It’s been to the moon, will it come back? No it’s fucked a month after purchase, great buy.

Tamworthbay

As everyone loves pics......

post-19712-0-79241100-1535897239_thumb.jpeg

Surprisingly clean for nearly a quarter of a million miles

post-19712-0-51288500-1535897293_thumb.jpeg

Three presets, that will be one for me, one for wifey and number 3 all the way back for takeaway pizza in the car.

post-19712-0-90245800-1535897352_thumb.jpeg

Fairly pointless dash pic.

post-19712-0-18139900-1535897387_thumb.jpeg

Yup there is a bit of space in the back

post-19712-0-75387900-1535897425_thumb.jpeg

SOS- side on Sunday

post-19712-0-66311800-1535897463_thumb.jpeg

And the not so nice LP bumper

Thanks to Richard’s kindness and Chaseracers superb delivery service I now have a rear load cover. It was exchanged in a not at all dodgy looking meet up at Waitrose In Lichfield. Needless to say the sight of a 20+ year old Volvo and a 205 with its sunroof sealed shut caused great concern amongst the Porsche Cayenne and X5 driving locals and after a long chat we parted company before the locals appeared with burning torches and pitchforks.

In other news I have in my hands a piece of the highest quality silver coloured carbon fibre (cough) sticker to cover up the worst of the rear bumper but it’s bloody raining so that will have to wait. A new pair of boot struts are also on their way so the present guillotine roulette that accompanies the opening of the rear end can be sorted.

And in more other news, the fuckwits that are carparts for less have still proved able to deliver a bottle of oil after 14 days. So the oil change is on hold again.

The rain stopped long enough for a first go at the back bumperpost-19712-0-18473100-1536418706_thumb.jpeg

Not bad for £2 of fake silver carbon. I have enough to do it better if the time/ inclination takes me. And being fake carbon it has instantly added another 30bhp.

I also looked at the load cover to see if I can knock something up to fix it and think I can so will have a go when I get a chance.

Google throws up various repair solutions if you need inspiration.

Thanks, it looks fairly simple, just a matter of how I do it. I have some seriously strong epoxy so tempted to try that as a simple first attempt, but also thinking of doing something like the metal ones on eBay as I think that is a more permanent solution.

We've added something like 60k to ours (1999 auto) in three years and it's been a satisfyingly good car. They're tough, simple and comfy over distances, although there are a couple of local B-roads which expose every failing in the suspension, so I try and avoid. The brief for whoever concocted the spring and damper ratings must have been something along the lines of, "make it handle 100 times better than what's gone before". Most of the time, the comfort is really good, not least because of fine seating.

Every few weeks I drive its successor, which could be argued would be better in every way other than material and component quality - but I'd take the 90s car almost every time given a free choice.

Recently the mid-2000s V70 needed a clutch sensor to make the engine run right - just the sort of electronic Chinese whispers bollocks we'd all be better without and what helps make the older, squarer cars both endearing and enduring.

Here's workhorse working hard last month,

post-4845-0-92865200-1536444130_thumb.jpg

(The only time it's ever 'broken down' is earlier this week on our way home from holiday when smoke started billowing in the mirror and economy plumetted - I guessed a leaking intercooler or failed TDi valve/sensor, so disconnected the MAF and everything improved).

Anyone have an intercooler going spare?

We've added something like 60k to ours (1999 auto) in three years and it's been a satisfyingly good car. They're tough, simple and comfy over distances, although there are a couple of local B-roads which expose every failing in the suspension, so I try and avoid. The brief for whoever concocted the spring and damper ratings must have been something along the lines of, "make it handle 100 times better than what's gone before". Most of the time, the comfort is really good, not least because of fine seating.

Every few weeks I drive its successor, which could be argued would be better in every way other than material and component quality - but I'd take the 90s car almost every time given a free choice.

Recently the mid-2000s V70 needed a clutch sensor to make the engine run right - just the sort of electronic Chinese whispers bollocks we'd all be better without and what helps make the older, squarer cars both endearing and enduring.

Here's workhorse working hard last month,

attachicon.giftmp-cam--74527622.jpg

(The only time it's ever 'broken down' is earlier this week on our way home from holiday when smoke started billowing in the mirror and economy plumetted - I guessed a leaking intercooler or failed TDi valve/sensor, so disconnected the MAF and everything improved).

Anyone have an intercooler going spare?

There are a couple being broken on the Volvo owners forum, so may be one there with luck.

Phew, that was close. Went out to lock up last night and thought I saw a reflection in the back of the V70. Went out to check and the boot light was on. As I had been messing about in the boot with the load cover and the bumper I can only imagine I caught it at some point but it had been on about 6 hours. Dropped the battery out this morning and put on charge, expensive all singing all dancing Black and Decker one I inherited is crap and has died despite being barely used, the cheapo one from Lidl is doing the job nicely. I have caught it in time thankfully as it wasn’t completely flat so will be ok with a few hours charge to top it back up. I would have been cursing tomorrow morning if I hadn’t spotted it, especially as I have lent my spare battery to a mate this weekend.

Anyone have any idea what these bits of trim would be called? They sit just behind the rear seats on the outside and don’t appear to do anything despite looking like seatbelt guides. Both are damaged so would like a new pair but tricky when you don’t know what to search for.post-19712-0-85894200-1536503890_thumb.jpeg

I think it's some kind of vent, and also a flexible link between the cabin and boot trims. Mine are also broken but still complete.

If you do go down the epoxy route with the luggage cover It'll need more tension than just rolling the blind up. You'll need to retract the blind, wind it up about five more turns, then clamp one side while you glue the cap on the other side. Once that's cured you can remove the clamp and glue the second cap on.

I think it's some kind of vent, and also a flexible link between the cabin and boot trims. Mine are also broken but still complete.

If you do go down the epoxy route with the luggage cover It'll need more tension than just rolling the blind up. You'll need to retract the blind, wind it up about five more turns, then clamp one side while you glue the cap on the other side. Once that's cured you can remove the clamp and glue the second cap on.

I did wonder about that, I was planning to sort the ends out then refit them but not sure how they were tensioned originally. How does the kit do it? Do you wind them around a few times to pretension then fit them into the end caps?

Phew, that was close... I would have been cursing tomorrow morning if I hadn’t spotted it, especially as I have lent my spare battery to a mate this weekend.

I've done that over a weekend and battery was as lively as ever, but it wasn't subzero. Volvo batteries feel like they're about 5% the mass of the car, though. Leave the cabin lights on by not fully closing a door however and the rudimentary electronics cut the power after an hour or less.

I've done that over a weekend and battery was as lively as ever, but it wasn't subzero. Volvo batteries feel like they're about 5% the mass of the car, though. Leave the cabin lights on by not fully closing a door however and the rudimentary electronics cut the power after an hour or less.

Isn't it just an 096 in these? The Phase 2 models do seem to have an enormous battery.

Thanks Richard, sadly I didn’t spot them last night and decided to have a go today during my lunch hour. Thanks to the link you had sent before I had a rough idea of what would be needed. I stripped the old bits out which was probably the hardest job. Sadly I didn’t have any 15mm tube but had some bar so made them out of that. The original had a stepped section so I recreated that. The plastic butterfly was knackered at each end so I trimmed a pop rivet and stuck them in sideways on. The standard of workmanship is far from my usual standard but I only had forty minutes so had to compromise. All went back together ok and I now have a working load cover! It’s a tighter fit in that before so I am wondering about making up some new nylon top hats to replace the rubber ones and making them shorter and angled to ease removal. Overall a very pleasing job and if anyone needs to do it give me a shout as it’s not hard.

post-19712-0-03722800-1536937654_thumb.jpgpost-19712-0-16302400-1536937674_thumb.jpgpost-19712-0-20190200-1536937702_thumb.jpgpost-19712-0-24063000-1536937742_thumb.jpgpost-19712-0-22152500-1536937770_thumb.jpgpost-19712-0-27927400-1536937804_thumb.jpg

Excellent, I'm glad it was of some use. Getting it to you involved slightly less effort on my part than binning it would have, so it's a win all round.

I had similar problems with the eBay one, which I cured by taking them out and filing them so they fitted all the way in to the end caps. You might not have spotted that they are slightly bent lengthways, that might help a bit too.

Excellent, I'm glad it was of some use. Getting it to you involved slightly less effort on my part than binning it would have, so it's a win all round.

I had similar problems with the eBay one, which I cured by taking them out and filing them so they fitted all the way in to the end caps. You might not have spotted that they are slightly bent lengthways, that might help a bit too.

Thanks again mate, it is pretty tight and was a sod to get back out. I ground off the inside strengthening ribs as they are no longer needed but think it is still marginally longer. No major problem just needs a little fettling. I found 6 turns was plenty starting from would all the way in. There is some tension on there and it’s easy to slip. I put small holes in the end so I could drop a screw in to hold the end caps on but think I will have to lose them as they sit very close to the glass. I need to rethink how to hold end caps on. Perhaps a dab of epoxy is the way to go. But it’s perfectly useable as is and for a grand total of a couple of beers to Chaseracer (I will buy you few beers when we meet up Richard). Fantastic result.

The drivers side rear door is sometimes harder to close than the others so had a fiddle this evening. Instead of 6 clips it has a grand total of 1, so with the wonder that is eBay 20 are on their way to me. Boot struts should go in tomorrow. Oil has finally arrived so will get that sorted but probably mid week next week as will do it on the lift after work to make life easier. After really losing my old car mojo over the summer I am back looking forward to doing stuff again.

Just ordered an eBay special cheapo Chinese stereo, complete with reversing camera and a 7” touch screen. With voucher it came out just under £30 to my door. The one in there is ok but cd is dodgy and I can stick shit loads of albums on a memory card and leave it in there.

post-19712-0-01317800-1537007044_thumb.jpgpost-19712-0-96408200-1537007070_thumb.jpg

New struts in place and my wife now struggles to close the boot lid so they are working well. The quality of fixings and design show through again and what could have been a ballache of a job was straightforward. The ones coming off were the original Volvo ones so they have lasted well. I got the replacements from a company called strutsdepot who were brilliant, a new pair were delivered the next day for the derisory sum of £16, bargain. The old ones are due to be recycled by the father in law who needs the rods to repair a 1920s lathe he has been messing with for a while.