Aldi cutting and grinding discs and flap discs

stripped fred

Safety glasses with the yellow lenses work well for me, they seem to make the world a happier brighter place too. That said never underestimate the sheer cunning of a piece of wood/ metal/ plastic to ricochet off several things before doing a final bounce off the inside of the safety specs and into your damn eye.

That's exactly what happened to me nearly 30 years ago when cutting the rusty scuttle panel out of a Mk1 Fiesta. A lump of hot steel managed to bounce under the goggles and lodged in my eyeball. Had to go to the Glasgow Eye Hospital where they picked it out with needles while my head was clamped. Horrible experience. It also left what they called a rust ring on my eye which took ages to go away. Now I always wear Dewalt goggles which Screwfix sell for under a fiver and they are quite comfy.

/\ Did they not drill the rust ring out then?

Last time I got metal in the eyeball I picked it out with a needle as the magnet didn't work but I could still see the stain that was left, a quick trip to the hospital and it was drilled out, I was also wearing glasses but still managed to shoot my eye with fords rusty metal.

There was a vid doing the rounds for a while of a doctor wrestling to pull a 9 inch disc out of some poor bloke's face. Since seeing that, I always try and make sure my face is not on the same plane as the disc. I wear a face visor with ear muffs attached.

I confess to having lost the guard from mine and have the scars to show for it. The last time It caused me to spill blood, I fainted on the way to the house. A few years ago I was a no guard hero, now I'm a bit freaked out when I use it.

Plan is to get a battery one (with a guard).

I always wear PPE as well.

I have dropped the grinder fitted with a wire knot wheel on my (glasses and visor covered) face when on my back stripping underseal off a car before.

Years back I also got hit in the chest when cutting through the bulkhead on a mk1 XR2, using a 9" grinder with a diamond disc fitted.

That put the shits up me, but thankfully I was wearing a lot of layers! #youngandstupid

I went in my local Aldi on the offchance of finding some of the discs and wheels, but I guess that was last weeks offer - instead I came out with the bench grinder/belt sander thingy they do for 30quid.

+1 for PPE - I've put a notch in a finger from running the grinder without the guard, and could do without that amount of blood again, or the inconvenience of having to work one handed for some time afterwards. Fancy some of the safety glasses mentioned earlier too - I mostly have prescription specs on anyway, but not for really close work and increasingly that puts my eyes well within striking distance of something rotating dead fast. Doesn't bear thinking about...

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2