Henry Cortina 2000GXL vs Vauxshite Victor FD VX4/90 mag roadtest Jan 1972

JeeExEll

It's a Photoshop

FYX908J is a blue 1600, 1971 so so a mega early one.

Build quality of British cars was dreadful - hence the Japanese, Germans etc. A Cologne built Ford was always a lot better than a Dagenham one.

It was once described to me that the car was loosely put together by the manufacturer, and sent to a dealer.  The dealer then sold it and the customer and the dealer worked together to get it assembled properly and working.

That was a previous generation of cars mind.  I worked in China in 1991 and had a Chinese bicycle which was like that.  When collected, the first job was to take it to a man at the side of the road who worked through it, straigtened the wheels, tightened everything and generally sorted it out.  After that it worked ok but bits just constantly fell off like pedals and so on.  

I'd have bought the Cortina and would have slathered it with Waxoyl at the earliest possibility, which incidentally made its debut around the time the two cars in the article were thrown together. ;)

I'd have bought the Cortina and would have slathered it with Waxoyl at the earliest possibility, which incidentally made its debut around the time the two cars in the article were thrown together. ;)

If you were going to be buying Fords for preservation an RS1600 would probably have been about the same price.......