MGF: the shiter's choice of budget roadsters

djoptix

1 hour ago, Stinkwheel said:

On the subject of early F's - dont believe anyone who tells you that you cant change the gearbox with out totally removing the subframe, you can, its not exactly easy, but you can .

Shame about the rusty ness of yours djoptix, but it at least solves the what to do with it question

Yeah. TBH the tester also said that the spheres for the Hydragas are "knackered and about to explode" so that makes the choice really. Fixing the other stuff is fine and I could probably weld it myself, but I'm not about to throw another £500 at a set of refurbished spheres etc etc etc.

6 minutes ago, djoptix said:

Yeah. TBH the tester also said that the spheres for the Hydragas are "knackered and about to explode" so that makes the choice really. Fixing the other stuff is fine and I could probably weld it myself, but I'm not about to throw another £500 at a set of refurbished spheres etc etc etc.

I did the whole, nitrogen cyclinder and welded on spigots and fitted valves to regas mine, it was a hassle but well worth doing

7 hours ago, djoptix said:

I have heard that view from many people and frankly I think it's a bit unfair. It's a 1996 car FFS, the vast majority of 1996 cars have rusted away completely by now, never mind parts bin specials chucked out by a dying British manufacturer.

Compare it to its contemporary MX5s and MR2s. Good luck finding one of those that hasn't been massively welded to keep it on the road this far!

Yeah, the others are no better.

It's just that our '95 Metro seems to have been rust proofed in ways they'd just not bothered with on the MGF, plus everything I touched to fix was cheap, nasty and corroded to fuck. And I run enough other BL stuff to not be biased! 😉

I had a 220 Tomcat years ago, and that was similar in some ways - excellent idea / car spoilt by bits of under-development and cheap finishing.

1 minute ago, N Dentressangle said:

our '95 Metro seems to have been rust proofed in ways they'd just not bothered with on the MGF

Well that's good news, since I would like to find a Metro to drop this engine in :)

• Haha 1