CHRYSLER/ROOTES Dealerships & Plants UK [SLIDES SCANS]

PaykanHunter

Came across some cracking slides lately and after hours and hours of sorting thru them managed to scan these super high res. They were tucked away some 40+ years, hope you enjoy them!... There will be more to come... :lol: Anything you can add to them beyond my descriptions over at flickr would be appreciated. Cheers!

7281021248_180ca5479c_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership-Hanlys Luton Way-Hillman-Singer-Commer-Dodge-2 by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281020786_b98d996e26_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership-Hanlys Luton Way-Hillman-Singer-Commer-Dodge-1 by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281022486_97063d7403_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership-Lindsay Bros by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281023202_f1bef23ebf_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership-Maidstone UK by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281025068_d25afa1970_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes-Service-Department-1968 by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281025832_0d38df5e90_z.jpg

Hillman-Singer-Humber-Sunbeam-Adams by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281026216_957d888bcd_z.jpg

Rootes-Ladbroke Hall-London-1 by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281027510_5c0ae15a3b_z.jpg

Rootes-Ladbroke Hall-London-2 by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281027586_7e6ed5cf1e_z.jpg

Rootes-Ladbroke Hall-London-3 by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281027694_0ba0d15d57_z.jpg

Westlon-Trucks-England-1970maybe by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281028668_19ebd1a8e1_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership UK-Normand Garages-1 by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281029136_bae6c7fa96_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership UK-Normand Garages-2 by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281029710_6035f19482_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership UK-Commer-Dodge-Karrier-Sign by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281030440_34d8b87931_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership UK-Thornton-Engineering by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281031640_649990b523_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership-Canterbury UK-Front-1970 Maybe by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281031740_569d11f0e5_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership-Canterbury-1970 Maybe by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281020260_e04b86f3cb_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes Dealership-Canterbury-1970 Maybe-Front-Side by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281024572_543b514a4a_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes-Ryton-Assembly-Plant by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281024158_9086dac2d3_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes-Plant-Dunstable UK-1 by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281024070_3e4d031a9b_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes-Plant-Dunstable UK-2 by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281023842_5b33436180_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes-Parts-Hillman-Humber-Sunbeam-Commer-Karrier by ShahinS, on Flickr

7281023414_9d589b94e7_z.jpg

Chrysler-Rootes-Linwood-Plant-UK by ShahinS, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing. Any idea where that Maidstone dealership was? It looks a bit like the present day Peugeot showroom

Interesting pictures,thanks for sharing.

The buildings of Rootes Maidstone and Canterbury Motor Co are still there,both somewhat modified,but still trading. Now as Robins and Day if i remember right.

Brian.

You are correct here is a recent photo of it. It was originally built for Clement Talbot Motor Works, it was UK's first purpose-built car factory according to this flickr photo, is that really true?

2248597969_835fe22fc2.jpg

Ladbroke Hall (former Clement Talbot Motor Works) by W10, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing. Any idea where that Maidstone dealership was? It looks a bit like the present day Peugeot showroom

According to the above flickr photo it is called Ladbroke Hall on Barlby Road and Rootes Drive London W10.

According to the above flickr photo it is called Ladbroke Hall on Barlby Road and Rootes Drive London W10.

They're photos of completely different places :?

Current Pug showroom is on Mill Street if that helps

They're photos of completely different places :?

Current Pug showroom is on Mill Street if that helps

Ha?... Didn't you mean this building?

7281027586_7e6ed5cf1e.jpg

Rootes-Ladbroke Hall-London-3 by ShahinS, on Flickr

As I was born in Canterbury, and used to drive past the dealer virtually every day when I was at the University of Kent in the 1990s, I love the Canterbury Motor Company photos :)

Pawnote: the brand-new office block to the left of the dealer is Clarkson House. It's still extant and is now owned by Canterbury Christ Church University. It has aged really well:

clarkson-house-large.jpg

8)

Yes,now a Peugeot dealership.The showroom in the picture is on Mill Street and the rest of the building is on Palace Avenue, with a pond between the road and the building. I have been to Maidstone this morning but forgot my camera. :roll:

Brian

So was I. I drove past on the way to Machine Mart but that's nothing new, I'm always in there!

Yes,now a Peugeot dealership.The showroom in the picture is on Mill Street and the rest of the building is on Palace Avenue, with a pond between the road and the building. I have been to Maidstone this morning but forgot my camera. :roll:

Brian

Oh... Please take a snap from the same angle if possible, I would love to see this dealership in its current Pug state!... Cheers!

Hey Mr PKH,

this place is (was? haven't been for a while) in Llandrindod Wells:

SDC11260.jpg

Those photos are about 3 years old.

Cheers! I have made a post in my blog about this building, very cool indeed!

Hey these are great, thanks!

Do you have any more? Like by any chance some of the old Rootes/chrysler place in Haywards Heath, West sussex?

My old man used to work there when I was a nipper.

Hey these are great, thanks!

Do you have any more? Like by any chance some of the old Rootes/chrysler place in Haywards Heath, West sussex?

My old man used to work there when I was a nipper.

Sorry that is all I got!... ;( I wish there were more thu.

Really fascinating stuff, right up my street!

Now I'm pretty sure that Normand dealership gained a story and became Normans Conquest Peugeot in Slough, on the Bath Road near Burnham.

Img210.jpg

I used to work there between 1989 and 1992. Unfortunately it has now disappeared and the building looks empty according to Google street view. The Norman family also had a VAG dealership in Maidenhead called Normand, but I think this must be the Slough one as Rootes/Peugeot was always based there.

This was posted by Lufthansa-Terminal over at One Shit per Post Thread, any idea where this Dealership was/is located?...

ray-powell.jpg

Wonderful photos. Thanks for posting them, and thanks for including large sizes on flickr.

Thornton Engineering in Bradford is now a little supermarket, but the building has barely changed.

You Welcome!... OMG! That is amazing the building hasn't changed much!... Thank you for the providing the location! :mrgreen: