Shite Postcards

pompei

Trust that British Rail logo is still adorning Hull Station. I have frequently complained to railway officials that this company ceased to exist in 1993, but its depressing '70s badge persists, decades later, the length & breadth of the British Isles. Best excuse I ever got in reply was at Paddington (where it now means 'Overground Trains, upstairs you dimwits'): 'They couldn't think of anything to replace it.' Ah, the power of symbols upon the simple-minded, that's semiotics for you.

Here are a few from Tom Phillips' marvellous Postcard Century. Sadly he doesn't share our love of the historic marketplace full of tat, though, as you'll see, he's strong on promotional cards sent out by car manufacturers since the Year Dot:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A few random shots from the Mash archive now of holiday snaps in the mid-80s. Quite why it was thought necessary to photograph these first two random car park views, I'll never know but it does provide us with some good shite now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Would have been better if my parents had a better camera back then of course!

Two Fiesta related ones for Mk2 Craig now. The red Mk2 was a hire car on it's first time out - a weedy 950 Popular being the cheapest car my dad could find to hire for the week!

And who's that handsome young fellow with the dog?????

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stop me if I'm boring you, I've got loads of crap like this!! :lol::lol:

Blue one is a Hillman Hunter, silver is a Mk2 Cortina. Easy mistake to make since they are very similar in appearance in estate form. Both introduced late 1966/early 1967.

See these days if a company had the intent of churning out a vehicle that visually similar to another company's, they would just do a deal to share bodies, a lá Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra! :roll:

Difficult to tell from the photo but could be a Volvo 300-series Regie.Thanks for thinking of me Mash but I gotta admit that first photo in particular is ticking my fancy (never much been a fan of boggo standard B reg Fezzer hire cars since one of them rear-ended the family Prairie 1.5SGL on hol in SW England summer '86.)

Keep yer eyes peeled for postcard-style shite pictures in those freebie calendars that seem to turn up at this time of year...

We were just given one with this, from our optician here, but it's certainly not Chiang Mai or anywhere else in the Land of Smiles:

Posted Image

...looks like somewhere in the Med to me.

Think I've some more old calendars stashed away...

Keep yer eyes peeled for postcard-style shite pictures in those freebie calendars that seem to turn up at this time of year...

We were just given one with this, from our optician here, but it's certainly not Chiang Mai or anywhere else in the Land of Smiles:

Posted Image

...looks like somewhere in the Med to me.

Think I've some more old calendars stashed away...

I'm going for Malta, KJ. It's obviously a Catholic country from the church, but with strong British influence from the shite. My only free calendar so far is from Classic & Sports Car - plenty of autos, but no shite there, only Jags, Mercs, Astons, Bugattis, etc.

• 9 years later...

Wowzers, a thread from my very earliest days here. This revival has given me a chance to update the link to the Sudbury card in my post on the first page.

I’ve got a pile of postcards beside the PC at home that I’m still scanning in as and when. Here are some good ones I recently found:

31845331415_e04d6fc8a1_c.jpg

The Car Park, Lower Ski Slopes, Perthshire old postcard 1960s by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

31858155176_b893e1d2c3_c.jpg

The Beach, Athens old postcard 1960s? by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

31000011434_5afb87339e_c.jpg

Chalons-sur-Marne, France old postcard 1970s by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Wowzers, a thread from my very earliest days here. This revival has given me a chance to update the link to the Sudbury card in my post on the first page.

I’ve got a pile of postcards beside the PC at home that I’m still scanning in as and when. Here are some good ones I recently found:

31845331415_e04d6fc8a1_c.jpg

The Car Park, Lower Ski Slopes, Perthshire old postcard 1960s by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Hi SL, do you mind if I share this link to the Glenshee Facebook group?