Jump to content

Grumblespeed - A Grand Day Out.. with a Cherry on top.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Well, forgive me for being a poor 'shiter. Don't seem to have updated for a while. So, Rover's gone to someone that might actually get round to getting it back on the road. So far only failed the MOT on some standing round for 2 years related brake issues so fingers crossed.  Roffle prize blue Panda now has the above stuff all fitted and I'm just waiting for a cooler day to un ruin it as I went one step too far and put poly bushes in some old front arms which are now creaking and knocking merrily away. New standard arms waiting to go on. Red Panda is now SORN as I've had to tax and insure another new arrival courtesy of @RetroShite

https://www.facebook.com/Retroshite/posts/pfbid0D37ETuf3vp9eQZFNbNKTEoJHxJiZnNRB9sGfHW7cj5Jj7VCTud4wbC12K7XPh1xFl

May be an image of car

  • Congratulations 3
  • Grumblespeed changed the title to Grumblespeed - Won another thing..
Posted

So, after just over a week I finally got round to actually driving this Xsara. Snagging list is getting gradually longer with a couple of niggles appearing for every one I fix. So first one was tyres, usable condition all round until I noticed that while the fronts were the correct 185/65/14 the rears were a matching pair of 165/65/14. Fixed this in traditional fashion with a set of Peugeot rims off marketplace

IMG_20260710_213401_HDR.jpg.81f1a8c9629e772a60b230f2f993ffb9.jpg

..which I nearly got away with but the offset left them a bit lost in the arches and the fronts were catching the track rods on full lock, 20 mm spacers all round this morning left it finally driveable and looking a bit less ungainly.

IMG_20260715_104336_HDR.jpg.aede0a33da694301afa5b4596be0e662.jpg

Crucial to the operation of the car also the speakers seemed to be original all round..

IMG_20260707_202751_HDR.jpg.371efdad7612ec2c8187ed581046c763.jpg

definitely woofed their best those. Managed to replace all 4 main speakers from the stores which was a result.IMG_20260707_203344_HDR.jpg.4423b9923a8751627569eade80f1c87a.jpgIMG_20260707_203413_HDR.jpg.594592cb09c62943ba34d0b764cf80bd.jpg

Also crucial, replacement gearknob from the box of knobs that's been gathering dust in the garage for years while I've had a succession of cars with lift reverse sleeves, plus a CD head unit to replace the newfangled mechless Bluetooth thingy that was fitted

IMG_20260715_175605_HDR.jpg.953db953c21a7162e4c570f7ebdb6609.jpg

Fitted sideways obviously. That's about as far as I've got so far. Still on the list the seats are manky, the rear in particular is wrecked with the fabric completely split round the seams at the split fold, although the drivers seat is in decent nick. Dog owner maybe? Oh yes and the back of the centre console broken off which some barbarian had stuck back together with silicon... White silicon!😲 I mean you couldn't even have got some black stuff!!

IMG_20260707_203454_HDR.jpg.0b306351bc1c03c74ff2470e9fde925b.jpg

some emergency Halfords coverage for the rear for now which I inexplicably haven't got a photo of. Just imagine some tacky black nylon stretched vaguely over the above mess.

Paintwork is pretty naff in places, usual sun damage thing of the upward facing bits suffering. Bonnet is a bit scuffed but not too bad, roof looks like the ice rink at the end of a figure skating competition. Mirrors are peeling over the top so had a go at one in the sunshine this morning. Came out pretty well until I dropped it🥴

IMG_20260715_121059_HDR.jpg.6331297dd2e2a68ede398979328a0cdd.jpg

Still on the list, clutch is pretty stiff but it's cable so will get it all lubed up before I worry too much. Wipers don't self park which is annoying but not a disaster for now. Speedo is miles out and the gearing seems to be shorter than it should be so suspect there's been some gearbox jiggery pokery at some point. And OMG the exhaust... Sounds quite cool for about 2 minutes but really, not any significant silencing on there... and it's a quality build.

IMG_20260715_175008_HDR.jpg.2f65ccb212b4852df32e5ae132b92a27.jpg

Standard back box on order. Looks like it'll take some butchering to get on as it is supposed to be a tapered flange fitting which has been hacked off the centre section presumably after some brown stuff infestation got in, but fortunately looks like there's a selection of sleeves under there already to help get it back together.

State of play just now then, just need to drive it for a bit now and see if I want to start putting any more effort in..

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Been messing about with the Citroen some more - couldn't live with the daft exhaust (Hornet apparently when I got it off) so after some de - bodgery and subsequent re bodgery as the back end of the centre pipe had obviously been choppped to get the fart cannon on the standard backbox went on:

IMG_20260726_200258_HDR.jpg.87ca9271779b5efcb7258e913caef482.jpgIMG_20260726_200403_HDR.jpg.2a98b5f0add6f12bc3e6b10fe2f84244.jpg

What a difference! It is hard up against the rear beam so knocks a bit but it's still massively better than the noise it made before.

Then today... Did some wheel shopping and made it look like a Hot Wheels toy😁

IMG_20260822_195431_HDR.jpg.1e251418c400af05472b70ca2e2d197b.jpg

17" 208 GTi wheels, possibly a bit over the top but it seems to drive well, quieter (decent tyres on them) and the arches are definitely better filled now.

Meanwhile had an outing with the previous roffle win to the Fiats and Friends show at Gaydon:

IMG_20260822_205409.jpg.d643bd6767fcb8393f83a6a6157f4fd1.jpg

  • 5 weeks later...
Posted

Another outing for the little blue Fiat today - Mitcar show at Grimsthorpe Castle. Thoroughly excellent day out and was greeted as soon as I parked up by the car's original owner - what are the chances!!

IMG_20260920_124254_HDR.jpg.b16696865d9a48281ecaa6c46ed088fe.jpg

IMG_20260920_124241_HDR.jpg.0d65346f012d86bbbe1f7c3c3fd807f3.jpg

Absolute car of the show for me though - how many of these do you see in the wild:

IMG_20260920_122128_HDR.jpg.90d7c95f37ef3f42c7f11b47ac2123a3.jpg

IMG_20260920_122103_HDR.jpg.cada7f9893a0aa5b8077887e7553a248.jpg

  • Grumblespeed changed the title to Grumblespeed - A Grand Day Out.. with a Cherry on top.
Posted

Panda is looking good.Did they discontinue that colour on the later ones?  I was looking for a £35 tax Panda in that blue or the vanilla yellow but couldn't find a blue one that was late enough to be cheap tax

I remember almost buying an Alfa Arna from a bombsite trader for £250 in around 1996 but decided to keep my Mk2 Escort instead 

  • Like 1
Posted

Don't know about the colour, see a lot of 500s about later in a similar blue but only usually crops up on the early Pandas.

To be fair to you the Escort would still be the banker today. Did have a soft spot for my Cherry back in the day though, a more AS appropriate 1.3 5 door in various silvers.

Posted
1 hour ago, Grumblespeed said:

Another outing for the little blue Fiat today - Mitcar show at Grimsthorpe Castle. Thoroughly excellent day out and was greeted as soon as I parked up by the car's original owner - what are the chances!!

IMG_20260920_124254_HDR.jpg.b16696865d9a48281ecaa6c46ed088fe.jpg

IMG_20260920_124241_HDR.jpg.0d65346f012d86bbbe1f7c3c3fd807f3.jpg

Absolute car of the show for me though - how many of these do you see in the wild:

IMG_20260920_122128_HDR.jpg.90d7c95f37ef3f42c7f11b47ac2123a3.jpg

IMG_20260920_122103_HDR.jpg.cada7f9893a0aa5b8077887e7553a248.jpg

Cherry Europe is a rare spot! Glad you had Panda fun

  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Another exciting trip out for the blue Panda... MOT day😧

In a refreshing change from last years struggle with emissions it's a first time pass this year though. One advisory for an O/S track rod end which I have ready in the spares box so no big issues there.

IMG_20261007_092934_HDR.jpg.1885aeb718615a375369a96064f83d37.jpg

Good little car👍

  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...