Grizz’s OCD Awesome ASTRO Van 🚙 Megane SCENIC 1.5dci 🚙 Peugeot 206 CC 🐸 ROFFLE 🐸 Jeep up for grabs too.🚨

grizz

One of yesterday’s tasks was to try open the Peugeot 206 CC bootlid/trunk

Amazingly patient guidance from Eddie Honda on thedarkwob saw me continue to fail. 

Three hours, yes really….. 3 hours in total spent trying to get mechanisms addresses. Failed. 

I have to admit that since getting the car home in November, it has done less than 2 miles, being surplus to my needs. 

So I actually never even opened the roof, it was WINTER after all. 

I am also petrified of opening the roof partially or something like that and getting it stuck only for the weather to change and it to become a big green bucket. 

Removing the passenger side rear seat back allows you to get a hand, pokey stick or eyeball through the hole. 

But not all three or even two at a time. 

Space in the rear is also tight and limited access unless you are a contortionist or masochist or both. 

So in preparation for this event I made up a pokey stick with a 90’ hook and LED light at the end. 

EF6D1528-178A-40D3-8422-BE3401B5953D.jpe

Overall, this was the battlefield. 

Trust me…….

It was not fun. 

D5DAA869-D1BC-49AC-B4FD-B3694C3DDA1A.jpe

16EEC47B-1D79-4D20-AC60-F6D59D34B4E6.jpe

D4D9E9A7-DC95-4B8B-A596-209DBB0C530A.jpe

04A4689E-A1BC-4BCA-A84B-F2545B2DF267.jpe

I may try access it all again some time today.

Fooling the roof mechanism into believing it is safe to open may be the way to get access to the rear. Though I don’t really know what to do after it opens halfway. 

In the mean time the garage and sorting out all of that stuff means I have enough excuses to not get started either. 

We will see. 

38 minutes ago, Westbay said:

206 boot did you try this one ? remote support difficult without video ! 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E56A-sHzIM

The other options "cut a hole behind numberplate etc" seem very drastic !

Brilliantly done video. 

Mine is different. 

Hopefully I will get it right 

1 minute ago, grizz said:

Brilliantly done video. 

Mine is different. 

Hopefully I will get it right 

🤞

Copied from a 206CC forum group written by the guy with the problem. 

QUESTION 

Any good ideas out there-I can't open the boot!

It should be easy, just unlock the car, put the key in the boot lock and turn to the left-but it doesn't work!

The problem is that the little bit of wire which connects the lock to the operating switch which is marginal in length at best and has probably bent a little so it won't make contact. If I turn the key any harder I will break the key off!

Next I tried accessing the boot by opening the roof. Yes, you're right, the cover in the boot is rolled up so the roof will not open and I can't open the boot to pull the cover over!

What about opening the roof manually. Well the key to switch to manual is in the boot!

You can't access the boot via the back seats because behind them is solid metal.

My local main dealer had a go - and failed miserably! They think the only solution is to drill out the boot lock, operate the connecting wire manually through the hole and then refit a new lock. For this little job they want to charge nearly £300! Apart from the cost there is nothing wrong with the lock itself and I don't want to destroy a perfectly good lock. 

Anyone know a good car thief who can open it without damaging the bodywork?

ANSWER 

Hooray - I'm in! Thanks for the steer Ron.

For anyone else who comes up with the same problem the procedure is:

1. Remove rear seats buy undoing the 4 10mm nuts holding them. It helps to have a long socket but an open ended spanner will do.

2. There is a 4" square access panel behind each seat. Inside the car and facing the rear (very cramped!) the right hand one is covered only by some boot lining which can be pushed out of the way.

3. With the help of a good torch the micro switch for the roof boot blind is visible on the far side of the boot out of reach even if you have a long arm! The micro switch for the roof needs to be pushed down to open the roof so I made up a 'special tool'. This consisted of 36" length of 1/2" square wood with a small nail in the end stick out at a right angle by about 1/2". The nail was too thin to push the switch down so I wrapped insulating tape round it until it was about 1/4" diameter. I then poked the rod through the access hole and hooked it into the boot blind catch to operate the microswitch. 

4. Ignition on and the roof then was able to fold back. When the boot had hinged back I stopped the operation and removed the boot trim. The boot lock can then be opened by hand from the inside.

5. The roof can then be closed again and the boot opened with the key as normal.

It may be a bit fiddly but its better than spending £300 with a dealer and waiting 2 weeks for a new lock!

By the way, in the short term, in order to prevent the problem happening again I removed the short wire that goes from the lock to the central locking actuator which I left in the open position. The boot lock now continues to work perfectly but has to be locked and unlocked using the key. As you have to use the key anyway after the central locking has been on I can see very little problem in continuing to do this. Isn't technology wonderful - sometimes!

Will try again when the rain is gone. 

Quick wrap up of yesterday in the garage. 

More parts moved about, sorted, shelves liberated. 

Found stuff I forgot I even had. 

Adventure beckons. 

28546CBF-715C-49A6-ACDC-3F421D485362.jpe

83FFD487-BA18-4FA5-B551-E1E80E1D30CA.jpe

B8F4C78F-0D91-42FD-89A4-18D0E3C06777.jpe

Looking into this space, it is much better than before. 

4380795F-9C63-4D39-A757-DA816D77DC8D.jpe

And the most rewarding part of the whole day…..?

A quick fix. 

A special gas pedal for the C10 

A nod from Andy in Oklahoma to my safety shoes, (flip flops) 

After polishing off the excess paint……..

BOOOOM !!! 

I like it. 

5B99FF2D-4C76-4300-9E5C-51B0B0CF53D8.jpe

Friday night. 

Chicken curry with Peshwari Naan. 

Life really is good. 

• Like 2

Rubbish nigh sleeping (well, not sleeping really) 

But waking at 04.00 my head was already in the garage. 

Know what I mean? 

IMG_1711.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

I guess sometimes a single PowerPoint slide can sum up a lot. 

Case:  

IMG_1712_nL1u6DTKSRF4wNuP3WMeXa.jpeg?wid

But often we don’t see what else happens in the dark. 

The black dog manifests itself in so many ways. 

Not a case of black and white. 

Still……..

We all progress. 

Some of it less than others. 

But it’s progress. 

So right now it seems like I need to unfurl my spinnaker while the wind blows through my head. 

IMG_1716.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Maybe it’s just because life is actually so good.  

Time for another cuppa tea and some toast. 

Then wash the green car………

Got a viewing tomorrow. 

IMG_1708.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Would be nice to regain the space. 

• Like 2

i get that exactly mr grizz, in fact today is my last day working at the large faceless blue supermarket. and next week i start working with a growing, family buisness. that established almost 30 years ago, but im currently still wondering if its the right choice - the blue place is nearer, the work there is sometimes heavy but mostly doable with closed eyes - its downfall is leaving me far too much time in my own head. we all need new challenges, and im more than ready for them. hoping to get more mojo from the new place too, as i will have normal workday hours not the silly 14.00 22.00 nonsense. you just cant motivate to do anything big as you have to stop and get ready for work before you get any real progress achieved. 

excellent progress again, i managed a couple hours in the garden on tuesday but nowhere near what you did!

did the boot lock fishing prove fruitful?

It's strange how when even things are  going well we worry, I am taking redundancy / early retirement in a months time,  good pay off, decent pension but after 36 years with the same company  Iv'e still not got my head around the idea,  I'm begining to get there and my Daughter has just bought a house so I'm going to keep more than busy and it has given me something to focus on which will help. 

As you say just need to keep reminding myself lifes good.

• Like 2

I’ve recently turned down a ‘voluntary severance’ offer in work and the chaos and emotional upheaval since has made me massively regret my decision. 
I’m mid fifties and the offer wasn’t enough to prohibit the need to find another job but I wish I’d considered it more before turning it down. 

2 minutes ago, Bazfr69 said:

I’ve recently turned down a ‘voluntary severance’ offer in work and the chaos and emotional upheaval since has made me massively regret my decision. 
I’m mid fifties and the offer wasn’t enough to prohibit the need to find another job but I wish I’d considered it more before turning it down. 

Try asking again? My lot are desperate to shift us long in the tooth guys out so they're always reminding us of the availability of said offers.

49 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Try asking again? My lot are desperate to shift us long in the tooth guys out so they're always reminding us of the availability of said offers.

It was a time sensitive offer unfortunately. We’re a very large organisation and don’t get any kind of leeway with national level stuff like this. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bazfr69 said:

It was a time sensitive offer unfortunately. We’re a very large organisation and don’t get any kind of leeway with national level stuff like this. 

cant hurt to ask if it could still be a possible option after having some time to ponder the idea?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SilverMachine said:

cant hurt to ask if it could still be a possible option after having some time to ponder the idea?

If it was a site decision I’d agree but there’s no flexibility with a companywide deadline. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bazfr69 said:

If it was a site decision I’d agree but there’s no flexibility with a companywide deadline. 

Have you tried asking?

Specifically someone you can “trust” to actually ask the question on your behalf?

Of course you know your industry and company best but sometimes they will play nice. 

The company that made me redundant actually paid my bonus put, in advance for time after my date, I was the only account that was still showing growth vs national. 

• Like 3

I appreciate the thought chaps but you’ll have to trust me when I say the window has well and truly closed, for now at least. 

The only other person trained to do my job is going, something I didn’t know for certain until it was too late for consideration. 

45 minutes ago, Bazfr69 said:

I appreciate the thought chaps but you’ll have to trust me when I say the window has well and truly closed, for now at least. 

The only other person trained to do my job is going, something I didn’t know for certain until it was too late for consideration. 

So hang in there for now. 

Life is good, even when it feels a bit shit. 

Maybe you will have a better opportunity next. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grizz said:

So hang in there for now. 

Life is good, even when it feels a bit shit. 

Maybe you will have a better opportunity next. 

Oh I’m grand, thank you. I’m well versed in just getting on with things by this point. 
Just thinking about possibilities.

Feeling good, had to go out for some things and my motor always puts me in good spirits. 😊

• Like 2

Amazed nobody threw a wobbly while waiting for more. 

Maybe a longer hiatus between reports is appropriate. 

Summer or spring must be coming in fast.

Rapeseed canola is flowering already. 

George is over grooming and has been out of sorts the last week, today I found some

Frothy spit and grass, assuming he is trying to get a hairball out. 

But certainly out of sorts. 

IMG_1703.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

As I am now actively starting to think about the C10 and what needs doing, I am noticing how much prices have increased. 

My speedo and instrument cluster was broken to hell when I got the truck.

So I bought and imported one that should be able to be combined with mine to make a good one. 

Prices. 

IMG_1700.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_1701.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Anyway

Yesterday was a massive milestone and for the first time in 7 years, the chassis rolled out   

FD272DD9-B575-4D29-9A77-C40C3694687C.jpe

452E6D77-D74C-433E-8E91-20F15B65836C.jpe

We also had the Google Earth Camera car in attendance, filming the proceedings. 

9A137C96-8685-4B12-894D-890799CFB459.jpe

When I had moved all the parts that had been removed from the truck and stored next to it down the side of the wall and truck I moved the chassis back in. 

83D2D66F-BA26-42DF-BA51-DB6F40ACCFC2.jpe

Pretty pleased with that

You all better be as well. 

And

Make some Noise !!!! 

Spoiling you all.

Giving too many reports.

Spring is on its way.

Cleaning stuff is part of the rhythm.

On Friday I swept the driveway and cleared the gutter outside the house.

Unfortunately I have weeks of flowing water down the street because maintenance is not done as it used to be.

So ditches, drains and outflows are blocked and water flows down the road.

Resulting in the road gravel being sprayed onto the sidewalk.

I put a lot of it into the garden bed next to the driveway.

DE2DD869-4D0E-4F3D-8237-3CFA5C7E704B.jpe

Looks better, tidy, clean.

02382A68-B159-4216-AC06-C216186F3BD6.jpe 5AD6613F-0FA7-4811-9CA7-FD2919955855.jpe B5BEE055-CD02-43F7-A605-24743D8FBC12.jpe D2F1D74A-B3F4-4601-8DB2-A1BED5A86AE4.jpe

I cleaned cars today.

Cleanliness is next to godliness irc.

Green car being viewed tomorrow.

Rezin Rockit will be more actively pushed for sale.

This should liberate some space.

Lets hope ehhh.

Progress. 

Dusty. Sawdusty. 

640E45AD-A0CC-454B-9E14-4B1F2FA8AE08.jpe

Person * who was coming to view the green car at 11.00 called at 11.00 to say he is delayed due to flat wheel, I asked how long he would be, 30 minutes he replied. I think he is lying.

I had come in and changed out of my garage clothes. 

But I had a coffee at least. 

Time wasters. 

Speaking of which…….

Fokken Romanians. (Yes I know where he is  from, also not first or second idiot who refuses to read and understand an advertisement thinking itd a reality TV show)!

How much is radio? 

I send pic of ad he responded to. 

He replies 20?

I reply 30!

He says no thanks. 

Time wasters. 

Saying that, the majority of buyers are good as gold. 

Just for some reason, electronics attract numb nuts.  

68C21432-E300-4BA7-92C6-3D4A5B02A19A.jpe

Admit it……..

You are still grinning at my irritation. 

Back to work till the car guy arrives. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i have that same stereo sat in a box, had it in the focus, then the fusion. not a bad unit, i used it mainly for playing mp3 music from usb sticks, but now the fusion has a sony unit in it, (which the mrs prefers i think because of blue teeth or something) but yes the jvc aint a bad unit hence me keeping it as a spare! the cars have all come up nice, even the woody has had a good rub over! do you have any preferred special car wash juices? i normally get whats on speshal offer.... the pug looks very tidy and rust free too

I’m really pleased that you are getting on with sorting your garage and restarting the pickup project.

My own garage has become a proper dumping ground for ‘stuff’. It frustrates me enormously and makes any job 10 times harder, yet I seem totally unable to motivate myself to sort it out.

I’ve spent the past few months clearing my late mate’s garage and selling off his gear for his widow. It’s been really tough, especially dealing with the ‘special’ types that reply to adverts. I can’t bring myself to sort my own stuff even though in the long term it will improve my life enormously.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

I’m really pleased that you are getting on with sorting your garage and restarting the pickup project.

My own garage has become a proper dumping ground for ‘stuff’. It frustrates me enormously and makes any job 10 times harder, yet I seem totally unable to motivate myself to sort it out.

I’ve spent the past few months clearing my late mate’s garage and selling off his gear for his widow. It’s been really tough, especially dealing with the ‘special’ types that reply to adverts. I can’t bring myself to sort my own stuff even though in the long term it will improve my life enormously.

I cannot imagine the “pleasure” of dealing with any estate, let alone a friend’s. 

So my reply here is a copy and paste from another forum where one guy asked a question and another answered, but then I replied to both separately. 

Unlikeley it will make you rust out to your garage but may help bring some perspective. 

The other thing to add is that I am 4 weeks into clearing my garage and junk. I put a load of MX5 spares out on the driveway earlier in the hope someone else will take them. I hate wasting. 
So to again add to this very long response, I am now the proud owner of about 1400 of the Queens faces,?generated by junk. Cash is zero motivation for anyone who is not in the right place but if you start gently, you could build up and end up roaring like a lion. 
Make sense?

So. Bakerlonglegs asked me this. 

Always good to read the updates on here, make me smile. Pleased to hear you’ve got your mojo back. I started reading this thread because the C10 and I were borne in the same year. Lovely to see it rolled out. Such a shame that you will put so much effort, money, and time into it only to hate it. You may have explained your thinking on this earlier in the thread but if you’ll go from ‘no emotion’ to ‘hate’ with the C10 and ‘don’t care’ on the GS, why don’t you stick them both on eBay as-is and get rid?? Life’s too short for ‘hate’ and ‘don’t care’, buy something you like.

My response was: 

There is no short or easy answer. 
61 years of experience shapes the way you see and deal with things. 
I rarely don’t finish things and these are part of that. 
Maybe I also overthink things and talk too much. 
If I didn’t write up this thread, nobody would be any wiser. 

I upgraded to the 1200 GS for Nicola from an F650GS Dakar. The original black and white version. And ideally it would be great to have a 650GS with 21” wheel and kitted out in its place. All I need. 

As for “hating “ the C10 by the end…… Bubb has a very valid point. I will address in a minute. 

33 years ago just before I left my job as a ward manager on an acute schizophrenia admission ward, I restored a 63 VW Beetle. 
The bulk of the work was done over three weeks, 7 days a week and 12 hours per day. Absolutely zero break or rest. 
By the time I got to attach the rear bumper, I had had enough of it. 

Sold for a decent profit without ever enjoying it. 

The C10 will look as good as this when I am done with it. 

That’s the way I do shit. Unfortunately. 

Pics below.

IMG_9254.jpeg

IMG_9253.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Then Bubb responded to the question. 

Trouble is, the c10 isn’t worth a great deal in a stripped down fashion…..once back together and driving, the price will massively increase….
So worth putting it back together, and getting it up n running, even if it’s only to then sell it on.

Or that’s how I see it…I could be wrong though

And my reply was. 

100% 

Problem with this is exactly that. 

There has been a huge increase in value simce I bought it. 

Original price was £8000.00
Today the same truck would be around £13000.00 
Parts purchased pre-brexit, at a great exchange rate around £1.00 to $1.65 and brought in in ways to save money 😉 means I have probably around £4000.00 already spent and sitting on shelves. 

As you say @Bubb

Nobody is going to give me what I have in it. 

Optimistically £5000.00 would be lucky. 

BUT……..

For the sake of others’ understanding…….. 

If I finished it to s high standard, like the Beetle above, it would probably be an £18000.00 to £24000.00 truck. 

Depending on the way the wind blows on any given day. 

It will be a lot of work to realise that money. 

But the Mojo benefits are massively underrated. 

And the kettle is always on

PS.

Of course I could fall in love with that lumpy cam I built into it when rebuilding the engine, the 2.5 inch Flownaster exhausts or running it through 3 inch cutouts.

Or thr gleaming red paint, knowing that I built it and every nut and bolt went through my hands.

Not sure any of this helps  

But bite sized chunks, when you are ready  

1 hour ago, grizz said:

I cannot imagine the “pleasure” of dealing with any estate, let alone a friend’s. 

So my reply here is a copy and paste from another forum where one guy asked a question and another answered, but then I replied to both separately. 

Unlikeley it will make you rust out to your garage but may help bring some perspective. 

The other thing to add is that I am 4 weeks into clearing my garage and junk. I put a load of MX5 spares out on the driveway earlier in the hope someone else will take them. I hate wasting. 
So to again add to this very long response, I am now the proud owner of about 1400 of the Queens faces,?generated by junk. Cash is zero motivation for anyone who is not in the right place but if you start gently, you could build up and end up roaring like a lion. 
Make sense?

So. Bakerlonglegs asked me this. 

Always good to read the updates on here, make me smile. Pleased to hear you’ve got your mojo back. I started reading this thread because the C10 and I were borne in the same year. Lovely to see it rolled out. Such a shame that you will put so much effort, money, and time into it only to hate it. You may have explained your thinking on this earlier in the thread but if you’ll go from ‘no emotion’ to ‘hate’ with the C10 and ‘don’t care’ on the GS, why don’t you stick them both on eBay as-is and get rid?? Life’s too short for ‘hate’ and ‘don’t care’, buy something you like.

My response was: 

There is no short or easy answer. 
61 years of experience shapes the way you see and deal with things. 
I rarely don’t finish things and these are part of that. 
Maybe I also overthink things and talk too much. 
If I didn’t write up this thread, nobody would be any wiser. 

I upgraded to the 1200 GS for Nicola from an F650GS Dakar. The original black and white version. And ideally it would be great to have a 650GS with 21” wheel and kitted out in its place. All I need. 

As for “hating “ the C10 by the end…… Bubb has a very valid point. I will address in a minute. 

33 years ago just before I left my job as a ward manager on an acute schizophrenia admission ward, I restored a 63 VW Beetle. 
The bulk of the work was done over three weeks, 7 days a week and 12 hours per day. Absolutely zero break or rest. 
By the time I got to attach the rear bumper, I had had enough of it. 

Sold for a decent profit without ever enjoying it. 

The C10 will look as good as this when I am done with it. 

That’s the way I do shit. Unfortunately. 

Pics below.

IMG_9254.jpeg

IMG_9253.jpeg

My word that Beetle is lovely. 😎

21 minutes ago, Bazfr69 said:

Thank you. 

Done about 33 years ago 

Before internet and mobile phones  

I was mentored by a very high end body guy on the phone. 

When I was done with it (interior was completely reupholstered as well) I drove it to hid shop where he did mainly BMW, Porsche, Mercedes Benz pre delivery finishes and accident repairs. 
He was stunned that I had managed to get that finish and a colour change done with zero previous experience. 
It was absolutely beautiful. Cost R1000 at the tome, sold for R4500 after restoration. 

It was a good job. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bazfr69 said:

PS. 

I actually painted it right there on the sidewalk with a small home built compressor. 

Did my cousins Suzuki 850GS shaft’s panels in two pack metallic blue.  Came out stunning. 

• Like 3