Jump to content

The worst collection thread ever….and other musings


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ready for the off in the early hours.  Gone with the wifes Mazda, much comfier than my van and has cruise so my right leg can have a rest now and then.  Got loads of straps, cable and lock, tray of assorted tools, the trailers locked to the towbar, borrowed a wheelclamp off the moho for if I need to find a loo.  If I can get to sleep now I’m aiming on being up at 4 ish and away by 5.  
Just noticed it’s a year tomorrow that I started this thread, the day I collected the Bandit.  So a second collection exactly a year apart…

IMG_5235.jpeg

Posted
1 minute ago, motorpunk said:

That’s early. What snacks?

Too early for considering snacks - still in caffeine country, shirley?

Posted

Two coffee pots pre made, full nosh bag too.  First stop, Leeming Bar.  Breaky bap and two more coffees.  
PC still 0 for those that have to know 🤪

IMG_5237.jpeg

  • Like 2
Posted

Oo ash wife Mazdar. 
Here’s ours, 

uuid00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000002AFcode001library1type1mode1loctruecaptrue.jpeg.47f5c354e0714dafb41f7f520ddb4238.jpeg

I like owning and driving it, it’s a fine car and economical for a 2litre petrol but I don’t think I’m in love with it. 

GLWTC!

  • Like 1
Posted

Just home, boy am I knackered.  Update when I’m a bit more with it in the morning.  
Pic from outside the dealer about to load. 

IMG_5239.jpeg

Posted
On 11/03/2026 at 10:05, inconsistant said:

Oo ash wife Mazdar. 
Here’s ours, 

uuid00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000002AFcode001library1type1mode1loctruecaptrue.jpeg.47f5c354e0714dafb41f7f520ddb4238.jpeg

I like owning and driving it, it’s a fine car and economical for a 2litre petrol but I don’t think I’m in love with it. 

GLWTC!

Ours is the 2ltr petrol too, cracking engine. Mazda are just about the only brand that continued to develop normal size engines into more powerful and economical versions rather than go the tiny engine with big turbo that eventually gets to 150hp at 8000 rpm if yer lucky.  
The diesels on the other are known to implode at relatively low mileages and are best avoided. 
Definately the comfiest car we’ve owned, our Sharans were more practical but as we don’t have a dog or children to ferry about anymore it does most of what we need now.  
The brake wobble we’ve been getting needs sorting though as it’s getting worse. I’m actually starting to think it’s not a wobble but more a vibration. Got me wondering if the abs is causing it. We’ll get the reader on it and see if there’s a faulty sensor causing the abs to kick in.  

Posted

Morning all. 
Well what a day.  So the drive up to Dundee was generally uneventful, I got to the dealer about 1.30.  Had to wait for the salesman Stuart to finish with another customer and then we set too sorting payment etc.  Horror time, his machine wouldn’t accept my card for payment.  Called my bank and ended up with a ten minute wait time. Meanwhile he rang his head office to see if I could transfer the money, but they suggested using their card machine remotely which only went and worked, so I was free to load.  Drove away dead on 3pm.  
I’d stopped at Newcastle Tesco for  fuel on the way up hoping it would be enough to get me back to there about teatime where I could refill and use the Greggs opposite too.  I was also hoping to grab some Stottie breads as there a bit of a favorite in our house and we pop one to our neighbours who’s dad was from the area.  
Well all was ok to Edinburgh. There were a couple of sections of coned off single lane roadworks on the south bound side of the A90, the first of dozens as it would turn out.  The Edinburgh bypass was getting really busy with two big backed up sections.  Joining the A1 towards Berwick and there was a lorry off the side down the embankment, luckily for me on the other side, I was rather thankfull as most of the cars stuck behind it looked like they were in for some wait.  I found a Mackies somewhere along there for tea and a top up of my coffee pots. I also opened the trailer up to check things were ok, glad I did some of the straps had loosened a bit.  Never had that before which left me wondering if the electric suspension compresses more over time!! Need to look into that for the future.  
The weight of the trailer and headwinds coming across Edinburgh did for my consumption, it became apparent I wasn’t going to make Newcastle for the return fill.  So Alnwick was chosen instead.  Another check in the trailer and all was well this time.  Back on the A1 down through Newcastle then just below with no warning at all highways had closed it for the night. Bugger.  Started to follow the diversion which headed due west, not where I wanted to go.  After a call to with the wife she guided me back the other way into Darlington and down through North Allerton and Thirsk back onto the A1 near Weatherby.  In Thirsk I grabbed more coffees too.  
I got the wife to check and compare the A1 and M1 from below there to see what else I was in for. The M1 was closed through Sheffield so I would have to get to Doncaster and then across the M18 to pick that up. The A1 was in theory clear to near home but the A421 from Black Cat to Bedford was closed, but I can work round that knowing the area.  So I stuck to the A1, I usually do, I prefer the ease of stopping whenever you want and the ability to divert down side roads when things go astray, and as I was getting tired the need for more stops was becoming more necessary.  I stopped about three more times, mostly just for a stretch and fresh air and one more check of the trailer.   But thank you Highways, for about another dozen sets of lane closures between Yorkshire and home.  Most of which didn’t have reduced limits but I don’t feel you shouldn’t carry on a full speed through them, but it seems the lorry drivers do and nearly every set had one right tight behind me trying to push me back up from 50ish to 60.  
I finally got home about 1.30.  21 hours from getting up, 20 plus on the road.  Took a few attempts getting the trailer reversed onto my front, wasn’t too happy even then but thought I’d upset the neighbours if I kept shunting much more than I already had.  The wife had put the Fabia out which I then parked in front to trap it all in.  Still wasn’t happy with it so after half an hour I went back out and shunted the Fabia even closer to the trailer and even then I slept in the front bedroom to stay within earshot.  Really wasn’t happy leaving the bike out there overnight but I was in no fit state to unload it.  
Anyway, she’s still there this morning, I got up with the wife at 6 to get the Fabia out for her and have tried to get a few more hours kip.  Another coffee and some cereal and then I’m out to start unloading.  As for the trailer, well it was fine.  The new brake damper works as it should now. The lights were hit n miss but TADTS .  So I think we will be using it for Easter to Wales with the moho.  I need to bolt the wheel chock thingy in place rather than with a few wood screws and it I feel it could use some kind of runner for the rear wheel to sit in or between.  Some elastic nets fixed to the side panels up front for somehwere to put the screen and mirrors would be handy too.  Maybe one for the straps as well.  Something we can sort in time I guess.  
Oh and I guess I better find some cash and actually buy it!!  

Posted

Tucked up together, by the time we go away for Easter they’ll look pretty similar as I’ve ordered most of the same accessories that I’ve already got on my old one.  I then spent an hour or two adding extra lock mechanisms to the garage door and a shoot bolt bottom centre too.  Mate in mk had his bike stolen a few weeks back, the thieves cut a hole in his garage door to reach in to unlock it. The added bottom latch kit won’t stop that but the shoot bolt will slow them as it drops a good 3” into the concrete. 
I’m thinking of cutting a square of ply to surround the lock and bonding it in with CT1.  Plywood puts up a pretty good show against angle grinders blades, would certainly slow any attack down.  
 

IMG_5241.jpeg

  • Like 3
Posted

So guys, getting back to the front end wobble on our Mazda.  It’s looking like I’m going to replace both bottom arms.  So a question to our trade chaps, is there any brands to prefer or avoid.  
I’m currently looking at 3 options, Meyle, FAI and Febi Bilstien??  
My helpful Nephew has said Febi Bilstien but I’ve had Meyle and FAI before so not sure which to go for.  Any others I should consider? 
 

Edit…. Gone with a pair of FebiBilstien in the end. Arnold Clarke parts had a decent discount offer so went with them.  

Posted
Spent most of yesterday adding stuff to the new bike. Starting with an Innovv camera system, a cheap tracker unit off Amazon, and my satnav and Autocom intercom wiring. Didn’t quite get it finished, still got the final live connections to make up onto the accessory plug that Yamaha conveniently provide. I’m popping the front wheel out and taking it to my mot man this morning. Never liked the old spec Bridgestones these come with from the factory, found them very slow to get to temperature and heavy on the steering. So I picked up a bargain priced current model Bridgestone A41 the other day, never tried them but a mate I trust has run loads of them on his over the years so will give it a try this summer, but will eventually end up with Continental TrailAttack3s like my other one. Will have to have a few hours each evening as we’re away for Easter next weekend and want to take this one with us. Ideally need to get out for a spin on it beforehand too. Just in case…..
 

 

 

IMG_5254.jpeg

Posted

Well I didn’t get the new bike ready in time. Other thIngs in life meant I didn’t get any time in the garage till Friday afternoon. So I managed to get the wiring jobs finished and the back seat n rack back together. And I refitted the front wheel with the better tyre on it. The wife’s registered the tracker and we’ve paid a 6month subscription for now. And we’re now away, we’ve brought the old bike in the box trailer, we’re on the borders of Wales near Chirk until tomorrow when we head to Ffestiniog for the week.

We’ve only one visit planned, the air museum up at Caernarfon as we didn’t get there last time we were this way, other than that just a lazy week.  

IMG_5262.jpeg

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Spent last weekend riding round County Durham on the new bike with a group of guys from my local IAM club.  Decided I don’t like the OE Bridgestones, so I’ve ordered a pair of my favoured Continentals for it same as I use on my other one.  
Few weeks back I built a larder style cupboard in the corner of our kitchen. We were going to use the space for a breakfast table, but the dining table is only a few feet away through the arch into our main room.  Our tall fridge will move next to this cupboard and an extra base unit and worktop put in place of the existing fridge space.  
Today I skimmed the walls inside and out. 

IMG_5337.jpeg

IMG_5275.jpeg

IMG_5359.jpeg

Posted

*waves*

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

After having quite a chat with my letting agent, the wife n I have made the decision to sell our old house that we’ve been renting the last 18years or so. Originally we aimed to keep it till the mortgage ran out in 2033, which is roughly when we retire.  Part of my original plan was to then move back in, renovate it and live there a year or two to release all the equity as equity.   But of course successive governments have bollocked up these plans with this latest shower of shite literally giving tenants cart Blanche to feck with landlords however they choose.  Our current tenant was ok, never caused any issues, but he flat refused any rent increases which being no trouble we reluctantly accepted, better the devil you know etc.   But with all the new rules coming in this month we made the decision to get rid and gave him notice just in time to do it under the old rules.  This meant he moved out Sunday just gone.  In reality he’s done so pretty straight up, with so far no surprises.  There is a bit of stuff left behind, but so far it’s all gone in my wheelie bin so no real complaints.  There is a bit more to clear in the garage and gardens but nothing another weeks bins there and here  can’t handle. 
After 18 years the house is looking a bit worn, but the plan is just sell as is, with just a bit of work to improve curb appeal. The block paved driveway needs a good de-weed and possibly a pressure wash.  The old aluminium in hardwood frame windows are getting a fresh coat of wood stain to smarten them up and I’m about to cover the fascia and fit new gutter across the front.  
My sister came and helped me clean and tidy indoors Tuesday , including giving the main lounge carpet a good clean.  I doubt any of it will remain long with a new owner but it’s all habitable as is.  
Bottom line is if we don’t find a decent buyer within about 3 months we’ll re-let it which at the current rates would return a decent profit over the mortgage compared to the fella that’s just gone.  So in theory would be worth doing, but for now we’re trying to sell.  Letting again would probably need me to recarpet and sort some fencing out in the back garden, although that’s just 6 new panels dropped in the slotted posts I installed about 15years back.  Might even do it for the sale depending on the cost of panels.  
So nothing vehicle based getting done, and no rides on my bike either, but hopefully all done so I can get out on Sunday for a club rideout.  

IMG_5378.jpeg

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Bit of an update on various things.  
Mazda6….fitted new discs and pads all round a few weekends back.  All Mintex stuff, used them on all sorts of stuff over the years and always liked the feel of quality brakes.  Totally transformed my second Sharan after the dealer fitted the cheapest the local factors could supply. Mazda feels fixed at last.  Although we could use a good run to be sure, but the wife’s done a few trips to work and back and seems happier with it.  
Sold our caravan on Saturday, didn’t get as much as I’d liked but happy it’s gone.  
Had a bit of interest in my Bandit but no money on the table yet.  
No progress with the kitchen cupboard, still needs its door and shelves. 
Rental house has had a few viewings but no offers as yet.  My letting agent has tenants queuing up if we don’t get any interest in the remaining 6 weeks or so I’m contracted to the selling agent for. Don’t want to let it, but at what they can get us a month it would be viable to put someone new in it for a few more years.
We have now bought my sisters guides camp trailer, so I’m now looking to fit some matching alloys as the van. Luckily it runs the same stud pattern but will need 10mm spacers to clear the frame rails. So today I popped to my nephews works taking a couple of spare T4 alloy wheels with me.  They were quite badly scratched up so I wanted him to see if he could get them clean enough to powdercoat.  The worst one he managed to get quite good, but the second I’d noticed looked a bit out of true.  He stuck it on his balancer, spun it up and omg, it’s so buckled.  He reckons it’s the worst he’s ever handled, end result it’s going to be weighed in, beyond repair. Luckily I do have another one but it’s a shame as it’s the best of the 2 more spare wheels I have and I’d hoped to sell it on as a spare for someone.  Leaves me a last one, but that’s been welded.  I’ve already got one spare wheel already painted which I’m going to get the moho’s spare tyre fitted too and will mount that on the front of the trailer, saves some weight on the Moho.  I then just need two tyres for the trailer.  
So I’m looking for a pair of tyres.  Trailers currently on 195/70/14s.  My wheels are 15” so I was going to go 195/60/15, but I’m going to try a wheel off the van with it’s 195/70/15s to see if they fit in mudguards.  I’ll then try it hitched up and see how it sits height wise etc.  Hoping it’s not too silly.  Not sure what the overall difference is between a 195/70 on 14” and 15” wheels. In theory an inch, or half an inch radius??  
So another decision to make is what tyres?  The Moho is on a set of best quality Continental 200 van tyres.  They’re all 2018 dated, but were 2 years old when supplied, so one pair fitted 04/20 and the second pair 04/22.  They’re still in perfect order having only done 15k and about 7k. So one option is to buy another pair of Conti’s. The 200’s aren’t made in my size anymore, but they do a 100 model which is nigh on identical.  So a pair of them on the fronts, swap the fronts to the rear and put the oldest pair onto the trailer where they can have a very easy few years. They’re about £120 each.  Or I can have a pair of near identical Uniroyals, made by Continental for around £90 each.  Which is what I’ll probably fit to the van when I do decide to fit new tyres to it if I do the final option of leaving the Conti’s on the van for another 3,4 or 5 years, or until there’s signs of ageing.   And for the trailer I’d just fit something cheap n cheerful. A pair of I-link on eBay for about £80 the pair.  Decisions decisions…..

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Still playing with tyres for trailers. Found a near identical SH Conti similar age to my moho tyres for about £34 delivered. Decided it would do for a new spare to be carried on the trailer.. What turned up was some cheapy Laufenn thing, brand new but 10 years old.  Seems my tyre got sent eleswhere and I got whoever got my Conti’s tyre.  Full refund and they don’t want it back.  Anyway my nephew fitted it to my existing spare alloy and this afternoon I had a play to see if i can get it to fit with suitable clearances. 
I’m going to need 2x20mm spacers and 10x 45mm long M12 wheel bolts. That should give me about 10-12mm clearance to the trailer body and hopefully the tyre will bounce inside the arch without rubbing, although I may need to raise the arches a little.  Oe tyres have about 80mm under the arch, my bigger tyres leave about 60mm.  Is that enough?   
Thought I ought to see if it would fit on the spare wheel carrier. It does, just off the body and just clear of the chassis.  But like the twat I’m becoming as I get older I caught the edge of the rim while taking it back off. Grrrrrr.

So now I’m looking for another Laufenn to make a pair on the axle and I’ll swap the old moho spare to the trailer or possibly two more Laufenns!!  Checking on dates with a seller that has a pair and a single.  If the pair are newer than this one I may well have them for the axle and keep this one for the spare.  
 

Oh and the slightly higher profile tyres look like they’ll raise the rear of the trailer no more than about 1/2 an inch, which I can’t see being an issue.

IMG_5534.jpeg

IMG_5535.jpeg

IMG_5537.jpeg

IMG_5538.jpeg

IMG_5539.jpeg
Before going in for tea I fitted a new pair of tyres to the 8” wheels on my motolug trailer.  The originals were 14 years old so before I haul my older Tenere to FtBill in a few weeks time I thought it should have new ones. Will check out the wheel bearings next, hopefully just a regrease and adjust.  

Biking news, sold my Bandit last week, it’s now living in Luton.  May see it around though as the chap seemed interested in joining our IAM group.  So there’s a little more room in my workshop so I now need to get the Pan prepped for sale. 

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Long weekend in the highlands with my bike.  Took the older Tenere.  12 of us staying near Onich south of FtBill. Three cracking rides and great banter with a great bunch of mates. Been doing this 12 years although I missed an Ireland visit because of the cost and a Normandy trip that I organised but got Covid the day before going.  All the rest have been ooop north, mostly FtBill.  I cheated a little towing my bike up instead of riding.  

IMG_5599.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

IMG_1478.jpeg

dfda4163-2cab-4a98-8a96-ad09918f2b30.jpeg

IMG_5606.jpeg

IMG_0145.jpeg

9af44286-6d21-406b-a112-cb0c93ad5ccb.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Posted

So after a summer of fretting over our old rental, and just as I was becoming resigned to having to re-let it, we have accepted the one and only offer we’ve had on it.  Weird how these things happen but I’d had the letting agent round to value it and get his advice on what’s improvements we needed to make.  Quite a list tbh, and not something I was looking forward to, so to get a call literally the next day with an offer was a bit of a shock..  HUGE fingers crossed it all goes through without too much fuss.  It does at least look like a fairly simple sale, first time buyers it seems, and they have their money in place.  

  • 1 month later...
Posted

So over a month since last update.
No news on when the rental will sell, we’re chasing the agent this week to see what’s holding things up as my solicitor mate says it’s nothing our end.  
Catching up with my solicitor has had an added bonus.  I use to do quite a bit of work for him, but we drifted apart some years back, now it’s looking like I’ll be back working for him.  Spent most of last week at his offices and have other jobs in his rentals and home to do too on top of a good few days to finish at the office yet.  Hoping we can keep the connection now.   I use to go watch the football with him and his dad and brother.  I doubt that will start again unless the brothers tickets going spare.  He did the dirty on me some years ago so I have no intention of renewing that acquaintance, and won’t be going anywhere he might be.  
And anyway, it seems the wife n I have found an alternative attraction to follow…..Ice Hockey.  Our daughters been following MKLightening for a good few years now with her fiancé.  But he’s been stuck working away in Germany on and off for some months now.  Not wanting to miss the games she invited us to join her last weekend, along with her MIL to be.  We really enjoyed it, so much so we’ve been again tonight.   Won’t be our last match either. Think we’re getting the bug for it. 
I’ve recently agreed to join a few mates from my IAM group on another Valencia trip in a few weeks time.  The bike I’ll be taking has just hit 42k and is due its next service so I’ll be having a few busy weekends getting that sorted.  Need to add about 3k miles to the insurance for it too, as I’ve used up the mileage I thought I’d do this summer. . With that and holiday insurance plus the additional fuel costs I reckon my credit cards gonna get a bit hammered.  I’ve already bought a new rear tyre for it on the card, so it’s already started building… 

IMG_5805.jpeg

IMG_5813.jpeg

  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...