Good Friday - Crap Sunday

Renault18

I just feel the need at this moment in time to let off some steam.I said I wouldn't look at another old Renault - ever.Well I was kidding myself. A good mate of mine told me about a 1976 P plate Renault 16 TL Automatic that was advertised on the Autobase site a few weeks ago (and latterly in Prac'Classics), so I phoned about it. I had a good natter with the old guy who had placed the ad on behalf of his friend who had passed away. He gave me the phone number of the widow and after having gleaned a general picture of a potential purchase, I made all the arrangements to travel to Leicester to view.He phoned me the other night to check what time I'd be there and I checked directions. I also phoned the lady again on Friday and she confirmed that midmorning today would be fine.So I set off, as arranged quite early because of the bad weather. I tried to phone her just to confirm, but she was engaged, so i carried on, stopping to check final directions with the old guy just after getting off the M1.Whereupon he answered and said, "Oh I've just been trying to get you, a bloke from Wales came with a transporter YESTERDAY and took it, sorry, you'll have to turn round".Now, fair enough, I suppose I can see their viewpoint - the colour of money and all that - it's not so much that they sold the sodding thing, but YESTERDAY did give a little bit of time to call and say "Don't bother wasting expensive petrol coming now, as I've already acted like a twat and sold it."There, I feel much better now - I mean it's not that I even wanted it. Who would want a 1976 R16 in unspoilt pale metallic blue with an immaculate tan cloth interior, no rot, only 48k and full history :(:(:?: And don't tell me that the R18TL on Ebay would do, cos it's the shiteist I've seen in a while :(

Thats a bit of a bugger.What can you learn from the situation? Dunno, but have a think about it & I'm sure you'll come up with something.My mum went through a phase of wanting one of these after seeing a range-topping gold 16 automatic for sale at a petrol station in Edinburgh. This was back in 1990 so its no longer there now, but it was truly a beautiful car.

I think I would have burst into tears and would still be crying now, many hours later. That would have been my ultimate dream turned into horrible nightmare. Pale met blue being my fave colour of R16 as well. And in Leicester of all places! I don't know anyone who's seen an R16 on the road in Leicester ever, myself included, presume it had no MOT?Seeing as it's now gone, what was the approx price they wanted?

I've had similar happen to me before, but the car was being sold as I drove up to their house! They didn't have the decency to contact me to say they were selling it to someone else despite me arranging the day before to buy it. At least it wasn't something as rare and interesting as a 16 though. I feel your pain. :(

I did that to a workmate :oops: He kept promising to get the car and bring the cash. after a month sold it to someone else. 1 hour later who should turn up with the money in hand. Really quite embarrasing.

Was asking £750It would seem that in the current market for a R16, £750 buys something that can be swept up and stored in bin liners.Thus, you can imagine me being marginally dis-chuffed at missing what was a possible minter. :cry:

Yes I can imagine you'd be rather pissed off at that.I suppose you can just about understand them selling it, whoever gets there first with the money and all that.But its the total lack of courtesy in letting you know and saving you wasting a day and petrol thats the annoying thng.Saw it in PC myself, did look like something of a bargain!

Funnily enough, I had a similar thing happen a few years back, and the car in question was a Renault 16 TX Auto!I spotted on in the freeads, went to look at it, and took a 'mate' with me who had restored one previously. The car was basically free, and had been stored for years. Anyway I told the owner i would have it, and that i just needed to sort out some storage. The owner said he was happy to wait, as it had been in the garage for 8 years, a couple more weeks wont matter..2 weeks later I call them to arrange collection, only to call at the exact moment my 'Mate' is dragging it out of their garage to have it for himself!As it turns out the car was a nightmare... :twisted:

I suppose you can just about understand them selling it, whoever gets there first with the money and all that.!

I did that on Sunday - parted out the Kwak, had three people all coming to look at it, first bloke bought it, phoned the other two to let them know (had already told them there were others coming to see) but third one still turned up with car & trailer to take it away :roll: Expected me to go back on first deal & sell it to him - Plank

I once took a trip down to Hastings to see a very early Datsun 100A, with the desire to buy the car and drive it back up. Once I got a train down there, the owner changed her mind and decided to keep the car. 6 months later the car had been abandoned and vandalised, and then the council in their wisdom damaged the car while lifting it away.

I've been fortunate to have dealt with decent people who kept their word when making shite purchases (one of them being Mouseflakes/Tim) so haven't had any problems in that respect. Although the Panda I got as my first car was being sold by somebody so laid back that he hadn't even arrived home yet, but said "Go into the garage, the key is under the mat, take a look at the car & have a drive around in it if you like, I'll be back shortly." Mind you, it was only a £145 rusty MkI metal grille jobbie! God rest it's soul! :DBut my point is, with that kind of relaxed attitude, he probably would have been the sort to let it go to whoever turned up first.Both my moderns were bought from dealers who took deposits or 'holding fees' so no danger there, in theory. :wink:

I've been alright so far. Everyone I've bought cars off has been very obliging.Mira - Agreed to MOT it for an extra £40 without me going down to see it, then held onto it for a week after viewing so I could get the cash together and insurance sorted.Cuore - Passed over to me via MSN (!) and agreed to wait 2 months whilst I got the money together, then held onto it for over a week whilst the recovery truck came.Charmant - Contacted me directly via Email and I agreed to buy from him there and then, didn't even offer it to anyone else! Few weeks later I was driving it back.Galant - Agreed to wait whilst I sorted out storage.323 - Sent a cheque deposit and held onto it whilst I sorted out the recovery truck, who paid him. Didn't even get to see that one before buying it!Awkward sod aren't I? I'm not quite sure why they put up with me. Perhaps I sound trustworthy or something.