2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDI (Ticking Timebomb Edition) for sale

RichardM1

Someone please save me from the gumtree mongs! I admit that this car is pretty much anti-autoshite but thought I'd chuck it on here anyway; at least "get this shit off of here" makes a change from "wots ur bst price m8" "do u wnt a pugeot' etc etc...

Ad copied across verbatim:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/sparesrepair-2001-audi-a4-tdi-avant-se/1156331860

For sale - 2001 Audi A4 (B5 model) Avant TDI SE for spares/repair

Mileage - 176,200
Engine - AJM 115bhp (remapped) TDI, 5 speed manual
Tyres - 225/45r17 all tread depths ok 3/4mm
MOT - September 2016

I've owned this car for two years and spent a significant amount keeping it on the road (full service history included). I've also made a number of modifications to the car. It's an SE model so has electric windows all round, climate control, full trip computer, door sill plates, 16 inch alloy wheels (changed for 17s but originals included), front fog lights and leather steering wheel/handbrake/gearknob

Faults:

- The flywheel (dual-mass) is showing signs of wear. There is a vibration at the clutch biting point and when accelerating hard.
- Smoking (mostly through the vents!) when the engine heats up after the car has been stood for more than a week. It's only done this once and stopped smoking after twenty minutes or so of driving which suggests it's caused by an oil leak in the engine bay that is being burned off
- There's a couple of patches of flaking paintwork mostly in the arches
- In cold weather the airbag light flickers for a minute or so after starting the engine, it never appears again after it's gone off, and never appears during warmer weather
- The windscreen has several chips
- 17 inch alloys are badly scuffed but basically solid; the 16s have patches of corrosion

There are some good points!
- Aside from the points mentioned above the car drives really nicely. The suspension and brakes are in good condition so there's no strange noises whilst driving and the car handles nicely. You'd be hard pressed to think it's a car with faults at all!
- Engine and gearbox seem to be in good condition. The engine is remapped to around 140bhp and pulls like a train!
- Apart from the bubbling paint the body and paintwork is in good condition. A few scuffs and scratches but nothing major
- Interior is in very good condition. LED interior lighting and good-quality tailored carpets
- Front and rear door speakers changed for good quality replacements. As I had an aftermarket stereo fitted the rear door speakers aren't wired to the stock radio. The front speakers and boot subwoofer work and sound good! 
- Stock radio fitted, it's an Audi Concert with cassette in the dash and 6CD changer in the boot along with a subwoofer - all working fine
- There is a towbar fitted and appears to be good quality but I've never used it
- Front centre armrest fitted (not OEM)

All in all it's a really tidy car, that with a few fixes and parts could be a reliable, smart runaround! It has cost me a lot during my ownership (as evidenced by the last MOT with no advisories!) There's too many parts to list here that I've changed and had changed but all is included with the service history.

Car is in Norwich, £500 ono (nothing insulting please!)

The car's in Norwich and is £400 to a shiter

$_86.JPG

Looks nice, clutch isn't a bad job on these. I did mine on axle stands in the road outside.

Dual mass flywheel is a bummer though, mine was single.

IMG_0109_zpsyhebg09w.jpg

Dog mechanic approves of the job you did dink; the Audi lasted until just a few weeks ago! It did incredibly well to get that far given it's treatment (what's the term for someone with the polar opposite of mechanical sympathy?)

• Like 3

Gah! I never twigged it was you, have you changed your user name slightly or is my memory just that bad?

I'm pleased to note that she made it past 200k miles, 211 at the last MOT.

What happened to it in the end?

Gah! I never twigged it was you, have you changed your user name slightly or is my memory just that bad?

I'm pleased to note that she made it past 200k miles, 211 at the last MOT.

What happened to it in the end?

I forget but I think I had to sign up again for some reason. Regarding the poor old Audi's fate, I'm told otherwise but I think it involved another car and a set of jump leads connected backwards...

Hope you're keeping well anyway!

Yes I'm good thanks, have got a thread on the go somewhere detailing my efforts at keeping my current shower of crocks going.

Was quite fond of the Audi, am now mainly driving a Berlingo which fits lots more stuff in but is not an inspiring drive.

Good to know you got a couple of years out of it (I think? Memory is poor but I think you had it off me in 2014?) I doubt it's properly dead, even if it has had a battery put across it the wrong way it should have just blown a fuse somewhere.

GLWTS etc, what are you replacing it with?

Yes I'm good thanks, have got a thread on the go somewhere detailing my efforts at keeping my current shower of crocks going.

Was quite fond of the Audi, am now mainly driving a Berlingo which fits lots more stuff in but is not an inspiring drive.

Good to know you got a couple of years out of it (I think? Memory is poor but I think you had it off me in 2014?) I doubt it's properly dead, even if it has had a battery put across it the wrong way it should have just blown a fuse somewhere.

GLWTS etc, what are you replacing it with?

I still follow the forum closely despite not posting often, I have seen your thread around. MiL has a Berlingo too and gets on very well with it.

I had the Audi in Feb 2014, apparently the mechanic said it wasn't worthy bothering with fixing it and it's been cubed/broken/sold for a profit. It's a shame I didn't get a chance to have a look at it myself, at least to get the cruise control stalk out of it!

My Audi is being replaced with a, dare it say it, a hopeless modern Mazda! I'll turn in my badge etc...

Nice, WOULD but have the rival e46 instead, which, I have to say I really like.

Good luck with sale.

Ta! Hopefully someone from Gumtree is coming tomorrow to waste my time kicking tyres etc. I did look at E46 Tourings at the time and remember they hold their value better, so it would have been a base spec 318. Nice cars though!