Reliant Rialto

oldcars

Cheers, enjoying it so far. I was wanting to get the head off as i thought it would be hard work. Now for the rebuild.

The head is away at a friend of a friends machine shop. He was saying head bolts being a different tightness is a classic sign that the engine has overheated. It has only once in my ownership, and that was on the run home from buying it 18 months back.

Need to get stuff cleaned up while its away, rocker painted and that engine mount changed.

i would say its a classic sign that it wasnt retorqued properly.the fact you got it off so easy says to me that its been changed not that long ago.

change all 4 mounts,not just one,easy enough to do using a jack and some wood.the hardest problem you might have is if the rubber has sheared off the metal stud and the nuts are siezed,they can be an absolute arse to get out.

i would say its a classic sign that it wasnt retorqued properly.the fact you got it off so easy says to me that its been changed not that long ago.

change all 4 mounts,not just one,easy enough to do using a jack and some wood.the hardest problem you might have is if the rubber has sheared off the metal stud and the nuts are siezed,they can be an absolute arse to get out.

Thanks, thats what i though too. The back ones are harder to get to and i get the feeling they were just left.

Engine mount looks like the bolt is still in the rubber and its broken at the bottom into whatever is screws into. You can see a rusty ring mark where it was sitting and its moved about 5mm to the right.

yes the rear two are screwed into the gearbox,the lower studs sitting in slots in a cradle.

the fronts should have metal hats on,which are meant to stop oil getting on them.

from the 90s onwards reliant just fitted whatever they could find lying around so no two are the same.

dont get mounts from reliant pratsworld,they are too soft.

Was watching wheeler dealers last night. Edd was doing the head gasket on a TR6. He was using a torque wrench to tighten the head down. Got me thinking, how am i going to get a torque wrench on the driver side head bolts as there is no room? Had to undo them them with a spanner.

Head back, all machines and new stem seals fitted. Last night i cleaned up the block and did a bit of general cleaning of the block. Still waiting on some parts.

Those that have done these before once the head is torqued up how long do you wait to check it?

Thanks for the tips. I have been reading up, some folk run them with no coolant for 2 mins or so, it this what you do? Don't like the sound of it to be fare.

I strongly advise you not to do this, You wouldnt run your engine without putting oil in it would you? Running without coolant You risk warping the head, damaging the new gasket, damaging water pump barings etc.

Running the engine dry is bad advice trotted out by idiots who have at best limited mechanical sympathy and really should know better. I Hate to see this bad advice run out time and again.

You should do the following:

• Choose a good quality gasket, (not a reliant pratsworld one) - I can point you in the right direction if you get stuck.
  • Have the Cylinder Head checked and skimmed if needed, a Light skim should only cost £30 and will be money well spent,
  • Make sure the block is as clean as you can get it, I prefer to use a razorblade, followed by wiping down with meths or petrol.
  • When fitting the new gasket smear a little grease around the fire ring on both sides of the gasket,
  • Ensure all The plain washers and Spring washers are present and in good condition,
  • Follow the factory torque sequence and torque down in stages. to 15 ft lb, 20 ft lb, and finally to 25ft lb.  Use a decent click type torque wrench, Norbar, britool or similar,
  • Torque the 3 bolts on the spark plug side of the head to 15ft lb only. Do these last.
  • Refill engine with coolant/ water / oil before restarting,
  • Its ok to check the torque after running the engine a few times, but strictly speaking it should not be needed. When overchecking use the factroy sequence and don't exceed the maximum figure. You should not need to go higher than this.

[Edit - I missed the bit where you said you had it all back together. ] Hope it goes well for you when you restart.

I strongly advise you not to do this, You wouldnt run your engine without putting oil in it would you? Running without coolant You risk warping the head, damaging the new gasket, damaging water pump barings etc.

Running the engine dry is bad advice trotted out by idiots who have at best limited mechanical sympathy and really should know better. I Hate to see this bad advice run out time and again.

You should do the following:

• Choose a good quality gasket, (not a reliant pratsworld one) - I can point you in the right direction if you get stuck.
  • Have the Cylinder Head checked and skimmed if needed, a Light skim should only cost £30 and will be money well spent,
  • Make sure the block is as clean as you can get it, I prefer to use a razorblade, followed by wiping down with meths or petrol.
  • When fitting the new gasket smear a little grease around the fire ring on both sides of the gasket,
  • Ensure all The plain washers and Spring washers are present and in good condition,
  • Follow the factory torque sequence and torque down in stages. to 15 ft lb, 20 ft lb, and finally to 25ft lb.  Use a decent click type torque wrench, Norbar, britool or similar,
  • Torque the 3 bolts on the spark plug side of the head to 15ft lb only. Do these last.
  • Refill engine with coolant/ water / oil before restarting,
  • Its ok to check the torque after running the engine a few times, but strictly speaking it should not be needed. When overchecking use the factroy sequence and don't exceed the maximum figure. You should not need to go higher than this.

[Edit - I missed the bit where you said you had it all back together. ] Hope it goes well for you when you restart.

Hi, thanks for the info. Its not back together yet, i just have had the head back from the machine place. Lots was done to it. Did a bit more last night but noticed one of the studs in the manifold is thin in the middle after i had attached it to the head so took it off again and this is to be replaced. I will start the big rebuild next week.