When Parked. In gear or not?

Timewaster

Always in first or (reverse if on a hill) with the hand brake if not on my drive. Both the wife and me probably without thinking always check if its in gear before starting up, its the whole mirrors, seat, gear, seatbelt thing that wad drummed into us in the 80's.Does anyone else check tyre pressures weekly too, or am I being anal?

I always park in neutral with the handbrake on unless the car is on a slope, then I leave it in gear too.If the car is laid up for a while I leave the handbrake off and stick a brick behind the wheel!I always check to see if a car is in neutral before starting it and always depress the clutch too.

I always park in neutral with the handbrake on unless the car is on a slope, then I leave it in gear too.If the car is laid up for a while I leave the handbrake off and stick a brick behind the wheel!I always check to see if a car is in neutral before starting it and always depress the clutch too.

exactly the same here,always have,always will!!!i have to drive the customers cars at work,and find the vast majority of customers leave them in gear,so my 21 year habit it MUCH cheaper!!!!also drove articts across europe,turkey,scandinavia,etc for 12 or so years.starting 500bhp diesels in gear is NOT a good scheme........they will start and go regardless of being empty,or loaded!!!!if the handbrake is good,they will also smash the transmission,prop,diff,etc to shitrags.mmmm,expensive......

I've got a couple of those Autolok things that fit twixt gearlever and handbrake, so the cars are always locked in gear with the handbrake on.Makes it pretty obvious that the car is still in gear when you take the thing off, anyway.And yes, having nearly written off one of the 405s (and the brick wall still hasn't been fixed by the insurance co, despite 'settling' the claim several months ago), I'll continue to leave 'em in gear even though both now have spot-on handbrakes. As I'm the only one driving 'em it makes no odds, I'm conditioned now.

I get in trouble at work if I DON'T leave the vans in gear.I always do with owning 4 shite vehicles, though I must admit the 2 working ones have excellant hand brakes.That is until I top the gearbox oil up and the oil leaks out onto the transmission brakes.They don't teach people any more to check if the car is in gear. Or even to press in the clutch to start the car.I always press the clutch in. No point trying to turn over a gearbox with the engine.