed at the amount of European shite that puttered around the Emerald Isle whilst us Brits fought shy of mis-pronouncing anything with rubber mats, FWD, rear engines or Michelin tyres....