Shite Postcards

pompei

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas/New Year holiday scanning, starting with Scotland through three decades:

27606950369_dc02dc958d_o.jpg

Atholl Road, Pitlochry old postcard late 1960s by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

27606957999_b49bda3e94_o.jpg

Burns Statue Square, Ayr old postcard early 1970s by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

A short but informative message on this one /\, sent to BBC Radio Aberdeen in 1982: "Today's singer - Isla St Clair".

24518579557_e93e70f011_o.jpg

Wellmeadow, Blairgowrie old postcard mid 1980s by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

39383969941_4dbf35372f_o.jpg

The Malton Museum, Market Place, Malton old postcard mid 1970s by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Heading south. Fiat not Lada?

39353917952_fda08622e9_o.jpg

Angel Hill, Bury ST Edmunds, Suffolk old postcard mid 1970s by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

One of my favourites. Several Japanese rarities here.

Has it been colourised, or does the white Allegro in that Angel Hill pic really have a red vinyl roof?

I think the dread hand of the colouriser has been at work. Don't know why, there are plenty of great '70s colours to be seen (I'm pretty sure the Datsun 140J is correct in that orange, for example). I think they may also have had a go at a red Maxi near the signpost/light thing (a.k.a. "Pillar of Salt").

The latter is worthy of mention. Wikipedia says: Pillar of Salt is the name of a Grade II listed road sign on Angel Hill Bury St Edmunds in the United Kingdom. Listed in 1998, it is described in its listing as being "individual and probably unique".[1] According to the plaque set at the foot of the sign, it is thought to be the first internally illuminated road sign in the country.[2] Designed by Basil Oliver, architect to Bury St. Edmunds Town Council in 1935, it had to be granted special permission because the height of the letters and numbers did not conform to regulations.

What is the white car parked behind the VW camper in the angel hill pic? Is it one of those fugly Glas 2-dr push-me-pull-you efforts?

I agree with Jon's suggestion. Apparently an E10-series model, I think sold in the UK only as a 2dr saloon with 1100 engine. I can't recall seeing one in the metal, even at shows, but if you think back to RR of 10+ years ago then Michiel had a red coupe version.

I love the mix of stuff in that card, it summarises the variety of cars on the road in the '70s so well.