Ever fought this hard for a Montego?

R9UKE

I know I'm a little late here, but I thought you might like to know what happens to a car between arriving at a scrapyard (sorry, ELV recycling centre :roll: ) and being dumped on the heap waiting for the baler to visit.

All fluids are drained - this means engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, coolant and screenwash (!). Brake fluid is the killer, because the usual method of removal is to cut all the flexihoses. Same with coolant - many yards will remove the rad at this point because it is worth more to weigh in.

Wheels are removed, V5C is logged as scrapped with DVLA, COD is issued. Last job before adding to the pile is to damage the shell in a visible location (my local lot chisel a hole in the roof next to the NS B pillar) to show it has been de-polluted and COD'd and is therefore not a car any more.

Sorry, but even if it was clean and tidy (and not at all rusted out) that's a goner now. No way back.

I know I'm a little late here, but I thought you might like to know what happens to a car between arriving at a scrapyard (sorry, ELV recycling centre :roll: ) and being dumped on the heap waiting for the baler to visit.

All fluids are drained - this means engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, coolant and screenwash (!). Brake fluid is the killer, because the usual method of removal is to cut all the flexihoses. Same with coolant - many yards will remove the rad at this point because it is worth more to weigh in.

Wheels are removed, V5C is logged as scrapped with DVLA, COD is issued. Last job before adding to the pile is to damage the shell in a visible location (my local lot chisel a hole in the roof next to the NS B pillar) to show it has been de-polluted and COD'd and is therefore not a car any more.

Sorry, but even if it was clean and tidy (and not at all rusted out) that's a goner now. No way back.

My local yard also puncture the shocks.

Rich, that was great to hear, good on ya, keep at it with the Cambridge :D

Well despite all attempts this morning, the bloody place is shut. What kind of a scrap yard closes on Tuesdays???

But if they've done all of this.....

....there may well be no way back :(

If a certificate of destruction has been issued, and the V5 sent in as scrapped, it's had it's chips I'm afraid, IIRC there is no way it can return to the road - Short of ringing it.

Sad demise, but to be honest, it does look pretty past it.

That's not entirely true, the DVLA don't like doing it but they will, if you can show that your a worthy type and the vehicle is tested - I had to do it with a Shogun a couple of years ago that had a scrap marker against it. I wouldn't bother trying though, it's a pain.

Wow Luke, I missed this thread for some reason (Work probably) Have to say I agree with everyone else, its way passed saving and unfortunately some scrappies are lying twats who'll agree to one thing and do another, (just like ebay I guess)

I did tug at my heart strings seeing the car once being (sort of) cared for by its owner then seeing now on the scrapheap. I recently had to scrap my beloved White 825 Sterling, bodily it wasnt as bad as that but the engine had blown and the car was looking worse for wear, though before it went I did strip as many parts as I could so it went more or less a shell.

I love it! I know the feeling of seeing a particular car day after day for years and wanting to own it. The same happened to me with an immaculate mk1 sierra 2.0S that lived near me. I so nearly chapped the blokes door to make an offer on it on more than one occasion but it looked so well loved I thought he'd want stratospheric money.

Then one day I saw it under three other cars in Nobles scrapyard. Couldnt believe it.

If you really want the car, its worth the effort. Its still on the DVLA database so looks like the COD hasnt been issued yet. I know my local scrappy has a direct link to the DVLA database and as soon as they write on the scrap marker, the car is off the register straight away.

Get it home, welded and on the road, then block the old buggers driveway with it. that'll really grate his cheese.

Good luck.

Totally understand what R9UKE is going through - I have been in the same situation with a couple of cars that people up the street from me used to own, then when I finally had a 'gap' in my current fleet they had been either sold or scrapped.

If you really want the Monty then I'd act fast if they are as strict about CoD as they say they are then it'll be condemned permanently before the week is out I guess. Like others have said on here, try and weigh up the pros and cons of getting it back and decide if it's really worth it. Have you actually driven it before? It may not be up to your expectations when you finally get behind the wheel, or, it may be everything you wished for and more. Just don't let it get out of hand and spend shitloads on it if it's not worth it. Whatever you do, keep us posted, hopefully on how you managed to get it back from the jaws of death. I think Burnside on here did something similar with a Renner 19 he saved from instant cubing....

Right. The most impossible scrap yard I have ever had to deal with. It doesn't help that I'm in Northern Ireland.

Dad (who lives in Birmingham) has been round before work every morning and they haven't been open. I'm guessing they don't open until ten. Then for the past two days the phone has been off the hook. We've now found out from the first scrap yard that they're having trouble with the line. So I don't even know what stage of dissection the car is at yet! Just brilliant.

We're trying our best to get in touch, hopefully dad will be free to pay them a visit tomorrow afternoon. Poor guy has been there three times now. I have a feeling it's not meant to be. Not giving up without a fight though!!

Hope you save it mate. Good luck with the welding. My mate's Dad had the same spec and colour car, E32 XDT iirc back in the early 90's.I feel really old now...

YOU feel old? I remember renting these back in 86! A local firm had several, of which I drove 3, all 1.6L spec. I always liked the Montego, it felt so much lighter and faster than the equivalent Sierra.

Luke, I suspect you've built yourself a heck of a mountain to climb with this particular car, but I understand the desire to save it if you can. If you can beat the admin issues, I say go for it. It's not like you need to put it on the road within the week for daily use, I noted that you're looking at it as a leisurely project. Good man! Absolutely right.

Good luck.

Luke, if your Dad needs a hand retrieving this car then by all means let me know, I shall PM my number if you/he needs it. As I am working regularly, I might need a few days notice in order to let the agency know as they get pretty arsey about me taking days off, but if needs must then hey ho.

Much appreciated, thanks for that! :)

Eddy, that's exactly it. It'll stay in the Midlands, in my aunt's garage. I'm over about 6 times a year and it'll just be a shite leisurely project.

Hopefully tomorrow'll be the day, but he'll definitely pay another visit on saturday. Just hope there's nothing on top of it by now.....

Yeh so would I. The yard has been shut every time my dad has visited this week. The phone number is just ringing out. It's a bit of a joke and I'm well pissed off tbh. It's in here, the most impossible people to get hold off, can't imagine they sell much operating the way they do.

http://businessnetwork.co.uk/business-d ... ne-salvage

I work ten minutes away from there. If I get the chance next week (if I have driven to work or can borrow a works vehicle) I could try and pop up there at lunch and see if I can find anything out?

That would be great. Could well be a wasted journey for you though, given their completely unpredictable opening hours. But if you have some time to kill it would be much appreciated :)