Leaky sump plugs

bigstraight6

Can any of you chaps offer any advice on a slight conundrum with a Mitsubishi spacestar? (apart from a gallon of unleaded and a box of matches :lol: )The vehicle in question is the free example my Brother bagged and I boshed up pics here at the time earlier this year. Well, a few weeks ago I carried out a service on the thing and had a right performance getting the sump plug undone, in fact I had to get the front end up in the air and use my trusty breaker bar to persuade it off, and once off noticed the copper plug washer was well and truly mashed.On refitting the plug, I used a Peugeot XUD washer that just happened to be in my toolbox, and appeared to be the correct size. Now my brother has been bending my ear off regarding the huge oil slick on his drive which is coming from a weaping sump plug :roll: Did I make a basic error by using the washer in my toolbox? perhaps Mitsubishi sump plug washers are special, mabe the sort with a rubber seal? Answers on a postcard please :lol:

I'm sure that most of the Japanese manufacturers use the compressable type, which can only effectively be used the once....As a rule, I always replace the sump washer (and usually the plug itself) when doing oil changes - Just to be safe.

Point to the terms and conditions on the receipt you gave him for the payment of the work, and if there's a case, either he can go to trading standards, or you could give him a refund. Either that or suggest a bag of cheap cement and a sweeping brush......................This is why I never work on families cars..........Was the copper washer on the original a squashy type or a solid type?Sometimes aluminiummakes a better seal if things are worn, or if they appear good threads and sealing surfaces, try the Ford type Dowty seals.....they work wonders.

Cheers for the replies chaps :) I think the type of washer with a rubber seal is what was fitted originally, and whats needed now.The Peugeot XUD item I used was a copper collapsable type washer, and the one I took off (when I eventually got the plug undone!) looked to be just a normal copper washer, though it was very crushed and distorted due to the plug being very tight.Looks as though whoever did the previous oil change used the wrong type of washer also, had some leakage and tried to compensate by over doing the torque on the plug....