70s American car design drawings

garethj

Speaking of Cuba, when it does resume relations with the U.S.A there are going to be some folk mighty disappointed to discover that the treasure trove of 50s classics are all total wrecks with lada running gear, held together by the paint!

Sounds ideal. Anyone fancy a buying trip to cuba?

Obama plans to loosen the embargo. It was in last week's paper

Almost a shame from a tourist's perspective...

thing is though it wasnt just in car design that the 1960's rule, but aviation (VC10, just achingly beautiful, Concorde, damn fast looking even on the ground) but ships (QE2 anyone, had to sail in circles round the new one even at the end of its service) and even daft stuff like tellys (that stylish white bubble one)

now its the lowest common denominator all the way. i work in construction, and even the flash stuff i've helped design, Heron Tower or the Shard, is frankly crap.

• Like 3

^^Agree completely.   Post Office Tower, Bedford VAL (esp. with Duple Vega Major body), SRN4, Midlands Pullman,  Quant skirts, Leyland Ergomatics....Need we go on?   I am a Fifties bloke by choice but we did some champion stuff in the 1960s.   No wonder I have kind of tried to stay there....

• Like 3

Obama plans to loosen the embargo. It was in last week's paper

Almost a shame from a tourist's perspective...

Apparently a lot of Canadians are fed up that Cuba will shortly be over run by hordes of Americans when the embargo is lifted.

All the below are from an exhibition currently in Houston.

Old design renderings are considered fine art. There is now a permanent exhibition of British designs in the Coventry transport museum, should any Shiter actually care.

One thing is very obvious though.

Nothing really has to look as daft as the newfangled shit does nowadays.

Whereabouts in Houston?   Is it at the Art Car museum?  

Apparently a lot of Canadians are fed up that Cuba will shortly be over run by hordes of Americans when the embargo is lifted.

Ah Haaa.... so 'our' broadminded ex-colonials have had the wee isle to themselves forever...?

Whilst Yanks (who cannot have a Cuba stamp in their PP) have been kept at bay....

Pity the poor Cubans  :roll:

TS

thing is though it wasnt just in car design that the 1960's rule, but aviation (VC10, just achingly beautiful, Concorde, damn fast looking even on the ground) but ships (QE2 anyone, had to sail in circles round the new one even at the end of its service) and even daft stuff like tellys (that stylish white bubble one)

now its the lowest common denominator all the way. i work in construction, and even the flash stuff i've helped design, Heron Tower or the Shard, is frankly crap.

Televisions might have looked cool in the 1960s (although most were just a variation on a tube in a fake teak box theme) but they didn't work very well.

^^^^ My M&D had a hire TV just about 1970 - from DER - and the service guy lived over the road.

... it was a 'Finlandia' 28" colour I think and very reliable >> until it went phutt!

Local guy comes from over the road, with his box of bits, and whamms in a valve (Ohh Yeahh...!!!) Normal service resumed.

I thought it really cool, he had this tool box - full of valves and such - but he had marked the ends of the boxes with a biro 'X' to show what was duff....

TS

No, indeed, 1960s Tellies were not that reliable.   I remember one of ours going on the blink Christmas Eve.  Dad ran round the road to a friend of his whose dolly bird daughter was dating a DER man.  He came round and loaned us a set till the shops opened again.  However, I did see Churchills Funeral, 66 World Cup, the Moon landing and every episode of Z Cars so it wasn't all bad.  No fumbling with remotes either - just a big clonky switch that clunked from 1 to 10.   No, not 10 channels - 3 at the most, the other 7 were varieties of snowstorm.   The best thing about them though was they did indeed break at regular intervals, forcing you to go and do something the hell else.   There was nobody called Brand, Schofield or Clarkson on them either.  

there is a family story about the moon landings, apparently my dads parents went out and bought a colour telly especially for it in 1969, betty was most put out when the pictures came back from the moon......

in black and while!

dunno how true that is, as i was born ion 1974! but i do remember there been only 3 channels, and having to get up off of my arse, and PUSH the relavent button to change channels.

and to prove that i'm old, i told that to one of the kids ant work (Ashlee was at the time 23) and she didn't believe me!! (mind she had no idea at all what an inch was either)

I remember those rediffusion boxes mounted on the wall with the rotary dial to change channels. And the little dot in the centre of the screen when you switched off.

God I feel old