BMW E39: Achieved

garethj

Just as others have said, the E39 is an extremely good looking car. I’m more of a Ford/Mercedes/Jaguar guy, but this generation 5-series is just wonderful. 

Back in the early 00’s when I was in the trade, most taxis in Sweden were Mercedes w210 estates and Volvo V70s. One owner I worked for had a BMW 530d estate. He loved it, even though it broke down constantly; turbos, fuel pumps, the engine shat itself at one time. This particular car was very fragile somehow as they’re known to be very reliable. It was terrific to drive, but not very good as a taxi compared to the w210 which was a lot more spacious and easier to get in and out for elderly. Still, I wouldn’t say no to a manual 530i. 

• 1 month later...

Another month, of which it’s been in the garage for a week🙄

I’ve done a few tank refills (750 miles range is nice) and it’s doing a genuine 50mpg, it might improve with the service, of which, more later.

I fucking hate that, tell me now or keep quiet until later, you twat.  Ok, the service was for the usual suspects of oil, air, fuel, carbon, pollen filters and oh, can you just fix the little weep of fuel from the pipe here?  When they took the pipe off, the fuel pressure relief valve cracked entirely.  BMW didn’t stock it, other places advertised it but didn’t actually have it so I sourced one from a breakers.

Other bits of fun at the service were replacing the leaky vacuum hoses so hopefully that will wake up the performance at lower revs.

It’s also had a new clutch and dual mass flywheel and while they had the gearbox out I asked them to renew the gear selector detents because the shift quality on the ZF 5 speed is notoriously rubbish after a few years.  It’s now pretty good, smooth and easy to shift.

I’m looking forward to putting some more miles on it now.  It was pelting it down with rain when I picked it up from the garage and parked outside in its gleaming blue paint with the rainwater beading nicely, it looks fucking fantastic.

image.thumb.png.1ad08fc1a9e4a14412d1340a11dcbe57.png

• 2 months later...