Old Hymer vendu, Polo brown motion and other four wheeled suppositories.

bangernomics

If you get hold of a copy of La Vie de L' Auto - it is stuffed with ads for 'classic insurance' I'd have a ring/email round - and weigh up the pro's and cons.

Do you have a local 'classic car club' near you? Lot's of regional clubs run by 'good ol' boys' - they're bound to have an opinion and possibly friendly underwriter.

My experience is that most 30+ yo cars are moving onto black plates. So there must be advantages... no detail info on campers myself.

The knock on is that it is saving huge swathes of 'youngtimer' cars - taking them into preservation. The UK's 40 is consigning these 'middle period' cars to a difficult middle age.

I have a black plate car. Was no issue getting insurance.

You are also CritAir exempted.

• Like 1

Thanks for that tidbit will see if the big tabac has a copy. Waiting on Amazon now for the magic stuff and big socket.

I suspect it will sit until warmer weather as you suggest but worth spinning the wheel on a friendlier retest at the same as last place.

Pump marked up and you can see how far I turned it. Smoke gone at idle. 50258a5ed7066247727b9f2e1da35734.jpg

92cf1e2e8979992d18453a09dba611cf.jpg
Thats with the engine idling. Going to throw the stuff in too.

Shame the socket wall is too thick so off to get ripped off for a thinwall somewhere.

Amazon socket ordered I couldn’t stomach €120 in LeBNQ for some chinese shite. 13 for less chinese shite seems better.

Pulls better and sits a 100kph at much less throttle. Amazed at how much difference a tiny probably one tooth change has made.

Anyway joy.

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, bangernomics said:

Amazon socket ordered I couldn’t stomach €120 in LeBNQ for some chinese shite. 13 for less chinese shite seems better.

Pulls better and sits a 100kph at much less throttle. Amazed at how much difference a tiny probably one tooth change has made.

Anyway joy.

+ 1 for the cost of new tools. The village 'jour de fetes' and annual brocantes are good for that stuff 2nd hand - some good kit turns up sometimes.

I noticed a travelling tool sellers a while back. Will have a look out but UK bound at the end of the month as need to fund work on the UK house.

Shame really I always get settled in after a few months and just don’t want the UK life but money and grandkids etc beckons us back for a bit.

Is there such a thing as a Facom van, signing up innumerate mechanics on absurd finance deals like the Snap-On man does here?

I would assume so although employees are not treated the same here. Taking someone on is a serious business and I would assume that tools are an employers responsibility. Employers NI equivalent is some magnitude in excess of the uk 14% or so. It does I believe allow seasonal workers to get 80% of their take home for 6 months after doing 6. Having never worked on a french contract I could be talking rubbish of course but one of the neighbours great grandkids works the spring summer on the farms on a 6 month contract then does 6 in reunion for winter.

• Like 2

On 01/10/2024 at 20:35, bangernomics said:

This sleeps 5 theoretically although it only has 4 seats??

Speed wise it is happiest between 50 & 60, it’ll do 70 but it doesn’t sound very kind.

Most of the journey has been at about 50.

9936e713c6cd3964fe6f16da3ff18b8f.jpg
cc93817142fa6555eb58b76cc4f879f8.jpg
08c747ce9d306af064fcbb14314a957e.jpg
1977b996707d061bd0c521a07d239b8d.jpg
2661030142f9f91267a2d07a34cf65c6.jpg

Currently here in leucate but off to Narbonne in the morning and then going to make our way back up to Brittany sadly as I have some pointing to finish before we go back. Temps are just a comfortable 24 just now.

330e56dff4060f369a50aa6b9b15b0be.jpg

Just catching up on this, I was in Leucate last year, and in Brittany a couple of weeks ago, but have never driven from top to bottom or vice versa.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2024 at 22:53, bangernomics said:

I would assume so although employees are not treated the same here. Taking someone on is a serious business and I would assume that tools are an employers responsibility. Employers NI equivalent is some magnitude in excess of the uk 14% or so. It does I believe allow seasonal workers to get 80% of their take home for 6 months after doing 6. Having never worked on a french contract I could be talking rubbish of course but one of the neighbours great grandkids works the spring summer on the farms on a 6 month contract then does 6 in reunion for winter.

I think payroll taxes are roughly equal to the worker's  pay. Which could explain the high unemployment rate. 

• Like 1

Yes thats a good assumption. That is why stuff feels expensive. State pension levels are good relative to income though as everyone gets based on contribs rather than the uk flat rate.

It is the eternal I don’t like being taxed but want free stuff conundrum.

Just catching up on this, I was in Leucate last year, and in Brittany a couple of weeks ago, but have never driven from top to bottom or vice versa.

We avoided tolls as too slow and tight. The journey is much better when you get to see what you are passing through and becomes part of our holidays.
  • Agree 2

Back to vehicles.

The right socket has landed, god it is tight and i am wondering if I just farm it out as no pullers etc here so all I can do is re grease and try again.

Might be worth getting a new bearing in.

I have an extending wheel brace thingy and a bar to go over it. The wheel brace is slightly angled so aligning the socket and probably an axle stand is going to be fun.

Also must finish pointing before winter.

2 hours ago, bangernomics said:

We avoided tolls as too slow and tight. The journey is much better when you get to see what you are passing through and becomes part of our holidays.

An old motorhome like that would get hassled and overtaken by trucks on the autoroute.Not pleasant. I've driven a J5 coach-built and as you say, 50mph is the comfortable continuous speed. 70 must be horrendous.😊

• Like 2

Well spent an hour strimming and had a pop at the hub nut. It came off a bit too easily? These aren’t allegedly affected by the nut as it just pulls the driveshaft up and the spacer in the middle does the endfloat. Anyway i jammed in as much grease as I could squeeze by the slots in the driveshaft and did it up FKN tight. It is about 20% more turn using the scientific method so maybe it was a bit loose? The wibble feels less that may be hope measurements in my head.

The other side feels identical so there is nothing more to be done. The bearing is quiet and smooth otherwise.

Bashed the nut into the slots and popped the cap back on. If it fails again it can sit until next year when I CBA to deal with it/buy a pair of recon stubs in the UK.
472959e73be170e6966cf622bce00ff0.jpg
7206da1fee8fb652d982608512f980ed.jpg

7 hours ago, bangernomics said:

Yes thats a good assumption. That is why stuff feels expensive. State pension levels are good relative to income though as everyone gets based on contribs rather than the uk flat rate.

It is the eternal I don’t like being taxed but want free stuff conundrum.

'France is another country they do things differently there.'

But joking aside - there is a vibrant second hand market either through the summer brocantes/jours de fêtes/bourse d'echanges (autojumbles) for a lot of stuff.

For other stuff buying directly from producers and suppliers can also reduce costs - as well as local markets. Overall cost of living is comparable with UK once you get the hang of it I find. 

But yea walking into the local Bricomarche/Agrial makes you pine for Screwfix - WD40 €10 for a small can etc - I always reckon most stuff will turn up on a second hand stall eventually - different pace of life.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

But joking aside - there is a vibrant second hand market either through the summer brocants/jours de fêtes/bourse d'echanges (autojumbles) for a lot of stuff.

For other stuff buying directly from producers and suppliers can also reduce costs - as well as local markets. Overall cost of living is comparable with UK once you get the hang of it I find. 

But yea walking into the local Bricomarche/Agrial makes you pine for Screwfix - WD40 €10 for a small can etc - I always reckon most stuff will turn up on a second hand stall eventually - different pace of life.

I'd say Lidl and Aldi do well with their special buys there.

• Like 2

But joking aside - there is a vibrant second hand market either through the summer brocantes/jours de fêtes/bourse d'echanges (autojumbles) for a lot of stuff.

Car & house insurance is buttons, utilities about 2/3rds, fresh veg that we don’t grow ourselves about 25% more. Overall the quality of life and tranquility would be worth twice that.

I think I may have sold it. A chap has been pestering for a while and we decided a bigger one would be better for our longer term travel plans. I am to do winter in Maroc when the little ones don’t need nanny so much. May go do it on my own too with the pooches.

You have 6 months now to go for historic plates - CT every 5 years.🍾

Thats very tempting but see above. I bought it quite cheap with all the gas equipment broken and in boxes so there is a good profit in it.

It may still be worth more on 'black plates' - because they remain with the vehicle in perpetuity - but the new owner can do that.

The 30 year rule is saving a lot of French cars by moving them into preservation - particularly say rare cars where parts are difficult and a 2-yearly test would prove onerous and 'cooking' popular French cars like the 2CV.  This preserved cohort is seen as a significant 'heritage' and of course drives the preservation industry that stands behind the cars.

Up to him clearly but it remains an option. Perhaps discuss with some French owners. Of course vehicles still need a test but every 5 years.

My 59’ 2CV is going onto the FFVE registration. I think it will be exempt after it has the first one as it is ancient.

It is also mechanically and structurally immaculate so would be fine anyway. Still hasn’t been painted yet.

• Like 2

On 13/10/2024 at 14:25, artdjones said:

An old motorhome like that would get hassled and overtaken by trucks on the autoroute.Not pleasant.

I also prefer travelling through places, rather than past them, if time is not important. But my experience is there aren't many trucks using the peage, so haven't had a problem sitting at the usual 53mph in the LT. Difficulty is when the satnav calculates a faster journey time based on a longer route sat at 130kmh!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

I also prefer travelling through places, rather than past them, if time is not important. But my experience is there aren't many trucks using the peage, so haven't had a problem sitting at the usual 53mph in the LT. Difficulty is when the satnav calculates a faster journey time based on a longer route sat at 130kmh!

I haven't used the tolled autoroutes much, as a lot of motorways around Brittany and Normandy are free. And they have lots of trucks driven up to the limiter.

If the pèage roads are empty of trucks it would make you wonder whether having them is a great policy. One of the big points in favour of motorways is speeding trade communication.

• Like 1

And the old hymer is sold, delivered today.

Stopped at the supermarket for some celebratory butter and milk. Spotted this missing panel delight. Being used as if nothing has happened.

6aa6775c60d6cf83c2a54f83ad20dadd.jpg