tracking down a long lost car...

joethornton1986

quick question guys, if a DVLA online vehicle enquiry shows date of liability as 01/09/1983 should i assume the car was scrapped in that year or could it just have been taken off the road that year or earlier and not be on the DVLA computer? ...

its a long story but im looking to see if there is any hope that my grandads car is still in existance and if it is and i could find it i would love to buy it back for my mum. all suggestions apreceiated, Joe :)

quick question guys, if a DVLA online vehicle enquiry shows date of liability as 01/09/1983 should i assume the car was scrapped in that year or could it just have been taken off the road that year or earlier and not be on the DVLA computer? ...

its a long story but im looking to see if there is any hope that my grandads car is still in existance and if it is and i could find it i would love to buy it back for my mum. all suggestions apreceiated, Joe :)

What car is it?

These sites maybe worth a try:

http://www.wheresmycar.co.uk/

http://www.drivearchive.co.uk/home.asp

Plenty of cars appear for sale which show as unlicenced on the DVLA, indeed my Maxi is one of them, so it is not impossible, although I suspect it is unlikely. You never know though, it may be sitting in someones garage or barn somewhere!!

I'm trying to find a Rolls Royce my dad owned in the early '70s. The reg then was LBL 60E. I can't find any trace of it, so it's either well gone, had a plate swap, been exported or I don't know what.

Suppose I should contact the Enthusiasts Club, but that's not much fun.

i know it doesnt look good but my Wolseley was off the road since 1963 in various garages and unknown to the dvlc till this year so im trying to stay optemistic!

its a 1973 Vauxhall Viva - PHF 12M - was given to my uncle when my grandad died around 1981 but mum thinks he only had it a short time and it disappered (could even of been scrapped then!). i just thought i would try as it would mean a lot to my mum, its the car her dad taught her to drive in and promised would be hers one day (he died suddenly and in the confusion my nan gave the car to my uncle because he was the only one with a full licence), earlier this year my nan died also and i wanted to try and do this for mum

I'm trying to find a Rolls Royce my dad owned in the early '70s. The reg then was LBL 60E. I can't find any trace of it, so it's either well gone, had a plate swap, been exported or I don't know what.

Bloody hell man... my Sceptre was LBL 179E......!!!

Last road tax expired august 1983 and may have been scrapped as scrapyards did not bother informing the dvlc in those days. It may be in a lock up or long term storeage but at that length of time its not looking good :cry:

I agree it's not looking good; even if it is stored somewhere it will be very difficult to find. Good luck though. If you post a picture of it someone on here might even recognise it if it is around somewhere - they see lots of cars.

The enthusiast's club might be an ordeal but I think it is your only chance of finding it, particularly if they can get you the VIN number. I reckon you stand a better chance of finding a Rolls than almost anything else because they have survived in greater numbers than most cars, but the chance of it wearing the same number plate now is remote. The Shad hardly depreciated at all in those days so even at five years old it was the price of a respectable house and it would still have been 'exec' car money even by 1980. At ten years old the owner could well have wanted to disguise the age of the car so several changes of 'plate wouldn't surprise me. With the VIN, you also have a chance of discovering if the car was exported to the USA. It wasn't uncommon and the RREC may well be able to their US equivalent who may know of the car or where to find it if it went there.

I don't know what the club are like but I would think that reuniting the son of the owner of a Rolls-Royce who owed the car so long ago and when it was almost new would could be the sort of challenge they might like - a reassuring affirmation of the old order, if you like... :wink: