First cars with 6 digit odometer

Dyslexic Viking

Any mk2 Fiesta Popular/Pop Plus (and pre-'87 L-models) without trip recorders had to be driven faster than 10 mph before you could read the Fiesta's entire 5-figure mileage. The stubby white speedometer needle would completely mask out the first digit on the mileage recorder when the car was at rest, or moving slower than 10 mph. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MantaGTE85 said:

Any mk2 Fiesta Popular/Pop Plus (and pre-'87 L-models) without trip recorders had to be driven faster than 10 mph before you could read the Fiesta's entire 5-figure mileage. The stubby white speedometer needle would completely mask out the first digit on the mileage recorder when the car was at rest, or moving slower than 10 mph. 

My Dad had one car that had a speedometer needle which would cover the trip counter when driving at 70 mph.

The Pug 504 started with 5-digit odo but at some point in the 70s it gained a 6th. I can’t find a precise date and could also be dependent on gauge manufacturers- Jaeger seem to be 5 digit and unbranded & Veglia 6 from pictures I’ve seen.

Certainly by the time they used the instrument panel as also fitted to the early 1980s 104, Visa, C15 and first dash Samba it was on 6 digits.

The early 505 Break Familial my grandad bought new and passed on to mum and dad after a few years was certainly 6 digits.

• Like 2