Shite at the Vicarage: Austin Metro L

The Vicar

On 05/09/2024 at 19:19, grogee said:

...Looking at this I'm taken straight back to working in a garage as a teenager and servicing loads of Mum Metros. I can clearly remember hooking one up to the COMPUTERIZED ignition tune thing... Big blue thing with an oscilloscope. 

Something like this?

Screenshot_20240909-215055.png.e22468dc7f7aee887a4eff36504bc8c3.png

Really do need to finish dragging this back into the land of the living at some point.

9 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Something like this?

Screenshot_20240909-215055.png.e22468dc7f7aee887a4eff36504bc8c3.png

Really do need to finish dragging this back into the land of the living at some point.

Yes much like that but older, it sat on a cabinet with castors. Pretty sure it didn't have a text readout, only an oscilloscope screen and a load of knobs and buttons. 

Good luck with the resurrection. Will it be something you actually use in anger? 

On 10/09/2024 at 07:45, grogee said:

Yes much like that but older, it sat on a cabinet with castors. Pretty sure it didn't have a text readout, only an oscilloscope screen and a load of knobs and buttons. 

Good luck with the resurrection. Will it be something you actually use in anger? 

It should be a genuinely useful tool given the amount of data it can show you.  Especially if I can get the gas analyser properly working as well.

IMG_20191121_184058.jpg.3135ef214e85a0b38070230986e57758.jpg

There are some other deeper tests which it can do, but I'm not going to drag this thread any further off topic with it!

I'm still quite surprised by how sophisticated the computer side of things is, with a National INS8900D running the show rather than something more mundane like a Z80 or Intel 8080 which I'd have expected by 1984.

Thankfully that side of things seems to be fine, it's just going to be getting the various analogue systems reliably back into the land of the living.

Actually moving it back into the garage is going to be a "fun" task given that the thing weighs about as much as a small moon.