A bit of shite - Range Rover from HMC

horriblemercedes

@dollywobbler has used a place just outside the Merry Hill centre a couple of times in his vids I believe and quality of work looks good,

I believe its https://dftrautomotive.co.uk/ but you'd need to check vids to confirm

I used a place just up the road from me for some welding on my old Jeep. Seemed to be a good job.~
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5256715,-2.112462,3a,75y,23.15h,87.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suf94qs4-5IfjaUblrKsWQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Gornal way.

42 minutes ago, gadgetgricey said:

@dollywobbler has used a place just outside the Merry Hill centre a couple of times in his vids I believe and quality of work looks good,

I believe its https://dftrautomotive.co.uk/ but you'd need to check vids to confirm

I used a place just up the road from me for some welding on my old Jeep. Seemed to be a good job.~
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5256715,-2.112462,3a,75y,23.15h,87.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suf94qs4-5IfjaUblrKsWQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Gornal way.

Thank you! I'll get in touch with a few and go from there. Luckily it's not an urgent issue but better to do it sooner than later 

• 1 year later...

It's a 1995 Jaguar XJ6 which is incongruous through being manual and pretty much completely rust-free. It really doesn't seem to have ever been welded. The arches are spotless (ok, a little surface rust at the bottom of the rear arches but it is very, very minor spots of it).

So far, it has been totally faultless. A truly excellent car. It's the baby 3.2 and it's not manual because it's an enthusiast car - it's just base spec. No air conditioning, no cruise control, no sunroof (thank god). I drove it throughout September as a daily. Took it from where I live in Leicestershire to Edinburgh for a weekend, took it to Essex to go on a date with a nice girl (she was not impressed with this car).

It feels very me. I really like it. I bought it thinking that the rust-free shell and manual gearbox would be perfect for a manual XJR project, but it's too good for that. I won't be breaking this car up.

Unfortunately it's simply too long for my garage so here it is in my dad's garage. It'll stay there until spring. I put it in my garage and there was still a foot of car hanging out the front. The flag badge on the bootlid is going too. I can't stand that. I just need to get round to getting some fishing line to cut it off and a toffee wheel to scrape the glue residue off.

PXL_20230928_181313329 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20230928_181317091.MP (Medium).jpg

PXL_20230928_211922191 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20231005_184842407 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20231005_184849457 (Medium).jpg

Oh, I forgot this. My friend who was helping me move house insisted that we go to get the car. So we did. Best influence ever!

Anyway, as soon as I test drove it (we left his brand new Porsche Taycan as a deposit), I knew I had to have this XJ6. But there wasn't much petrol in it. So I drove away from the seller's house, which was near Sheffield. We stopped at the first petrol station we saw and I pulled up behind a Jaguar XK8. The guy was filling up his XK8 and took a look and then a double take. He came over and said, "that's Paul's car! Paul Guinness.". I explained I had had the car for about ten minutes and knew nothing about it. Here is a picture of that encounter. I'm on the left:

IMG-20230828-WA0004.jpg

Later I found a business card for Paul Guinness in the glovebox along with a Jimmy Savile tape. But let's not dwell on the Savile thing!

35 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

toffee wheel to scrape the glue residue off.

There is another way...

IMG-20230806-WA0001.jpg.563835b2a245b0d2dbc2200e51ccc46e.jpg

No I'm not pulling your leg.

Saw this being used by a YouTuber (Jimmy Oakes iirc). Whack one in a drill, obvs valve end in chuck.

I tried it, removes that horrible sticky foam shite you get with badges and stick on trims with ease!

1 hour ago, Schaefft said:

I didn't know you could get an XJ without AC. Must be a great car with a manual, an XJR with one is still fairly high on the want list.

I don't think I knew it. It definitely never had AC though - there simply isn't a button for it. There is plastic where the button would be.

In the back window, there is a dealer sticker reading 'Stratstone of Mayfair' and the keyring is 'Stratstone of Mayfair' too. So I do wonder if the first owner was long term and it lived in an underground garage somewhere posh in London and rarely came out.

12 hours ago, JMotor said:

There is another way...

Saw this being used by a YouTuber (Jimmy Oakes iirc). Whack one in a drill, obvs valve end in chuck.

I tried it, removes that horrible sticky foam shite you get with badges and stick on trims with ease!

Probably works by getting enough heat into the metal to melt the glue. 

12 hours ago, JMotor said:

There is another way...

Thanks, I could give that a go! The only thing is my neighbour has already offered his toffee wheel and I don't have any tyre valves

Just now, N Dentressangle said:

Like the XJ6 a lot.

Especially nice to have found one without a leaper, and just the naff badge to remove - I find a hairdryer gives enough heat to melt the glue on that kind of thing enough to allow it to be pulled off, then the glue residue removed with white spirit / thinners.

Thanks - I hate the leaper enough that I wouldn't have bought it. At least the badge just takes a few minutes 

It does have two other badges in the glovebox - AA and Institute of Advanced Motorist grille badges.

Also I need to make the front a bit higher - it is quite low. I've dug up the history on Retro Rides and it seems the previous owner "hit it with the lowering stick". The front has adjustable coilovers so I need to adjust them up. Still, for winter it can stay in my dad's garage while I focus on the house I've just moved into! In spring I'll take a look at the XJ6 again

• horriblemercedes changed the title to A bit of shite - collection underway
  • horriblemercedes changed the title to A bit of shite - Range Rover from HMC