Where are the new rubbish cars?

Cavcraft

Hyundai  i10

Kia Soul

Any Pug

Most Nissans

Ok so they are mediocre but they are not even close to being as bad as things like Lada Rivas etc

Infact IMO the I10 is a decent little car, the base model is not badly specced - air con, USB port, leccy front windows, etc they are cheap for a brand new car, have a 5 year warranty, are quite nippy (1.2 85bhp in a car that small weighing so little means they go ok for the engine size) cheap to run, decent on fuel, if you were in the market for a modern reliable cheap runaround this is the car.

My vote for crap modern vehicle goes to the Fiat Ducato, we have a few at work as single car transporters and they are falling apart at under a year old/30K miles, they continually split coolant pipes and hoses, heater resistors don't last long meaning the heater only works on speed 4, the exterior trim randomly falls off, the dashes keep lighting up like Christmas trees, emissions lights, notchy gearboxes, duff linkages and one wouldn't select first gear unless you put it in 2nd first then into 1st, new pressure plate at 25K miles.

Isn't it the case that the crap cars of the past were merely 15 years or so behind the mainstream of the time? And isn't it also the case that the bargain basement motors of today are just about 15 years behind the mainstream of today?

Just as today's Ford Mondeo is a more advanced car than the Sierra of 1990, so today's Dacia Sandero is more advanced than the FSO Polonez or Lada Riva of 1990.

It's all relative.

I don't see it like this, no. If they simply were 15 years behind of today's mainstream, they'd be 15 years better (but still not half as good as cars were in 1986).

The thing with those Ladas for example wasn't that much that they were technically out-dated, it was much more that they were lightyears inferior of the Fiats they were based on. A genuine Fiat 124 is - contrary to any Lada - actually quite nice to drive. The engine is lively, the steering nice, the suspension good and it has four-wheel disc brakes. The Russians carefully removed everything that made the 124 enjoyable.