Cars that really were a stand out move

Urko

6 hours ago, artdjones said:

That's not completely true, because the rear suspension of the 205 rear suspension is transverse torsion bars, and completely different from the Visa and 104, which used rear coil spring struts. The front suspension on them all was generic McPherson strut.

The 104 etc. handled well, but the 205 is on a different level.

Although, to bring it full circle - and I didn't know this, I was just reading the Oltcit story on Citroenet - and guess where those torsion bars originated! The Oltcit Axel's torsion bar suspension.

" The rear sub frame was also redesigned (the original eventually found its way into the Peugeot 205 and 405, Citroën BX, etc.)"

6 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

You’d think. My history teacher in Secondary School was Mr Mathews, he was a walking skeleton and because kids are cunts we called him Boney M.  He was a survivor of The Burma Railway and drove just about the only Japanese car in our small Welsh town, a purple Mazda 818.

He never mentioned the war and because of the curriculum wasted his time trying to get us to be interested in seed drills and prison reform.

Given my experience with teachers, I would not be surprised if he had no idea where it was made. 

Most of them I've met seem to have a wealth of knowledge in 1 subject and absolutely no clue about anything else.

But I'm sure there are plenty of worldly wise savvy ones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/08/2024 at 09:08, NorfolkNWeigh said:

You’d think. My history teacher in Secondary School was Mr Mathews, he was a walking skeleton and because kids are cunts we called him Boney M.  He was a survivor of The Burma Railway and drove just about the only Japanese car in our small Welsh town, a purple Mazda 818.

He never mentioned the war and because of the curriculum wasted his time trying to get us to be interested in seed drills and prison reform.

My Secondary school Head Teacher never mentioned the war...

On 10/08/2024 at 15:36, Eyersey1234 said:

Liked for the fact he survived the Burma Railway. I'm surprised he drove a Japanese car to be honest given what they had done to him

however it turned* out he survived the Burma Railway and any Japanese or indeed Asian pupils that needed to be disciplined were passed on to  the Deputy Head as he couldn't trust himself to be fair,

He couldn't drive and didn't have a car so sorry for thread drift!

*information from teachers at the school.

• Like 1

The Citroen C4 Coupe VTS never caught on and has never been popular on here with anyone apart from me and @Daviemck2006 whose old VTS I still have on SORN.

42112234_306306460201570_7641911026071926343_n.jpg.aedf864cf323bb5672e3b84624a65a87.jpg

They really deserved to be a Stand Out Move just from how they looked both inside and outside. They were advertised as "Alive with Technology"

I've owned three of them and think they are so underated as a quirky Citroen, check out the rear with a vertical and almost horizontal rear window, that mad spoiler the chevrons making the front grill, huge clap hands wipers and directional Xenon lights . Go inside and you have the fixed hub steering wheel that keeps controls where you want them and the air bag in the best optimal position, central backlit digital speedo, digital tacho that changes to red at the rev limit

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrC3QpoFZ0h/?hl=en

There is a button on the wheel to change the air intake to recirculate for the Dartford tunnel and one to blank the five light up screens at night. The shapes and textures inside are modern and inovative with abstract textures and Art Deco style touches to the door cards.

It is a shame Citroen didn't put a more powerful engine than the 180bhp EW10J4S

c4-4g.jpg.414411e37a1b86e191979982c9e82537.jpg

which has to be revved hard to make it move. It deserved to be a great hot hatch given the rally championship wins with Loeb. They did the Loeb version which was really just a trim option in red or black. It also came with a Diseasel, but as I've never owned any diesel car I don't know much about it.

They are pretty rare as each ebay seller points out...

VTS 180 petrol

VTS180.jpg.b937823458b85d18d17b788c0f989121.jpg

VTS HDI diseasel

VTSHDI.jpg.a940d60884e2c854717eb028865a6930.jpg

It's probably clear from the above that I love them and don't understand why they aren't highly regarded especially on a forum for Shite cars!

Want one?

s-l1600.webp

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395584056590?itmmeta=01J56PX3HST4JCJ4ZVBVNZXAC4&hash=item5c1aa5ad0e:g:t5MAAOSwZpJmtPxH&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKmvBwaOuAQa6cjkM2iY8iDsZkT0Wh5QERP8Kryg1GzdSfjh3W4leC8wuc9WNH8YkSRdAsePEEquQjckBmEc5YVDsSvbIJfhsBkXwWpQkAA3AQRcsMBCKhaVXwRDSzRg75a3kQYU4kVWxos9lHYMT%2FF1Upjk0jdUaMT3d1woGI4eDlA5%2BVTyjvb7jsxLftK4dguxkABmQSkKeT12jX5NENr559GfThczTs7Qiywh14R1E1X9Zdh2A3zlfdHMnxzyy4MCL0GUFD8JbWZt6u58NCv1yGEZIgZ6TrshkZN0PKdOAQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_q49NapZA