Newspaper article: The Skoda Estelle at 40

strangeangel

I've owned several Estelles and a Rapid and enjoyed all of them,  actually preferring the basic simplicity of the swing axle equipped 105 more than the larger engined semi trailing arm varieties. On one very snowy day I had to attend a meeting at Stevenage. I was the only non-Stevenage person to make it - and it really wasn't a difficult drive. I drove past an uphill queue at some roadworks from a standing start because all of the other vehicles could not get enough traction to move.  I had J922PVC, a beige 135Ric (Rapid) at the time, now sadly SORNed by subsequent owner(s). Our director and the quality manager could not get their company BMW to move sensibly and gave up.

• Like 3

Nice read. Thanks for posting. I have always had a soft spot for the Rapid. I quite like the styling if them and it has often been said that it was the poor mans Porche!

Maybe someday..........

I borrowed one of these for a couple of weeks back in the mid 90s. It was a good car, great fun too. I must thank the commies for keeping it proper wheel drive, it's so much nicer to drive than fwd. I'd have another if the price hadn't gone up so much.

Looking at the second article on that page "The Pininfarina Jag XK120" 

Does anyone else think that Pininfarina ruined the XK120 with that design!

I think it's awful compared to the original