Tractorshite

STUNO

BMC minis are ace. I had the later Leyland badged version - the 154 - reg no FUD 84K. It was in lovely nick and I should have kept it but swapped it for a rare Land Rover (which I also shouldn't have sold). When I passed my tractor driving test at 16 I used it to go to college a couple of times which was nice in summer.

post-3736-0-45362100-1424378495_thumb.jpg

The engines are interesting, a CAV pump sprouts out of where the dizzy would be on an A series, it looks just the same apart from the fuel system. When I started work the dairy I milked at had a couple and, like mine, they were shit starters from cold and very smoky. I have heard these small BMC diesels were always bad for it. 

The engines are interesting, a CAV pump sprouts out of where the dizzy would be on an A series, it looks just the same apart from the fuel system. When I started work the dairy I milked at had a couple and, like mine, they were shit starters from cold and very smoky. I have heard these small BMC diesels were always bad for it. 

So are they basically an A Series engine converted to run on diesel?

I'm pretty sure mine was the later version with a 1500cc. Only 28bhp though. I did hear of a crazy Dutch (?) man who had made a hybrid engine with a petrol mini crank and put in in his Mini pickup. I assume it was awful!!! 

Or a Field Marshall - very similar (was one the other made under licence?).

Me Lanz, I.

KLTowingFieldMarshall.jpg

The Bulldog was once Germany's most popular tractor with over 220,000 of them produced. In fact, in many rural regions, Bulldog became the generic term for any tractor, to this day.

It was never licensed, but often copied, for example by Le Percheron in France, Kelly & Lewis in Australia, Ursus in Poland, IAME and DINFIA in Argentina.

When the Field Marshall was introduced, the Lanz was already a decade old. Also, the FM has a diesel two stroke, the Lanz doesn't. The Lanz has a low compression 'hot bulb' engine,

with mixture building in the crankcase, so it can run on anything, from petrol to raw or even castor oil and brown coal tar.

My mate bought a Fergie 'Golden Grey' as a restoration project a few years ago. He was dead enthusiastic about it but it just sat in his workshop for 12 months and then he sold it as he realised he would never do anything with it...

A friend of the family has a large collection of tractors. Mainly all pre-sixties. He has a few traction engines and a matched pair of ploughing engines also...A Lanz combine I think too...All bought when they were scrap value...

When I worked in Redcar a few years ago I took a few pictures of the tractorshite that sits around the seafront...

HPIM0072.jpg

HPIM0071.jpg

HPIM0070.jpg

HPIM0069.jpg

HPIM0068.jpg

HPIM0067.jpg

HPIM0066.jpg

HPIM0063.jpg

Small world Vin, I live about 1/2 a mile from Fishermans square in Redcar where most of your pics were taken and know some of the fishermen. The Fordson I went to collect and posted the pic of earlier in the thread is just poking its wheel into shot on your 3rd from last pic. The Fordson is now a Skinningrove resident last I heard of it, about 10 miles down the coast.

The friend  I collected the Fordson with is a tractor perv, he has a 70's John Deere (3310?) 6 cyl even though he has no use for it, it's a garage queen.

I also went with tractor perv friend to see this 1976 Leyland 285(?) 6 cyl for sale at Christmas time, it wasn't to be though as the bottom of the bell housing had a piece missing leaving unsuitable as it was to used for launching boats on the beach. Salt water, starter motors and clutches a poor mix.

post-17633-0-33070900-1424452739_thumb.jpg

A friend of the family has a large collection of tractors. Mainly all pre-sixties. He has a few traction engines and a matched pair of ploughing engines also...A Lanz combine I think too...All bought when they were scrap value...

We may know each other or at least have mutual friends... 

This thing was my grandmother's cousin's only means of transport between 1959 when he bought it new and his death in 2013! Despite appearances it was taxed and he used to trundle into town on it to do his shopping.

14758631220_79088c2e1f_c.jpg1959 Fordson tractor by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

And here's a barn find. Couldn't see much of it but it's an International that hasn't seen the road since 1986 and has probably been here all that time.

14944738112_2aa3f22c51_c.jpg1967 International tractor by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

What's on the other end of the rams on that Fordson, something for dealing with BMW/Aldi drivers?

There are still lots like that here, elderly couple with their only means of transport an equally elderly Zetor or Ursus. Most people around here have a small patch of land they've inherited a few miles from home so spring here means dozens of old tractors with ploughing attachments chugging up to their bit of land, or chugging back again spreading said land on the roads. Zetors, Ursi, John Deeres, Massive Furgesons, Steyrs, Manomags, the occasional Porch, Fendts, loads of the buggers,

Hey, I have a mate here with a MF combine from the 50's (I think he said), he keeps asking me if anyone in England would like to buy it and if it's worth any money, so I tell him of course, all he needs to do is drive it there and...

I don't actually want a tractor. Well, I do, but I'd need a license for a smallholding so I qualify for cheap fuel and then I can chug about all day at 18kmh spreading mud everywhere, hold up traffic belching smoke and indicating so no bugger will overtake me. Sadly they now force tractors through some sort of MOT so I wouldn't be able to drive about with no tail lights like several people I know have crashed into.

post-17914-0-47939400-1424630081_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know what these are??

The picture is from the NRM collection and is captioned;

"...Excavators on railway wagons hauled by a diesel locomotive at Harwich, 1 November 1966. These vehicles are about to be loaded onto the Cambridge Ferry and shipped abroad..."

It's a shame there are no identifying markings. I'm no expert in these things but they don't look 'home grown' to me, mainly because of that distinctive glass cab. I think it's more likely they are being unloaded from the ferry...

I could be completely wrong though...

1995-7233_LIVST_MF_278.jpg

Here are a couple of my old tractors from back when I had enough land to need a tractor. International B275. Ford Q cab that I drove home 25 miles from auction. The grey fergie was my dad's and I also had a Belarus 4x4 but can't find a picture of that. Although it just creeps into shot in the second shot. My last one was the International sneaking into shot with the Ford.

post-5515-0-74177300-1428862506_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-94254400-1428862588_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-99428000-1428863020_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-45927800-1428863094_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-89730200-1428863199_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-48538400-1428863305_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently started thinking that buying an old tractor is a good idea to buy an old tractor. I have no need for a Tractor but why should I let that stop me? The only experience I have of Tractors is using the old Massey 165 at the sawmill that I work at. Being a BL pervert I am drawn to Leyland's and Marshalls,  but I wouldn't turn my nose up at an International, David Brown or a Fordie.

Across the field from the sawmill is a "machinery dealer" that has two fields full of old Tractors, machinery and cars and amongst the haven of shite is various Leyland's that have caught my eye.

Here are a couple that have caught my eye on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leyland-384-tractor-rare-/371308250061?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5673b243cd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/David-Brown-995-commercial-tractor-trip-loader-rear-wheel-counterweights-/161689751884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a575d14c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/David-Brown-1210-loader-/261868524081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf8949231

Has anyone got any tips for getting into Tractors?