Datsun Cherry crash

ajcherry

For those of you who don`t visit Datman.co.uk here is brief summary of my sad day.Today i took my 1973 Datsun 100a to Hove to have a stainless steel exhaust fitted only i didn`t make it there as i was hit from behind by a Honda Civic resulting in rolling my car on to its roof and almost certainly sustaining irrepairable damage.Thankfully i escaped with no injury at all.Here`s the pictures taken by the chap from garage.I`m the one in the last picture on the left drinking tea as if that would make everything alright again and in that`s me in the third picture trying to explain to the two policeman that this is not normally how a Datsun Cherry should look !( i trying to retain my sense of humour)

Posted Image

Posted Image

The picture of the Honda was taken after my Datsun was righted on its wheels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shit, that's most unfortunate. Good there were no injuries. Amazing how strong E10's are. Bernie rolled hers at 65mph+ and it didn't even break any of the windows. To be honest that looks perfectly repairable to me. I probably have a screen if you need one and I'm pretty sure I still have a pair of new rear doors knocking about. You're welcome to ahve any of the bits i've got if you want to repair it.

Bloody hell, that's terrible news! What sort of speed were you hit at to do that sort of flip?Hope it can be fixed up, it's impressive how well it's taken such a hit to be honest. Especially to say you've got out with no injuries.

sorry to see you'r misfortune but i have had a phone call tonight about a 100a for sale spares or repair in pontypool - south wales telephone number 01495785257 just in case it is of any use to you, i would but i have about 12 cars at the mo :twisted: cheers -aled

Looks repairable to me, can`t see any kinking of the A-posts or anything like that, in fact considering it rolled over that`s a bit of a result, got to look on the positive side and all that. Surely worth repairing given the cache Datsuns have now? And in any case it would be nice to see the hard little bastard get up and have another go. Then you need a silhouette of a Civic on your front wing with a line through it.The Favorit that I hit a couple of years ago rolled over in similar circs - Peugeot Expert drifted into it`s lane and dug into the rear arch for a couple of seconds, backed off and that was enough, it just spun out of control and was the wrong way up in an instant, and straight into my path.

Sh1t the bed Andrew! Glad to hear you're ok, and gladder to hear little Josh wasn't in the car. I really feel for you, I know how you were piecing back together the car. I really don't think I've got anything that Eddie might not have - particularly for the 4 door but if there is anything you need let me know.The next thing is to see what the insurance company says......

Blimey!!May I add my best wishes for the little beastie, hope it's repairable, glad you hopped out ok!I say hopped, but having clambered out of an upturned renault 4 a few years ago, I know it's not the most graceful of things for a grown man to be doing!!

Really sorry to see that AJ, but of course glad you're OK.Like others, I'm going to say try and put the 100A back together. It's you!If it's on a classic policy are they OK about you keeping the salvage? I know mine would be. If you can, try not to let the car go off to a storage yard somewhere as then it may just disappear in a sea of red tape and scrappies keen to chuck anything metal into the frag feed :evil:

:( That’s really bad luck; sorry to hear about the car but extremely glad you’re not injured. I know the E10 is a diddy car but I’m still trying to play out in my mind how it ended up on its roof!I hope you can hang on to it of course even if only for spares, but would be great if it can be repaired.

Good escape!

An alternative idea for you - don't claim on your insurance at all. Depending on how bad the damage is, it may be better not claiming when you take into account the loss of no claims etc. The car certainly looks in mostly good shape.

Here's one that I rolled earlier, that I did need to claim on. Me and my mate got out with barely a scratch, but you can do that when you're young...

Posted Image

Sorry to hear about this - just glad you were able to walk away (and drink tea!) afterwards.One assumes the Civic driver was at fault; I guess you have to inform your insurers even if the party at fault is the one who claims. Just make sure the car does not get taken to a compound and then disappears without your consent.Having been the victim (ha! my own fault) of a one-car accident recently, I rebuilt my 405 estate myself and would say that if you can get the parts you need, you should - although I would leave painting and panelbeating (assuming it will need some on the leading edge of the roof!) to the experts, as my own amateur paintgun ministrations are hardly concours!

Honestly, with no anti roll bars and soft suspension, it doesn't take much to invert an E10!

Thanks for all the kind comments.As Ratdat says it doesn`t take much to turn one over particularly if you are hit or hit something.I was only doing 10mph as i turned left, so a combination of this and the road sloping away was enough to make it roll over.

Here`s some pictures of the roof damage

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image:(