"Scene" twats.

barefoot

Yes. Although there are some young chaps in our midst sporting ginger beards and polo mints in their ears and ironic baseball caps. They're taking us over y'know.

I have a mainly grey beard these days and own a baseball cap, can someone complete the trilogy by making me young(er) again, I'll promise not to add pineapple to anything non edible...
  • Like 1

I have a mainly grey beard these days and own a baseball cap, can someone complete the trilogy by making me young(er) again, I'll promise not to add pineapple to anything non edible...

I have a hole cutter for leather belts?

I think there's a distinction missing here, there's modifying cars to improve them, which you'll do for yourself, then there's modifying for the bottom feeders, to look modified, it's all on the outside, usually to the vehicles detriment, motivated by this freaky obsession to shock, impress, attract attention. Wankers gonna be wankers I suppose but I do get pissed off when they all hit the roads together every payday and 'drive' their deathtraps around like utter turds.

• Like 6

As long as people allow me to enjoy my cars without ridicule, snorting and pffting, then I shall repay that respect to them.

Live and let live.

I agree with this, but why are you expected,if you purchase a certain car or type of car, to conform to the "scene"? Since I've got the Vito, I've lost count of the times I've been asked " when are the alloys going on... slam it... you should get one of those bonnet bra's...colour code it.. I'd put a load of 6x9's in the back "

No. I don't want to be part of your club. I don't want to modify my vehicle with someone else's idea of what's cool. Why would I purchase a practical vehicle to modify for my needs, then make it impractical and usless for what I want to use it for. I will admit I love the look of a nicely modded van, but that's not what I want on this one.

Without fail, any car I've ever bought that's been "improved" has been worse than a standard one in handling and the way it goes. I'm constantly haulling in "drift" BMW's etc and even running an MOT testers eye over them at the side of the road makes me want to smack them one. 98% of them are feckin' dangerous.

• Like 7

A scene twat has all the gear and no idea. There is tribalism involved here too, people like to belong, that's why forums exist, you want to be part of something else even if you say you don't.  You might not like people and be a grumpy twat and those are exactly the sorts of people you want to interact with because you know they'll probably leave you to your own devices.

If you have a particular vehicle, certain things are expected of you.  It confuses people when you don't follow whatever the trend for that vehicle is, be that modifying or leaving alone.  That's the grown up approach really, you have a car because you want or are lumped with and if you change it or don't it's at your own discretion.

Then you get the other side of the coin where someone will buy a particular car to turn it into a particular thing to fit in with the peer group they want to impress, or shock, or annoy.  Tribalism.  For some it's turning a car into a deathtrap, for some it's applying questionable air brushing and for some it's doing nothing at all.

The point of this thread was, I believe, to have a bit of a giggle at some try-hards.  Occasionally, something not-that-bad-really has snuck in.  Here's a Ferrari*

ferrari-enzo--55bb45a3052a1.jpg

A scene twat has all the gear and no idea. There is tribalism involved here too, people like to belong, that's why forums exist, you want to be part of something else even if you say you don't.  You might not like people and be a grumpy twat and those are exactly the sorts of people you want to interact with because you know they'll probably leave you to your own devices.

If you have a particular vehicle, certain things are expected of you.  It confuses people when you don't follow whatever the trend for that vehicle is, be that modifying or leaving alone.  That's the grown up approach really, you have a car because you want or are lumped with and if you change it or don't it's at your own discretion.

Then you get the other side of the coin where someone will buy a particular car to turn it into a particular thing to fit in with the peer group they want to impress, or shock, or annoy.  Tribalism.  For some it's turning a car into a deathtrap, for some it's applying questionable air brushing and for some it's doing nothing at all.

The point of this thread was, I believe, to have a bit of a giggle at some try-hards.  Occasionally, something not-that-bad-really has snuck in.  Here's a Ferrari*

ferrari-enzo--55bb45a3052a1.jpg

I would love to see someone join the Ferrari Owners Club then rock up in that

• Like 2

I sometimes see young lads driving in convoy at 45-50mph on a dual carriageway - probably going to a tribal gathering.  Their cars have stretched wide tyres on oversize alloys which restrict steering lock, suspension lowered so that there isn't any and stupid camber which makes the wide tyres run on the inner edge. Their expressions vary between embarrassment ('cos they dare not go faster) and extreme tension (if they are approaching a ridge across all lanes).  I have no objection to them going out of their way to look silly, but how do they get insurance and MOTs?

I prefer to look silly/pathetic (in some people's eyes) by driving either a giffer-dented 205 automatic (previous owner was 94), a nearly 30 years old Stellar which is being nibbled by rust or a 56 years old car with a wheel missing.  We all have our foibles  :-D .

• Like 1

Bloke I know who's owned a couple of Ferraris and driven many more reckons you can tell the fakes as they are much better made than genuine ones :)

• Like 3

I would love to see someone join the Ferrari Owners Club then rock up in that

Something not entirely dissimilar happened 20 odd years ago. Some bloke had bought some bare 1960's Ferrari body shells at an auction, stripped of running gear to build *yet another* 250GTO replica. Restored one ofd them and fitted it with a small block Chevrolet V8 and 2 speed auto, Jaguar IRS etc. Stunning workmanship - parked up at a Ferrari gathering at Silverstone it might as well have had 'I like children' on the side.

I once had the temerity to suggest the 1974 impact bumper 2.7 Carrera was a better bet than the RS (they are mechanically identical) and one of the RS owners got ever so precious.

Wankers, all of them.

I am a member of several owners' clubs simply for the lower insurance costs.

Did a couple of BKVs in my Amazon. Never again. Won't be taking the Amazon to shows. Or the SVX, for that matter.

I'm planning to rock up to Chumbumley in my 305 with a collection of mugs I stole from my previous employer - complete with a massive shit eating grin and bad tape of Mario Lanza.

Not many trades now wear riggers, there a bit shit really. A bit of metal can easy jump down the sides and into your socks... ouch!!!

14e98cb6ec7c99ff962ea6eebab14b81.jpg

I wear rigger boots for my job as a welder, the trick is to put the overalls over the boot and not tucked inside.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk