What was the first car you ever wanted?

warren t claim

'Nother vote for the venerable Capri, I'm afraid!

There were two cars my dad got all far away looking, when he mentioned them. His Riley RM, and his mate's DS, from his RAF days. Those and the Aston DBS and 911 from a car mag he left for me once, all had a mystique about them to a junior me.

It wasn't 'til the fateful day we had to wait a while in the Ford dealers in Paisley, while they finished off fixing his 'Tina, that I had that moment. Y'know the one where it all makes sense, tho' you didn't know it didn't. I was sitting in a Capper when it happened. Don't recall what spec, and it doesn't really matter; the charcoal interior, sports seats and classic 3-spoke wheel I couldn't even see over, did it for me.

I seem to recall dad coming to find me, and me announcing to him that I wanted this one, when I grew up, and him finding it quite amusing. Well, I still haven't grown up, so maybe that's why I don't have one...

60_gordonkeeble.jpg

cant remember where i first saw one but

DRIBBLE

Thats the car i want most now. I regularly scour the classifieds to see if any are for sale in case I win the lottery.

There is a gold one with a webasto for sale in Nottingham at the mo and there was a red one for sale in the south of France earlier in the year but they are few and far between. I have not worn the lottery yet but hope that there will be one for sale when I do.

That is one sexy interior:

IMG_2586_412x309.JPG

I would be happy there.

Mk1 Scirocco - couldn't afford the insurance even back in the day (1990) or thereabouts.

Had a few since but never one that was roadworthy. :lol:

Moved onto a VR6 Corrado which I've had 2 off and would still get another tomorrow -

- and along the way the usual 911 but being on Autoshite the model one's are about my limit. :oops::cry:

60_gordonkeeble.jpg

cant remember where i first saw one but

DRIBBLE

Thats the car i want most now. I regularly scour the classifieds to see if any are for sale in case I win the lottery.

There is a gold one with a webasto for sale in Nottingham at the mo and there was a red one for sale in the south of France earlier in the year but they are few and far between. I have not worn the lottery yet but hope that there will be one for sale when I do.

That is one sexy interior:

IMG_2586_412x309.JPG

I would be happy there.

They are quite lovely. I used to sort of vaguely know a bloke in the Brackley area that restored them. They're the thinking Man's DB5 - still seriously undervalued for what they are.

First car I seriously lusted over when I could legally drive was a Peugeot 305 GT, and summoned up the courage to visit the local Peugeot showroom to feign interest in one. Think he knew I was bluffing as I kept running away from a test drive.

Peugeot305GTpeppermnt.jpg

So when the 305 GTX came out a year later I was salivating even more. Eventually got to own one ten years later, a 30,000 minter.

305gtx.jpg

And then a rusty old bucket a couple of years back, now unfortunately crushed.

Dscf1670a.jpg

I have always wanted a Mkvi Bentley.

Dad had one when it would have been shite - he ran a village garage that sat between a RAF and USAF base which was a fantastic location for selling shite olde english barges to the yanks. He took the Bentley in as a part ex (against a Minx!) when the raf owner took the head off and ran out of knowledge. It was soon up and running and it was the family car for a while but being a trader everything dad ever ran was for sale and the Bentley was soon sold. I was gutted.

One day.....

This beauty from Captain Scarlet:

spv_blueprint1.gif

5725826949_51d25877eb.jpg

The SPV, or Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle.

The doors (and attached seats) slid out sideways.

The occupants faced the rear of the vehicle, and navigated the road ahead by a TV screen in front of them.

It had many, many wheels.

It was armoured.

It was armed.

It had tank tracks on it.

It had a fin.

It made a cool noise.

Ownership wasn't really an achievable aim, to be honest, but practical considerations like that don't really come into it when you're six.

Difficult to say for certain, but I remember the whale tail 911s being around when I was growing up in the 80s. It's a toss up between that and the 959, which is such a strangely ugly supercar it's hard not to like it, especially in white with cloth seats mmmm.

A 1959 Impala "Flat top" Sport Sedan after a friend of my Dad's gave me an old black Corgi toy one he found whilst clearing out a shed 8)

chev-59-impala_0.jpg

A friend of mine in Manchester has one, Dan; four doors, hardtop, 348, black with red interior. It was his retirement present to himself and he's planning on keeping it forever. Naturally he and I both have several of the Corgi model. If yours was black from new it was probably the first-issue Highway Patrol model:

thumbnail.aspx?q=1185333254334&id=7c2dd9337e1cc0e4992415d6043de5f4&url=http%3a%2f%2fworthopedia.s3.amazonaws.com%2fimages%2fthumbnails2%2f1%2f0709%2f14%2f1_3fbf4d1b0c814d66bead7766d978c8ef.jpg

The white doors are no more than decals on a plain black body; the body is the conventional body-on-chassis construction. Later the casting was modified to make the lower half a unit with the chassis, and the Highway Patrol livery was modified to suit:

1_474485fba77eea9e8c2ed960dcecfe51.jpg

It's pure style and I love it.

A series three Land Rover, when I was about 6.

Bloody glad I didn't, the father now has a 2A, and having got to know it (and rebuild the diesel engine which died on the way home from father buying it) I respect it as a tool, but a pleasant thing to drive it ain't.

How very bloody dare you! I must have low sights.... or a high tolerance of shite. I drive mine daily, and wouldn't change it for anything. Well.... maybe an AC Aceca Bristol or Greyhound.

A series three Land Rover, when I was about 6.

Bloody glad I didn't, the father now has a 2A, and having got to know it (and rebuild the diesel engine which died on the way home from father buying it) I respect it as a tool, but a pleasant thing to drive it ain't.

How very bloody dare you! I must have low sights.... or a high tolerance of shite. I drive mine daily, and wouldn't change it for anything. Well.... maybe an AC Aceca Bristol or Greyhound.

:lol::lol: In fairness to the Land Rover, I have to say that my Uncle has a Series 3 diesel which I have only driven briefly but was more pleasent in that the (later 5 bearing) diesel feels less likely to explode at any time, and is rather smoother.

When I was a lad, I wanted a Fiat 500 with a fur interior and to work at MIRA (the Motor Industry Research Association, not the people who make showers). Don't ask me why....

Later on I wanted a P6 Rover, after driving a 3500 at work. Looked at a couple of ropey 2000's... one day maybe.

Thinking about it, my first memories of being completely in awe of a car were of a Range Rover my dad had for a short while. Must have been '74 or '75 and I think the Rangie was an L reg.

It seemed so bloody huge and it would go anywhere. That's probably to blame for my love of the things now.

• 5 years later...