People Mover Ideas

Marty

If you got a Tourneo you could pretend you were Richard Briers and his Transit minibus (always misleadingly referred to as 'the Dormobile') in Ever Decreasing Circles. Of course for the full effect you would need a neighbour who is an attractive heterosexual male hairdresser who fancies your wife and drives a MGB, probably a pretty rare combination these days.

How utterly bizarre - I was just thinking about that this morning (the Dormobile) as i was sat behind a LDV minibus with a F/S notice in the window.MGB owning neighbour - checkFancies my wife - possibly checkHeterosexual - Nope, rip roaring lezza.

Savannas - TD is the one to have but they are getting old now, and hence not maintained very well.Laguna (Mk1) - is it just me or has the rear bit been designed by someone who wasn't talking to the designer of the front? Anyway, eats gearboxes if you have the 1.9DTi.Caravelle is a good shout, SCENE TAX will probably mean it costs ££££, they did do a 5-pot 2.4 which must sound LUSH but will bankrupt you unless you are mates with Red Adair. They might have done a 5-pot diesel (shared with Audi) as well? Dunno.Tourneo seems a good shout too, find a nice ex-private hire (airport run) job and you could be laughing, pretty sure they come with a/c as standard - will be nice if it still works!Estima/Lucida/Previa stuff - the diesel imports crack heads for a living and, having seen one (brought round to me for no particular good reason by this bloke in the village who likes to bug me because he used to have an Omega when I did...) the engine access is, erm, difficult. And I think the petrol (UK) ones like to eat head gaskets too.Of the Sharalahalahambralaxy triplets, any of them that comes up with the 1.9 TDI in decent nick would be good, pretty sure the Seat was the only one to feature a/c standard mind. Not sure the 806/Synergie/Ulysees are that reliable, are they? I might be confused with the new one though...505 would be my choice for dieselling into the future cheaply (on veg like), if you can find a nice one. GTDT perhaps? Or would a 406 (XUD lump, not HDi) do the trick?

The third row on a Savanna is strictly for children or smallish adults only, how taxi drivers got away with using them I don't know. The third row on a 505 is fine for grown-ups. Having had one of each I would say I prefer the Savanna. The transverse engined versions are incredibly easy to work on and many parts are interchangeable with R19 items.How about an ex Post Office LDV Pilot? You get the half minibus/ half van ones with 6 seats and they most certainly qualify as shite.

I had a plan to buy a Pilot and use it for transporting the family and bikes without faffing about with bike racks. All I can say is I'm glad I went to look before bidding. The alarm bells started ringing when I found a gearbox repair manual in his recent feedback. They rang louder when I drove it and discovered the non-functioning speedo and non existent gate. It was also starting to look a bit shabby, as a 5 year old van would have in the 1970s. I'd still consider one for occasional use though.

Guest greenvanman

I drove an LDV Pilot 1.9D once, easily the worst van I have ever driven. Therefore shite of a top-draw caliber.

Horrible things, aren't they? The only van I've driven that was more unpleasant was a Luton bodied Convoy.

Can't believe I forgot about the Tourneo, though, really nice to drive and the older shape GLX looks cool on its alloys.

Posted Image

Citroen CX Familiale?

Ok ok so I called it a Safari on page one - I'm sure Marty knew what I meant! :lol:
I did, thanks!The Fiat Milupa is truly horrible inside and despite appearances I found it cramped and lacking in headroom.That Tourneo looks rather nice - reminds me of my venture scouting days - "quick lads, into the tranny van"....

Nissan models with the LD23 engine can suffer the same issue but the LD20t-II and TD27t powered models rarely have any problems.

?Que?Now this is where I fall down when people quote numbers like this - so how do I tell which has what then? (Bit like I get all mystified when peeps say its a B10 or B11 Micra - I think "Huh?" and nod my head and pretend to know). :oops:
Thankfully, Nissan engine codes are quite logical. If the prefix has a 'D' then it's a diesel and the number gives the capacity, hence LD23 is a 2.3 diesel. The 'T' after the nuber denoted that it's a turbo, so an TD27 is non-turbo 2.7 diesel and a TD27T is the same but with a turbo. Voila! The mysteries of Nissan engine codes unravelled! If only Toyota ones made as much sense. As for chassis codes.. well those you just have to learn although there is a degree of logic to them.
Suffix 'D' means DOHC I think, so a bit confusing.