Davies four wheeled fun

Daviemck2006

im sure we all are
Theres never anything interesting to say about either of them. Which is good for me as it means both are working properly! Which then means I dont have to be fixing them, or paying someone else no I'm not so fit, every other week. The only spanner I've put on the caddy is a 10mm one last week changing the battery, and I've not put a spanner on the yeti in a year and a half. That's what I was hoping for when I bought it.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Gosh it's a while since I have posted on this thread. That's probably because I have had nothing to report! I have now though. Its 2 years since I bought the Yeti as my decent car. In that two years all it has cost is £45 for a clean MOT pass last year. The dashboard told me a couple of weeks ago it was due a service. The service interval is generally 20000 miles or 2 years. So as it hadn't had a penny spent on it in 2 years I thought I would treat it to a service at my local skoda dealer, which is a privately owned little garage with a good reputation. It failed the test on a broken spring and had 10 advisories. Most of the advisories are silly, and makes the car look like a rust bucket, at 9 years old, which it's not. Probably my usual trusted tester would have given it a clean pass once the spring was done, he may have advised on the rear discs, but they do not look bad to me. The result is that it just cost me over £600 for service and test! I am now officially skint! I am also pissed off at the car now being a fust bucket forever, and them quoting £276 for rear discs and pads.

20230127_123409.jpg

• 1 month later...

Due to a loss of income, and the requirement for modifications to the house for my deteriorating health I have sold my caddy. I have had to take a trade in, another vw, a touran 1.6tdi se from 2010. I wasnt really wanting a trade in, but got more for the caddy than I paid for it 19 months ago, and the touran is a good one. I dont know if I will keep it yet, although it will do what the caddy did, be a dog carrier to not worry about. It's done 167k but only 2 owners and the most comprehensive service history. It drives like 67k, not 167k. It has all the toys and it all works, and is shod with a full set of Goodyear efficient grips, which is a good sign, and cambelt/waterpump done at 60k and again at 132k, the invoice for that one present along with service and mot for over a grand! It lived in Sheffield all its life until the owner moved up here last year so shouldnt be rusty underneath.

The Skoda I still have a year to pay yet, once the better weather comes it is going to get underneath it wire brushed, treated and under sealed. I think the advisories it got will devalue it significantly, so keeping it until it disintegrates or breaks. It will get looked after.

The fast food shop I used to work for, who bought my previous seat leon 1.6tdi dsg, and had a caddy 1.6tdi, and a corsa combo  has managed to break all 3 of them. Probably because they never service any vehicle, they class an mot as a service and it's all the vehicle needs. First to go was the 11 plate combo, bought at 70k, managed to keep going, just until 135k. Scrapped. Then the 12plate caddy, bought at 55k broke a conrad engine totalled just over 100k. It's now repaired with a breaker engine and is for sale. Near 50k of getting thrashed over less than 2 years with no servicing taking its toll. My old leon, sold to them just over 2 years ago with 72k and it was well serviced and mint condition has been thrashed, bashed, never serviced, never had dsg box serviced now near 140k has, surprise surprise totalled the gearbox, he has had a quote of 5 grand to replace it, the car is now worth scrap price but he is so stupid he will probably fix it for that then sell it when with the mileage and condition even sorted it's worth not much more!