Not so Smart Car

Dobloseven

Oldest daughter and her husband have lived and worked in Dubai for the last eight years. They have however bought a house in Yorkshire to stay in when they come home for the summer and Christmas. About three years ago they bought a 54reg Smart For Four to use. However with Covid, it's not been used since 2019 and has sat in their garage. They came home last week and took it for Mot, ending up with a bill for over 700 pounds. Two tyres, rear pads and discs plus a rear caliper. The ABS light came on after they picked it up. Took it back, diagnostics reveal an issue with rear nearside brake but told will be ok. Drove down to ours in Leicester on Thursday, noticed a burning smell coming of the motorway and ABS light on again but seemed ok after that. Daughter took it out today, went on the motorway by mistake and noticed smell and smoke from rear, plus ABS light. Came home and rear nearside wheel so hot that paint and plastic centre cap had melted. Brake pads had turned white and disc scored brown. Let it cool down expecting binding brake, but nothing of sort. Handbrake works fine as does footbrake. Took it for a short drive and all seemed ok with light going off once car is moving. Did some emergency stops on nearby industrial estate, no problem. Got home, wheel and brake no hotter than other side. Son thought it might be ABS sensor. Jacked it up again all free, wheel off caliper and pads off, plus bracket and disc. Then notice bearing is very rough with a pronounced flat spot. It's one of those bolt on assemblies that incorporates the ABS as well. Also the dust shield on the new caliper has gone very crumbly with the heat. Going to see what parts we can get tomorrow as really need it done by Thursday.

I think these are based on a Mazda, cannot remember which one, I'm sure other more knowledgeable members can confirm this.  See if the parts for said Mazda are cheaper that Smart does.

5 minutes ago, 2flags said:

I think these are based on a Mazda, cannot remember which one, I'm sure other more knowledgeable members can confirm this.  See if the parts for said Mazda are cheaper that Smart does.

Mitsubishi Colt, actually.

19 hours ago, D.E said:

Mitsubishi Colt, actually.

Well, think we've got it done! Phoned a large local parts place tic morning. Had bearing, pads and caliper in stock. Wondered about repair kit for caliper, which was only fitted days ago, but they didn't stock such things and time is short for online ordering. 136 quid after exchange of old(new) caliper. Everything had come undone easily, perhaps due to the heat. Old (new) disc needed much scraping to remove residue of melted pads. Fitted onto new hub, checked with dial indicator and well out of true. New disc in stock so another 36 pounds. Cross I wasted time on the old one. Clocks up well within limits so all good until the bleeding which was a problem until oldest so turned up and took over. Must be getting old. By now son in law has returned and tells me all this caliper melting business was why the parts were changed last week.Garage and Mot tester must have missed the faulty bearing. Must admit it wasn't very apparent with the wheel on,and  no noise on the road.IMG_20220717_103838.thumb.jpg.ae81c83d6f44d0a821da24a090b223e4.jpgIMG_20220717_144845.thumb.jpg.69b2f7d3bf43c6b0cc45171dcfb5ce43.jpgIMG_20220717_170620.thumb.jpg.bd0375c6d7aa5c76711752ebd618f482.jpgIt is a funny little car with a 1.5 3 cylinder diesel and a sort of automated manual gearbox

Seems ok now. Managed to reform the melted wheel cap with a heat gun and 34mm socket. SiL has contacted the garage who did the original work and they've told him to show them the faulty parts and receipts and they'll work something out for him. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well they haven't been home for nearly a year. Took it for Mot and same rear brake started binding on the way and overheating. Seemed to free off and tester passed it. Noted it was a bit slow to release after brake test and suggested it cold be the flexible hose collapsed inside.ABS light was coming on intermittency as well. He doesn't do repairs and nobody local to them could (or wanted to) look at it for about a week. They were due to come to ours for a week, last Sunday. Son in law thought he'd have a go himself, with his dads help. They couldn't get a hose on Sunday, so I drove up to Halifax with a hose I'd bought from our local parts place. Drove the daughter and children back to Leicester, leaving them to fit the hose. Apparently stopped the binding but car still misbehaving with ABS light coming on and autobox changing down randomly.SiL decides to risk driving down to ours the next day. Suspected ABS sensor. Ordered one to be collected on Tuesday. Fitted it but no difference. Hmmm. Lad over the road put his fault code reader on it. Found a problem with the new sensor. Had another look and someone (might have been me!) had managed to connect it the wrong way round. Now seems to run quite well. Against my advice, he's had the aircon regassed. Man told him there's a leak and it could last an hour or last the summer. Ah well, they've spent less on it this year than last. They seem to like it, though really they need something bigger.