Privateer Rallying

Mr H Sceptre

Evening allI've got a couple of mates who are considering purchasing an old rally car as a project, fixing it up & doing a bit of privateer rallying.Anyone done any privateering before? Whats involved ie do you need a license? How do you go about entering? Costs of entering? Dont know a thing about this, so any info would be gratefully received.....

find your nearest MSA affiliated motor club and join it

http://www.msauk.org

yes you do need a license and the car has to fitted with safety equipment that conforms to lots of rules

mistakes in this area are expensive, so make sure you know the rules before buying anything

if you are on a budget then throwaway cars are the way to go

me and a mate got started with Skoda Estelles back when you could pick them up for £25. Everytime we wrecked one we'd just buy another and swap all the rally bits over

Evening allI've got a couple of mates who are considering purchasing an old rally car as a project, fixing it up & doing a bit of privateer rallying.Anyone done any privateering before? Whats involved ie do you need a license? How do you go about entering? Costs of entering? Dont know a thing about this, so any info would be gratefully received.....

Is that classic road or stage :?: classic only requires an old car and that you are a member off a motor club, i have done a few off these and entries range from £60 to £150 some even have a meal included at the end,road is similar but you can use moderns.stage is the most expensive car has to be msa log booked which requires in date harneses fia aproved seats rollcage fire eater, you also have to have fireproof overalls and an aproved helmet most are dated and have a limited lifespan which adds to the cost :roll: your car must be moted but some single venues dont require the car to be taxed, if you are new to stage rallying then to get your race license requires a bars test .Regarding costs - alot! The safety equipment means roll cage (£600), Harnesses (£200), Extinguisher system (£400), Comp seats (£400), you'll need a racesuit and helmet (£600) too. These figures are ball park for all new and you could easily spend more, you can buy second hand stuff but beware as the msa change the rules yearly so that bargain set off overalls you baged may well be out offf date the following year :shock: So that's about £2500 with no costs for the work needed to install all this kit. I wish I hadn't added all that up myself actually The car i am in the midle off building might have staled as safety devises are wanting £800 for a cage as i cant source a second hand one anyware :(