Edd's Talbot Samba Thread

SambaS

Was quoted £58 to have it resurfaced, if I don't do it it will eat the clutch plate... I walked away at £58 and have since found a mate who is in the trade to do it for a much happier £30

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate... do I know you through SCUK? Add some pics of your Sambas and welcome to AS!

My Cabriolet is in bits in the garage. I have actually fitted the clutch and housing and it should all be back together soon, I'm getting tired of seeing it in pieces!

My Samba Style I am using daily at the moment. Need to find a back bumper for it, and I'm looking at a set of Sport/ Cabriolet alloys.

The other week I was trying to get it into reverse and something snapped and the stick went all loose.

This was the offending piece of metal that broke off:

250147_10151079138717992_1607734171_n.jpg

A better look at the one on the Cabriolet, it was the inch long piece to the left:

74882_10151079154057992_1429298956_n.jpg

I decided I wasn't going to even bother attempting to replace the link myself.. I managed to get the part that week from Germany and after a week of trying to find the keys for the car took it to my local who had to drill the back of the socket and tap out the remaining bit of ball that was left in it, and then refit the new part. £20 well spent as I would have only shouted and screamed and cried and still failed to mend it.

556275_10151100159442992_1780074643_n.jpg

Hi mate... do I know you through SCUK? Add some pics of your Sambas and welcome to AS!

I don't think we have met but its quite a small world with regards to samba's. this is the link to my photobucket thing - http://community.webshots.com/user/WRQUATTRO

Samba on rolling road is the sprint car, the one on the trailer is the ex ernie Larton French import.

My Samba Style I am using daily at the moment. Need to find a back bumper for it, and I'm looking at a set of Sport/ S alloys

eBay auction no. 290782853309, I'm sure they are not a million miles away from you either.

06102012539.jpg

06102012541.jpg

06102012543.jpg

07102012546.jpg

07102012547.jpg

07102012548.jpg

She's 90% complete, a bit on an evening this week should see it running. Last night I realised there's a bit missing between the exhaust manifold and down pipe so the part I hate THE MOST is going to have to come off AGAIN, but other than that I am happy!

Just the radio... got rid of the silver CD player for an old Sony tape player which I reckon looks much more at home. Also I have a tape adapter that slots in so I can plug an iPod or my phone in.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post 10 days ago I have been struggling to get the Cabriolet to start. I couldn't get a spark anywhere. I suspected the coil, but that was fairly new. After some tests with the Fluke meter I decided to swap out the coil. Still no joy. Today I went to the garage intent on removing the ignition module and inspecting its wiring. I took the connectors off and gave everything a good waggle (as Cyanide Steve said) et voila a spark! So I took each plug out in turn and turned the engine over to drive out all the water. Refitted and it was popping and banging on 2 cylinders - a quick tweak of the dizzy and she was away!

Just done a deal on this, she's a 1984 Talbot Samba Roller, a special edition with yellow wheels, a unique interior and some other stuff. She's a sorry state and been off the road since '94.

• 1 month later...

Opened up my time capsule today:

483450_10151184230762992_2041912855_n.jp

Free pizza anyone? Valid until 15th December..

Lucozade in a glass bottle? 40p

21789_10151184257287992_1407933374_n.jpg

This tape is awesome, clearly they had taste buying a Samba in the first place but... Roy Orbison - Drove All night, Erasure - Sometimes, Waterboys - Whole of The Moon

Found some salad cream that is older than some of my friends :o

£71.50 for 6 months in May 1994... it's not much more than that now

23942_10151184284652992_793919050_n.jpg?

Door card off to access door handle nuts. Going to do something with that bit of rust, drop in the ocean but may as well while the card is off. And in my flat for to be cleaned.

703507_10151192218667992_931924064_o.jpg

Took this off and went mad with the Double TT spray, took it indoors and used it like a stress ball for 10 minutes. Works perfect now :D

252248_10151184308022992_1456976392_n.jp

Car parts in the spare room and car parts in the kitchen... I think the Roller's interior should clean up quite nice the car hasn't done all that many miles.

1366_10151184369012992_1679029089_n.jpg?

So that's one job completed, the drivers door actually works now. Passenger side tomorrow. Have ordered a water pump for it as the one on the car is seized. Once fitted I think I'll have to see what's coming out of the petrol tank. This car has been off the road since 1994. I may have to remove and clean the tank, then check the petrol pump works and if it does the car should fire up. The previous owner had it going with petrol straight into the carb. but turned it off when the water pump area started to smoke!

The brakes work, the hand brake works too so that's a bonus. Once it starts and stops I'll be sticking it in for MOT as it is.

Well that's the Roller washed and hoovered, the door handles and locks fixed so I can now get in the car and secure it. Found a horrible mess inside the petrol tank so that will have to come off and we'll see what can be done with it. Other jobs to do are to unseize the clutch, I'm praying the engine won't have to come out but something tells me it will. The petrol lines will have to be checked, as will the petrol pump, maybe all replaced. The carb. will have to come off and be rebuilt and unseized, maybe with a new accelerator and choke cable. The water pump should be in the post box at work by now, after fitting that the cooling system will need flushing checking and refilling, and the engine oil will need the same. Then it should start, drive and stop. And then I can MOT it, and the REAL work can begin :)

Phots here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151191856782992.448680.671392991&type=1

Jobs completed this week: remove petrol tank, empty half a tank of brown goo, sludge and crispy petrol. Purge tank, clean tank, break tank. Remove and rebuild carburettor, unblock accelerator jet and refit. Remove alternator belt check engine is free - yep, water pump - yep, alternator - no, unseize alternator, refit belt. Remove petrol line from under car, place in petrol can on roof, test petrol pump - working - petrol pissing everywhere form pourous pump to carburettor pipe, buy new pipe, replace. Fit good battery, check oil, check coolant - start car - success!

After taking advice from Cyanide Steve on the seized clutch I let the car warm up, then turned it off, put into gear then went to start it, I rocked the car backards and forwards like this with the clutch pedal pressed about ten times until one time when it just stayed still: et voila! A working clutch! So I went for a celebratory drive round the carpark with can still on roof. The next job to do was to remove the shank of a bolt I broke from a captive nut on the petrol tank bracket. I tried Snap On mole grips and penetrating spray - no luck, so brought out the gas bottle and welder and after a bit of a fire had a nut welded on and the snapped bolt out.