Jump to content

Jaguar X-Type


Recommended Posts

Posted

I bought this X-Type earlier in the year with 11 months MOT.  I've always liked them especially in old man giffer spec white interior. I wanted a 3.0 sovereign, which do command a slight premium over the many diesels and 2.1 v6 models, but they are still cheap enough to buy

20260327_130632.jpg

Posted

I knew when I bought it needed new rear discs and pads. No big deal I thought, got some ordered off Autodoc. Went to fit them and discovered one of the caliper carrier bolts was rounded 😬 The fun begins

Also discovered n/s sill was rusty as were the lower rear suspension arms. Oh what fun!

I also discovered why the seller got rid. The gearbox was making an awful noise when cold. When I inspected the car the engine was warm. Now I know why!

However, that turned out to be a simple fix. It just needed the fluid topping up, lol

Posted

There is a Jag specialist not too far away from me in Leighton Buzzard, so I took the car there to fix the many faults

First they replaced the rear discs and pads by drilling out the caliper carrier bolt. Its not a job I could do, access to the bolt is poor with the car just jacked up on my driveway. Then they  replaced the rear arms plus they also discovered the bolt holding the ABS sensor in was rounded. No idea why as the ABS light is working and no faults reported but they drilled that out and replaced it too whilst they were there! They also replaced the front track rods as they said they were f*d! Another advisory from the recent MOT checked off the list

Posted

Most recently I asked them to tackle the rust in the n/s sill. This is what they found

IMG-20260813-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20260813-WA0002.jpg

Posted

That brings us up to date. The A/C doesn't work though, so doubt I'll be driving it today lol

I have investigated the issue with the A/C. There is no gas in the system. I tried adding some gas. The compressor kicked in as the pressure went up but after 20 seconds the pressure started going down again. So clearly there is a massive hole in the system allowing the gas to escape. I think I'll leave that problem until next year as the rust repairs cost me a fortune 😬

Posted

I keep thinking I'm going to buy one of these one day as they're so cheap, but like anything modernish the potential repair bills scare me.

I'm most intrigued by comfort and their ride quality, how are you finding it?  Probably depends how highly you value suspension comfort and what you've come from, but having driven Peugeot 405s for twenty years most contemporary cars come as an unpleasant shock to me. 

  • Like 2
Posted

The suspension is soft and being a relatively narrow car as well makes it good on the country roads near where I live. But unlike other jags it handles well. Its a well balanced setup

Posted

I do like these. Always wanted a Sport Premium 3.0 manual but they’re hens teeth sadly.

At least now you’ve done the sills, the main issues with the car are resolved at least!

Posted
52 minutes ago, Imhotep said:

I do like these. Always wanted a Sport Premium 3.0 manual but they’re hens teeth sadly.

At least now you’ve done the sills, the main issues with the car are resolved at least!

They do pop up for sale, you'll need to be prepared to travel though. I previously owned (well my wife did) a ZS 180 and the X-Type v6 has more grunt for sure

Posted

That looks like a nice job on the sills though! 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Posted

IMG_20191215_152445.jpg.976096dff8971b5ce15f9d2ea77fd23f.jpgIf anyone wants a 3.0 X Type mine is still for sale. It needs sills and emissions. Make me an offer over scrap price and you can have it. 3.0 auto. Tis quick!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...